Rega's ISIS CD player is here

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TONEPUB, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

Hmmmm...what about the Ayre DX-5? Wouldn't that be the ticket?

2. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I appreciate your posts here and your magazine.

I'm surprised you can still keep your sense of humour considering the crap you are taking in this thread.:eek:

You have thicker skin than me :wave:

3. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Only if you like buying your tickets 2 months in advance.

4. Puma Cat

Puma Cat Forum Resident

True enough, but kind of applies to the Rega Isis as well.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I've enjoyed reading about this. Five to ten years from now, I may be getting a used one.

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

And Rega will have (2) transports in stock reserved for each Isis it builds. So service/support will not be an issue:cheers:

7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Now we're talking ... though I think you would have to make considerably more than a million a year or at least marry a VERY rich wife. Monte Carlo is mighty expensive, and Michael made more than $1 million per race in his prime.

Jeff, in any event, I appreciate your commentary on new equipment. You've certainly listened to a lot more equipment than I have time to audition, and your insights are quite helpful. I'm a vinyl guy but do have hundreds of CDs that I would like to be able to listen to in a "serious" way. The notion of being able to get a CD player for under $10,000 that at least approaches the top dCS, Naim, Burmester, etc. players is interesting to me. BTW, have you heard the new ARC player and is it a serious contender in this arena?

8. triple

triple Senior Member

I never thought about this before, but now I realize that providing a good power cord and perhaps interconnects with a player in this price range is not a bad idea at all. This way the manufacturer makes shure (well sort of) that the player will get certain working environment that will not undermine its performance. Even power cord haters who refuse to spend money on something like this could enjoy the benefits if they were willing to, like Hal above. ;)

Another nice touch is when the manufacturer provides quality footers with its players, like allegedly Accuphase does.

With IC's it is pretty obvious to most users that they should be of certain quality, while with power cords and footers it is quite another astory. I attended a local hifi trade this weekend and one would not believe their eyes what dealers do in their rooms - tube amps lying on the carpet, 8 box Audio Note system connected with generic power cords plugged into el cheapo extension boy and so on. All these rooms produced pure sound, but people did not seem to care as long as they could take photos of impressive gear. OTOH a room with Nordost Odin power cords and their Q power filters produced lovely midrange...

Goran

9. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Hal:

I've heard the ARC, but not in my system, so hard to tell. I'd give it a listen.

Give me a shout if you want to talk about the ISIS sooner. Or just fly out here for the weekend!

10. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

If you believe the F1 rumor mill, Michael Schumacher's wife will soon be back on the market and will certainly fit the bill; although I'm more inclined to go for one of Bernie Ecclestone's daughters...:cool:

11. kg4big

kg4big Forum Resident

Now were getting there. If it isn't made in Minnesooota I don't want it :)

I can only afford used stuff but 1.7 - 2K will buy a REALLY nice CDP IMHO.

Ken

12. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

They are more popular in UK and Europe but they don't have any dealer yet in the U.S.
    Any one who wants to distribute this award-winning CD player?

13. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Here's another nice sounding current model CD player!

Lyngdorf CD-1 from Scandinavia

Attached Files:

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Phil, do you have any idea why Lyngdorf would put top vents on a CD player?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I guess it runs hot. It looks like an amp on the sides (surface area for efficient cooling).

Off the top of my head, the only players I've owned with vents on top are the Harman-Kardon CDR 2 and CDR 30 CD recorders.

16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Sometimes manufacturers will attach the voltage regulators to the heat sinks on the sides of the machine. Vented covers on solid state machines are indeed there to let heat escape, probably because the output stage maybe run Class A.

17. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Maybe just borrowing casework from one of their amplifiers to save money?

18. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

Yes, usually Class A output stage or on other units tubes implemented somewhere.

19. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Thanks for the kind offer. I've been too busy making money so I can afford these things to take the time to listen to these things....

I think I may have a problem.:sigh:

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member Thread Starter

Just get that "rich wife" like me and we can both start goofing off!

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's a good plan. ;)

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Actually, I own some Denon players that I wish had vents on the top (DVD-3800, '2900, '3910, '5910CI). Denon players tend to run very hot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.