Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium" on LP getting closer to being released, look at this.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

My god, the deluxe one is over £60. Rip-off city.

2. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

£68 is just a rip-off.

3. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

$100?!
    I could barely afford the bus fair to my swim club!

4. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Hello Pedro :wave: Welcome.

I understand your concern. This is something which appears to be a difficulty, but becomes of little concern once understood and done in practice. Many people today are less familiar with the mechanics of vinyl playback, and feel that the compromises and variables must mean the result will be inferior and difficult to make satisfactory without very expensive high precision. Fortunately this is not so. Once you have a good system and have adjusted it within specifications, the results are satisfying and good enough to rival or equal the digital formats. I too would like a SACD, but I would not say that the vinyl will sound worse than the SACD would on ~$300 equipment. Instead I would say some things will be better and some things worse. The recording will make more difference. If the vinyl release is from a better sounding source than a CD, it will sound superior to the CD on any good vinyl playback equipment.

There is no perfection in vinyl playback, but we should understand that there is no perfection in the digital playback either. The variables which do exist in digital playback are beyond our ability to change by mechanical means. In vinyl playback, some of the control is in our hands and is not difficult. I hope this explains in a way which makes sense for you and eases the concerns.

5. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

6. Tubeman

Tubeman New Member In Memoriam

I've decided the CD doesn't sound bad after all.

7. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Aw come on guys. That kind of money isnt much when it comes to audio, in the scheme of things (Im not telling you how to spend your money...just saying audio is expensive). If I didnt really like RHCP though....I could see how it might turn you away. But face it...4 180g LP's with some exceptional packaging is difficult to keep the price low on. I recently bought a 4LP Hendrix Voodoo Boxset that was in the similar price range.

8. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:sigh:

Dear Steve,
    I remember a post wherein you said something to the effect of:
    "I kinda feel bad that you're paying so much for my DCC remasters"
    granted it's an audiophile pressing with special treatments
    AND on 4LPs
    but if I'm getting this right, the red wax edition pushes near $100
    what are your feelings?

-T3hSD

9. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Diversevinyl.com has it at £33 which converts to roughly $62. Divide that by four albums and it costs $15.50 per album. That's close to what a new single LP costs.

10. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I started reading this thread and got to the Rubin interview on page 2. I've lost all respect for this guy.

Yeah OK. I couldn't possibly disagree more. In fact, it's IN MY CAR that I can hear distortion that accompanies smashed masterings, including everything obliterated by Vlado Meller, ESPECIALLY System of a Down. I guarantee this clown that I will pick the un-smashed version.

11. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I dont think theres any scenerio where compression would be favorable in music. If in fact someone thinks it is....then its probably not the best set of circumstances to be listening to music in the first place. Ok...so you can hear all parts of a song in your car while a train goes by....uh??? It all has to do with music taking a back seat to MANY other daily activities and entertainment.

12. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Yes, that is true; so they smash it all to the limit to make their CD heard over the din of daily life, much like commercials on TV or FM radio.

I reacted that way because I never expected to see Rubin himself agree with such mastering. I had always thought it was record company schmoes, then I learned that most engineers think "louder is better"; then I learned that most artists just want their CDs to "pump", without knowing what that means; now here's a producer with more clout than most presidents who just falls in line. What a joke.

13. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Along the tangent here, I've never agreed with "make it sound worse so it sounds better." Overcooked sound never sounds better to me no matter what it plays through. Better always sounds better. The "methods" to "make it better in disadvantaged environments" are many and stretch back almost to the beginning of recorded sound, all of which prove regrettable and leave distortions that cannot be undone.

Now in recording, I do feel that compression / limiting techniques have a place used intelligently; there is such a thing as the progressive loss of volume with distance from a mic and so forth, which a skilled engineer works around to achieve a satisfying sound through the electronic medium. Overcooking sound is a fantasy which indulges the insecurities of some people's egos. It gives them a false belief that they are controlling things that are out of their hands and make them so hip because they believe they are making their product best for The Real Tough Worldtm. Reality however has the laugh on them. If they're overcooking it for radio when everyone who knows anything about radio knows their technicians will go over it themselves anyway, well, their ignorance and ego is showing. If they're trying to blast at the listeners because they're not listening, er - they already lost. Overcook it and people who are listening turn it all down that much more. Making something sound worse makes something sound worse.

14. claypool

claypool New Member

Well...it's a 4 LP set so I guess it's not too expensive for a quality vinyl set.
    And I assume the standard edition will probably be only around $40-50 at the bigger stores like Tower if jpc.de can sell it for 50 euros.

15. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium" on LP getting closer to being released, look at t

You might wanna take all your Beatles albums and burn them. There's compression all over them. Everyone is confusing good analog compression used in recording with bad digital compression used in mastering. Without compression in the recording stage, most of your favourite records would sound like a wet noodle.

16. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium" on LP getting closer to being released, look at t

Wax, and the rest of you, as I said in another thread, PLEASE wait for an official release date and price. This place is turning into The View with all the yenta-ing. Everyone relax! You're all basing the price on some UK import price.

17. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley New Member

Buy the standard version, or be happy with the cd.

18. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

If it wasn't such a mediocre record it might be worth all this money. HMV have weighed in with the cheapest price on the deluxe yet - £59.99 delivered or £29.99 delivered for the standard. Amazon at £40.99 for standard and £99.99 (!!) for the deluxe.
    Don't care who mastered this one, I'm not buying it just for the quality of mastering at that kind of price, when the music simply doesn't justify it.

19. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

that's not bad
    i hope it comes to stores
    no way am i dealing with S&H

20. claypool

claypool New Member

The standard version is £25.99 at 101cd.com. The deluxe edition is £52.99. These are so far the cheapest prices I've come across.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.