Red Hot Chili Peppers New Album - I'm With You - Out 8-30-2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikemoon, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Some people want it on vinyl whether it sounds better or not. I buy vinyl because I love vinyl and vinyl packaging, not because it [sometimes] sounds better.

2. Bill Camarata

Bill Camarata Listening When Possible

I like it a lot! Despite what a lot of the posters here are saying, I find it a logical progression forward from Stadium, with the signature tunes there to keep us reminded this is RHCP, and I like the fact that Anthony's putting a little more rapping into his lyrics, a throwback to early days. I'm just holding out for the vinyl because I know it will sound better than the CD (or what I've heard so far).

3. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Can't say I was that knocked out by it on first listen. But I never really got into SA either beyond a few songs. Seems like Klinghoffer's style is a bit closer JF's than Dave Navarro's. I always liked One Hot Minute. I think it's probably better than the last couple with JF...and the new one.

4. pinkpotato

pinkpotato Forum Resident

OHM was a fantastic record!

5. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

:righton:

6. It's funny you write that, because the 2:20 - 2:35 part on Monarchy of Roses sounds like Dave Navarro on a Janes's Addiction album.

7. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

As I listened to this for the first time (with headphones) I found myself turning it down, then down some more, then down some more until I gave up about 2/3rds of the way through and turned it off.
    I'm not sure if it was 'loudness fatigue' or boredom that caused me to give up on the record. Probably both.

Doubt I'll listen to it again, so no need to buy.

8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

First listen....

Mastering: I'll put it this way = not the best in dynamic range. I didn't turn this up.

Music: This band can play. "Brendan's Death Song" is a great example. Some great playing, a melodic hook.

Will the music prevail over the mastering? For me Yes. Maybe the vinyl will be better.

9. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I agree that 'Brendan's Death Song" is an outstanding track though!

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I haven't listened to it yet but if it's anything like Stadium Arcadium, I'll probably love it.

BTW, speaking of crappy mastering, someone posted this at the Stadium Arcadium forum:

I. did. not. know. that.

11. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

What album are some of you listening to?! I've listened to I'm With You 8 times during the last few days and I must say it's one of their best (up there with BloodSugarSexMagik and Californication).

Also, don't rush to judge the mastering. I've heard 2 different CD copies of the album, as well as the compressed stream. One of CDs had a really nice soundstage, the other was slightly compressed. Not sure which one we're getting in stores...

12. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

Great track! I'm also really digging "Did I Let You Know." Couldn't get "Ethiopia" and "Brendan's Death Song" out of my head yesterday.

13. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

You probably heard a pre-master copy if it was through an industry source. A pre-master copy is the only way some people can listen to their 1999 album 'Californication'.

14. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I listened to the iTunes broadcast and while some songs are great, I turned it off 2/3 of the way. It's just too loud, I can't see myself listening to it at home or even on headphones.

15. Well that's depressing to hear. :( Andrew Scheps, the other guy in charge of mixing, did half of Stadium Arcadium, which was mixed really beautifully throughout.

16. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

Agreed, I have listened to this album a few more times and nothing is speaking to me. I will not be purchasing this album unless I see this in the bargain bins later on.

17. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I'll wait until the vinyl comes out and then decide to buy it or not.

My Stadium Arcadium CDs are basically just drink coasters now.

18. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Couldn't afford real coasters?

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Listening again to "Brendan’s Death Song" The chorus build up to this crescendo ending is some powerful drumming by Chad Smith, reminds me of Keith Moon at his best. This is one catchy song....

905 likes this.
  20. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

It's going to be interesting to see how the new guitarist fits into this great band.

21. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

One thing I noticed in an interview that he appears to actually be MORE awkward than John was. Not easy to do.

22. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Regardless of LOUSY mastering (this album sounds like $h!te throughout, even on my 10 dollar Koss headphones...distortion everywhere)....I freaking LOVE this album. I listened to it 3 times today and I am VERY impressed. I may even like this better than Stadium Arcadium...it seems more solid, with less filler. (and I loved Stadium)

Standout tracks include:
    Monarchy of Roses
    Factory of Faith
    Ethiopia
    Look Around
    The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie (which has grown on me a LOT)
    Happiness Loves Company
    Even You Brutus?

23. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

I have heard the pre-master for Californication, and it is easier on the ears.

24. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I bought Stadium Arcadium the other day and Californication and By the Way today. I was sure they couldn't sound as bad as you all were making them out too. Remind me to never doubt you people again. My ears are still bleeding. I guess I might as well get the new one to see if I can totally go deaf.

25. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Closer to Queen than Beatles!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.