Rega's ISIS CD player is here

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

As we said in our review of the Sooloos, the analog output is not that great, it needs an external DAC. That's why I wished the ISIS had an SPDIF input in addition to the USB. Think of the Sooloos as a transport, not really a player.

Currently, I use the Sooloos with the Wadia 781 SE as a DAC.

2. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

So, Jeff, how does the Rega compare to the Weiss Menerva DAC?

3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Well from what I read on Pink Fish (Post #61, by PF member Avonessence), the Isis beats a CDS3/555PS...! If this is true beyond the confines of his world, it is an amazing CD deck and a bargain at that (what's a CDS3/555PS go for? $15-20k? And the Naim CDS3 is a great player...)

I gotta hear one of these.

4. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

I would be surprised if the Isis sounds better than my Ayre C5xemp and the Ayre is $3K cheaper. But I have been surprised before . . .

5. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Keep us posted on the sound quality of this player...

6. TONEPUB

Full review will be in our November issue (#25)

7. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Wow...after only a day the Ayre is clearly inferior? Do you have Ayre equipment in house? Where did you hear the new Ayre DAC? I think in the past all I have heard is "it's not all that" or something like that.

It's interesting to hear a reviewer so clearcut in his/her opinion of one mfg against another mfg. I guess it's okay because there is such a huge price differential.

Rega should be commended for offering a DAC and player in the same box. Although, many at this point will simply be looking only for a DAC solution.

I'd be very interested to hear some serious comparisons between these new aysnch DACs by Ayre and Wavelength vs these DACs by the Brits (Rega and Naim). This is especially in light of the fact that Ayre/Wavelength seem to be marketing that other DACs are inferior without the asynch jitter reduction. Of course, the sound of a component is of many factors and I wouldn't be surprised if the Regas and Naims simply sound better.

8. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

So then it's better than the Weiss or Berkeley? Have you heard these two? They are less than $8K.

9. TONEPUB

Got one here.....

As soon as it arrived, a friend of mine who owns the Ayre wanted to bring it over so that he could show me how the Ayre "would trounce" the Rega (and everything else in the known universe).

The Ayre is an excellent product at it's pricepoint. And just like the Rega, seriously limited by the fact that it doesn't have an SPDIF input.

I have the same gripe about both products. Perhaps Ayre will make a higher priced version of their DAC with both inputs, as I think this would give it much wider appeal. Not everyone is using a computer as a source. I'd certainly pay another $1000 for the Rega if it also had an SPDIF input.

Personally, I'd like one piece of digital hardware that just lets me do everything: USB DAC, SPDIF DAC, disc player and music server.

10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Does anyone know why these manufacturers are not putting in a SPDIF input on these high end CD players? Seems like this should be a standard feature especially considering how much these players cost.

11. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Not to mention Firewire DAC, as Firewire is a superior way to stream than USB.

Does the Isis play only Redbook CDs? What about SACD?

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

13. TONEPUB

The Sim is a very exciting product, but if I recall correctly, about $20k. I've got my hat in the ring to get one for review, so we'll see.

As for the other questions, the Rega only plays CD. And I think the percentage of people using FireWire as an interface is pretty small. I'd be curious to know more about that.

14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Is it? Asynchronous?

Since there is no implementation of asynchronous Firewire because no operating system supports it, I'd go with async USB.

15. Macman

Macman Senior Member

They make wonderful equipment. I recently heard their Andromeda player and it's great. And built like a tank, and about the size of one too. I've never seen a player as big.

16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Sim Audio, Bryston and Classe are all outstanding high-end Canadian audio manufacturers ... :edthumbs:

17. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Yes they do make some real nice stuff. This is the new product I'm most interested in:
    http://www.simaudio.com/moon300D.htm

18. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

I have a Rega product that does sound better than the Ayre -- my P9 TT. So if the Isis can get to that level, sign me up.

On second thought, no. Cueing up the P9 is like eating potato chips -- it sounds so good and its so easy to use, you can't play just one record.

19. TONEPUB

Depending on the cartridge and phono preamplifier you are using, the ISIS will definitely get you in the ballpark.

20. jgarnet

jgarnet Active Member

Jeff, how do you think the Isis compares to the McIntosh MCD500?

21. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

I am curious about that too.

22. TONEPUB

It's a pretty huge step up from the MCD 500. Though I really like the fact that the MCD 500 does have an SPDIF input and can play SACD's...

23. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Speaking of which - did you get any feedback from Roy on why SACD was not included in the Isis' capabilities?

24. TONEPUB

They (as most mfrs) don't feel it's a format worth investing in, concentrating on the large install base of CD's instead, while addressing the future of computer based playback.

You rarely get to have everything!

25. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What is SPDIF used to/from anyway, in this context? I think I've seen it on the back of digital audio workstations(?), but had no idea what for. Why should a device like the Isis want one?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.