Rega P10 & Accessories - Mega Review!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Can't say I've ever heard anything that made me sway from Rega carts. I favor Dynavector because they're solid quality, the manufacturer jumps in if there's an issue, there's a nice big percentage break on the price if buying a new one or upgrading, and they sound utterly killer, IMHO!

You would need a Spacer to make most carts you mentioned sing, though.

It isn't a problem at all.

The screws don't need much tightening at all. It's just that us men tend to overtighten screws and in this case, they barely need much tightening at all!

The actual bit where one has to be careful is sliding the spacer under the lifted tonearm base as doing this quickly or in a haphazard fashion will result in some scratches on the ceramic.

2. jaaansen

jaaansen Active Member

… and they sound utterly killer, IMHO!

That is what I am experiencing with a Dynavector 20x2h in another system, mounted on a Thorens TD1500! Dynavector plus spacer is definitive an option!

KT88 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  3. paul cbc

paul cbc Senior Member

Great review.
    A wonderful contribution to the Forum.

Thank you!
    :shtiphat:

Bill_H, wwright and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I used a couple of DV carts for years on Rega decks with wonderful results. I have an Apheta now and find it just as nice. No issues either way.
    - Bill

redwun, Echoes Myron and jaaansen like this.
  5. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Forum Resident

@Strat-Mangler great material. I have the older RP-10 which most of what you are mentioning still applies to.

Can you tell me more about your experience with the groove tracer.
    1) why did you decide you needed it? I have the stock (apparently 100g weight for RP-10). I was not aware that this might not be heavy enough. Have not had any issues so curious what was on your radar that you felt like you needed to upgrade here?
    2) What did you hear in your system that made you feel like azimuth adjustment was needed on your P10 playback? Were you sensing that one channel was brighter than the other?
    3) how much "tilting" adjustment did you attempt with the groove tracer, what were the results in your playback?

Echoes Myron and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

1) As the review states, I noticed that as far back as the counterweight could go, it provided superior SQ so I wanted a heavier one that could provide the same VTF I'd need with the counterweight being as far back as possible, hence why I got a heavier one.

2) Nothing made me feel as if it needed adjustment but I wanted the ability to fine-tune it, if needed. A discrepancy of 1db between channels is inaudible and unnoticeable to human beings. Mine is 0.6db which is extremely good.

3) I eyeballed it and then confirmed via my PC. The stereo image as a result is terrific.

Hope this helps.

7. Strat-Mangler

ABout the message above, I made a mistake in my haste to complete it before heading back to work.

I meant to say that I've never heard anything from a Rega cart that made me swoon, hence why I prefer other manufacturers' carts.

Apologies for the confusion.

8. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Excellent synergy between Rega tonearms and Benz Micro carts. Highly recommended to test one.

mpw123 and jaaansen like this.
  9. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

What a fascinating, fantastic review. I have had my P10 for around 9 months and can only concur with everything you have said. It is a fantastic turntable and endgame for me. I may opt for a different cartridge next time around but the turntable stays.

[​IMG]

10. Buzzman3535

Does anyone reading this chain happen to have experience with the RP-10 vs the P10? I've been curious for a while if the P10 is just a newer version and sounds +/- the same as the RP-10 or if there was a significant sonic upgrade?

2nd question, on my RP-10 I upgraded the tone arm cable to an Audioquest Angel cable (great decision IMHO huge impact for my system). I had to add little aftermarket feet under my RP-10 to give me enough clearance underneath the turntable to use the Angel's 90 degree DIN connection. A bit annoying, but worth the hassle again in my opinion. The P10 feet look upgraded and look like they can create more space for an aftermarket tone arm cable upgrade. Can anyone confirm? Have any P10 owners tried?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

There is exactly 1 1/8" of clearance. Or 27mm, if you will.

12. Rathpex

Rathpex New Member

Thank you for the great review. I picked up a White Rega P10 about 3 or so months back. I am really loving it (my first foray into the world of HIFI).

What I have noticed is that my tonearm is very very close to the record, especially once the record is finished. It has more clearance at the start, but when it has finished and i lift the cueing platform it is so so close to the record.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am thinking I will just adjust the cueing platform a few mm and it should sort the issue out. Can anyone think of any issues this may cause me?

Thanks in advance, and I really love this thread :)

Echoes Myron and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

You're quite welcome. Which cart are you using?

14. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Just wanted to say that this really was a fantastic review. Thanks for the information.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. geoffr

geoffr Lifeguard in a carwash

Damn, you guys have me thinking of selling one of my TD124s to help finance a P10.

GyroSE, Strat-Mangler and SCM like this.
  16. Strat-Mangler

[​IMG]

17. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I began happy reading this thread
    That is until the word Clamp and Nordost came up, they are both horrible things with a Rega, bye bye

18. Strat-Mangler

The Nordost cabling was with the VPI. The clamp is optional and is only used for a handful of records. All of this is clearly stated.

Someone skimming a review that took so long to write and making rash wild foolish judgments without taking the time to understand the words used within said review is wholly unneeded. Don't let the door hit you on the way out! :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
    MonkeyTennis, micpoc, eddiel and 7 others like this.
  19. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

I'll add that my entire loom is Nordost, because it sounds better in my system than others I have tried (Kimber, Cardas, Audio Quest, etc at the same price level) and I use the Michell Orbe clamp upgrade on my Gyro SE because, and only because, it improves the sound. I speak as a former Rega owner who thoroughly enjoyed @Strat-Mangler's review.

jonwoody, GyroSE and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. Buzzman3535

Has anyone tried replacing the Rega P-10 or RP-10 belts? I have been having some speed calibration variation lately and thought it would be a good move. Has anyone else had this issue?

When I am listening at 33RPM (verified by RPM app) and then I change to 45RPM, I have to manually adjust the speed on the speed controller about 6 clicks to have RPM verify its running correctly at 45RPM. Have to do the same adjustement then moving back to 33RPM.

1) anyone else had this issue, did changing the belts help?
    2) anyone know how these RP-10/ P-10 speed controllers work? Is there a way to make a "setting" that would keep me from having to manually adjust every time? The manual says that its factory set, but something must have gotten thrown off. The RPM app seems to be pretty reliable and consistent so i don't think its a measurement error.

21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Rega P10 and RP10 factory-tuned speed has been basically flawless across the half-dozen units I've worked on and/or used.

What is not accurate is the RPM app because it relies on the mechanical sensor in a phone.

Unless you check speed with a high quality strobe disc and strobe light, you're probably not getting accurate results.

redwun, jonwoody and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Agree with @Agitater the setting on the power supply should be the same for both 33 and 45. Setting it for one carries over to the other. But unless the belt is old or your bearing needs oil you should never have to touch it. It comes perfect from the factory.

I have had some sucess with the "turntable speed wow and flutter" app for android, but a strobe is the only way to be sure. There are many strobe discs that can be printed from the internet. If a strobe shows there is still a problem and you are in the US, recommend contacting the Rega distributor Sound Org for help. They have been great for me.

Question for you--what tool are you using for the speed adjuster on you RP10? I was messing with the speed control pot when I had a problem and got very worried that I would strip it out. I have found the new Rega reference belts run slow, so might have occasion to adjust it again. The Neo speed control tool doesn't fit the RP10. And the little flathead screwdriver I was using made me concerned I would strip it.

jonwoody and GordonM like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

I wouldn't suggest using a gyroscope. Buy a stroboscope device like the one I used (mentioned and linked to in the first few posts). That will you a perfectly accurate reading. You're likely going to be surprised at how inaccurate your phone was.

MGW and jonwoody like this.
  24. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

And if you want to keep it all Rega, they sell a strobe kit:

Rega Strobe Kit – designed to evaluate the speed of any turntable

MGW, Echoes Myron and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Buzzman3535

Ok good feedback thanks. So if anyone cares enough to google the P-10 user manual there is a line in there that Rega believes the RPM app is accurate. Its in the speed control section, i think that is interesting. But disregarding that for a moment @Agitater sounds like you have some experience with these Rega speed controls. Is there any reason to think these RP-10 units would lose speed control after a few years or "degrade"?

If its as rock solid for years and years as described, maybe I can return these belts before i use them.