Recording Ray Charles' "What'd I Say"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MMM, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. posieflump

posieflump New Member

The mono "What'd I Say Part 1" appeared on its own on that Rhino Atlantic-era comp which came out about 15 years ago. (Sorry - haven't a clue of the title.) Sounds good, too.

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i think it was a Rhino release a 1 disc best of atlantic years disc has the a side of this single.

3. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yes!! ;)

I did a little perusing through my own collection, and I've got the song on a few different CDs....

What'd I Say (Parts 1&2) - The Very Best of Ray Charles (Rhino, 2000) - 6:28
    What'd I Say (Part 1) - The Ultimate Soul Collection (WEA, 2000) - 3:06
    What'd I Say (Parts 1&2) - The Rock 'N' Roll Era: 1959 (Time Life, 1988) - 5:08
    What'd I Say - Respect: The Soul Generation Soundtrack (Universal, 2001) - 5:06

If the 6:28 track is the full version ("Parts 1&2") and the 3:06 track is the single edit ("Part 1"), then what's the deal with the 5-minute version on the other two compilations? It's obviously a longer version than the single, but is it just edited down a bit from the full version? Or could it be some kind of unique version? Also, notice that one of the 5-minute versions is labelled as "Parts 1&2" (but is clearly not the most complete "Parts 1&2"), while the other 5-minute version is just called "What'd I Say" without referring to "Parts" at all.
    :confused:

Yeah, the main thing that got me curious about the versions in the first place is that I'm almost certain I remember hearing some bits in the 5-minute track (or at least SOME version somewhere) that weren't in the full version... :shrug:

4. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Historically the 5-minute "What'd I say, Pt. 1&2" has the correct labelling, as it joins the two parts of the original single edit in one seamless performance. The 6 1/2-minute stereo version that was issued on LP in 1964 also has that title, but it's actually incorrect, as it was a new longer edit from the original multitracks and had nothing to do with the original single version. Why they chose it to label it "Parts 1 & 2", I don't know.

The last two examples you mention (5:08 and 5:06) are obviously the same, with one having 2 more seconds of silence at the end...

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Y'all understand this now? It can get complicated!

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

For the most part, yes, just edited down, although the "party" section on the full stereo mix is a different take. It's actually not hard to splice in the correct bit from the mono though.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

On the Rhino Very Best of Ray Charles CD this tune is obviously mastered from vinyl(one can hear the surface noise); were the master tapes destroyed in the infamous Atlantic fire?

Evan

8. Steve Hoffman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTIP_FOdq24

Above is the 1964 stereo mix of the "long version" of WHAT'D I SAY.

Not much reverb on Ray's voice.

If you hear a LOT of reverb on Ray's voice you have the 1959 mono "hit" mix, either in a separated A&B version that came out on 45 or the same mix with the two parts edited together with a middle section. This 1959 version of the song has an edit piece in the middle that contains an additional overdubbed dialogue track.

Mono hit 1959 mix, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeXuGP5aPPg

Crappy transfer but the above is the 1959 LP version of the 1959 mono mix.

Both mixes were recorded and mixed by Tom Dowd.

Now, there are TWO MORE mixes of this song, both quite rare. A 1961 Tom Dowd mix of the long version that was mixed to mono only for a Ray Charles "pick up" album "Twist With Ray Charles" which is nothing special and never reissued anywhere, and the unissued (except on a 1959 DJ 45) version that is rare as heck and never issued to general public.

9. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

Never really noticed before: that '59 LP version with the edit pieces has a distinct pitch change at the cut into the edit piece (the final beat of horns before the spoken break).

Laservampire likes this.
  10. il pleut

il pleut New Member

Yes, McSon, but some of the SwingTime and DownBeat 78 record labels say "Maxim" or "Maxin". So even the record company couldn't get it right.

11. Steve Hoffman

Jarring, ain't it?

Does anyone have the 1959 Atlantic 45 RPM DJ ONLY record? If you do, can you post both sides here? It sure is an interesting variation of the song. I have a DAT of it that Little Walter DeVenne made for me but maybe one of you has a cleaner version of both sides? It's like Dowd took all the leftovers and outtakes of the 45 RPM hit mix and used them to cobble together the DJ version. It's weird and pointless but quite unique (if you dig this song, that is.)

12. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Great article thanks.

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:agree:
    I have the ~6:30 <<STEREO>> version on the Uh Huh: His Greatest Hits compilation and also The Birth of Soul Box Set.
    I Have the mono ~5:00 version on the 8 CD Atlantic Rhythmn And Blues 1947-1974 Box set.

Which version is on:
    • What'd I Say (Parts 1&2) - The Rock 'N' Roll Era: 1959 (Time Life, 1988) - 5:08
    • What'd I Say - Respect: The Soul Generation Soundtrack (Universal, 2001) - 5:06
    Stereo or mono?

Is the stereo 5:08 version available on physical digital media?

I see that the (supposed) 5:08 stereo The Great Hits of Ray Charles Recorded on 8 Track Stereo is available for download from amazon.

I have limited internet at work, so I'll have to check that at from my home computer.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not aware of any stereo ~5 minute version commercially. It is possible to *make* one, and I've done it, but as far as I know all releases of the stereo mix are the full ~6:30. "The Great Hits..." certainly should be, as that was where the stereo mix was first released.

Any ~5 minute version should be mono.

15. stereoptic

Thanks Luke. One more dumb question - the length of the track What'd I Say on the original The Great Hits.. LP was ~6:30?

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As above, yes. According to Steve one of the reels for that album is where the stereo master tape resides.

17. stereoptic

thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.