Recording "Red Rubber Ball" by The Cyrkle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John B, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I assumed so but then again I didn't buy the CD for that fortunately.

2. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

It is a great collection (all three are), and it sounds great, so you really can't lose!

3. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I think Neil Diamond's version is the best. I wish all his Bang records would get released.

4. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I regret not keeping them back in the day but luckily I got them for a somewhat decent price.

5. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

Thanks, 'DoctorDave' and Mark F., for the detailed info on the Sundazed Cyrkle cd's. It sounds like they're worth getting. I'm encouraged by the positive comments on the bonus tracks, and the straight transfers (no remixing!).

It's a minor shame that Sundazed didn't see fit to include the mono 'hit' mix of "Red Rubber Ball"- they sure must have had an option/shot to do so. Oh well, nobody's perfect.

I still can't believe I didn't include "Turn-Down Day" on my 1980 comp tape- I really liked that song, and gave it a lot of airplay back in the day. Then again, this was an 11-volume 'Best of the Sixties' project I did...sure wished I did a Vol. XII: there's a lot of stuff off the beaten path that I could have included from vinyl back then, and wished I had now.... .

Guess I'll just have to spring for those two Sundazed Cyrkle cd's.

6. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

They are definitely worth getting. They are well done (as most Sundazed projects are), and are true to the original albums from a sonic perspective. Lots of cool pictures as well. In addition, the instrument balance on "Turn Down Day" is correct on this disc, since they used the original stereo source tape. The remixed Greatest Hits disc on Legacy uses a remix, which is well done, but has the "sitar" way too low in the mix. The 45 balance was actually a little hotter, but as we have noted, it's pretty unavailable....although there is a video floating around on You Tube which has the original 45 audio in good sound......although it might be running a tad fast.

7. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I have always loved that song!

8. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

:righton: Once again, great input, 'DoctorDave', especially considering that you've got the original vinyl (stereo and mono) to compare the Sundazed cd's against: that's the kind of insight and perspective I really appreciate. Am also glad to hear that "Turn Down Day" has the correct musical balance from using the original source tape. I was also wondering about the "Greatest Hits" cd from Legacy that I just ran across in my All Music Guide Book, and you neatly answered my pending question- the GH cd is apparently a remix.

One final (for now...) question: how good is the "Neon" album? How would you rate/compare it to "Red Rubber Ball", which is all I ever had on vinyl from them? Thanks again to you, and others, in advance-much appreciated.

9. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Hey, don't me wrong about the "Greatest Hits" CD on Legacy. The sound is a definite upgrade, with sparkling clarity and definition......but some of the remixes are just a bit off in places from the original mixes......so it's both a blessing and a curse. Overall, I like it, and Vic Anesini did a really good job with it....but it's not perfect.

"Red Rubber Ball" was a unique debut album, being on a major label, with the talented Roy Halee engineering, and John Simon producing.....and it didn't hurt to have a couple Paul Simon songs to work with, either. The Cyrkle also had a very unique vocal blend that really stood out. In my opinion, the album is about 75% good, with 2 or 3 sub-par songs, 2 hit singles, some really well-produced album tracks.....and one over-looked potential single ("Baby You're Free") that should have been the follow-up to "Red Rubber Ball".

"Neon" is a more adventurous album, yet still maintains that upbeat Cyrkle sound, while heading off in some different directions. They never really got a hit single off this album, although they tried several times. "I Wish You Could Be Here" and "Please Don't Ever Leave Me" should have been hits, and who knows why they weren't......but they make great tracks on this album anyway. I think the only real clunker on the album is their cover of "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You". It's takes some real guts to cover a Beatles tune to begin with, and they did give it a very different arrangement....but somehow, it just doesn't fit in the context of the album.

When I find I'm in the mood for Cyrkle type music, I usually end up reaching for "Neon" more than I do "Red Rubber Ball". Your mileage may vary.

10. dyno guy

dyno guy Forum Resident

:righton: Awesome again, "DoctorDave'! Think you've convinced me to get both Sundazed Cyrkle cd's. Also appreciate the clarification concerning the Legacy "Greatest Hits"- sounds like there are inevitable tradeoffs as with any remixes, although the improved sonics and detail you describe are certainly tempting. The starting point for me will probably be the Sundazed cd's with their original mixes. I really appreciate the review of "Neon"- the first one I've read.

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was just relistening to my CBS Special Products cassette entitled "The Rock n' 60's." This version is sooooo different than the one we normally hear. All the percussion during the chorus is gone, and the calliope is gone. Someone said earlier that this may have been a different take of the song. Anyone know for sure???

12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Not an alternate take. It's simply a remix error. IIRC, they went back to the multi-track tapes and corrected.

13. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

See my comments in post #16 in this thread...

Derek

14. Beatle Bob

Beatle Bob New Member

""Red Rubber Ball" was not not kept out of the #1 slot on the Billboard Hot 100 Charts by Tommy James' "Hanky Panky". It peaked at #2 on July 9, 1966 behind The Beatles' "Paperback Writer."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.