Record Store Day Ethics (Offshoot from RSD 2024 Thread)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Snoddywilko, Apr 12, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Gaslighting people by saying they are ‘jealous’ is a sign of NPD.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I personally doubt it's envy as much as it is wishing for a communism approach to RSD, meaning no special treatments. I get it. Really, I do! But the reality is that RSD is just one one day and stores need income all the way throughout the year to stay afloat. No matter how successful RSD is for any shop, not a single one will profit enough to be able to pay the bills for the rest of the year. Therefore, it makes sense to cater toward the people who waltz in yearlong and buy your wares throughout the remaining 364 days of the year - prioritize the ones who prioritize your business, so to speak. :)

3. GimiSomeTruth

Oftentimes stores have to deal with elitist blowhards who TELL them that they are a good customer, and bully the owners into complying with their selfish wants. Stores are so afraid to get negative online reviews, they allow these Karens Of Vinyl to run amok and get ‘preferential treatment’.

Those who proclaim ‘I’m a good customer’ are very rarely good customers. The good customers are the ones who are cool, don’t make waves, and everyone is happy to see when they walk in the door.

riverrat, No Static, Markyp and 4 others like this.
  4. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

So wait, they started a thread with "Ethics" in the title, then basically did a "I got mine early, you all suck" post without mentioning ethics?
    Someone explain the point of this thread to me?

For someone who doesn't care about RSD stupid rules, how about posting about the actual content on, you know, a music forum???

Anthrax, Bill_H and MonkeyTennis like this.
  5. BornToBoogie

BornToBoogie Forum Resident

If I form an indie band they will be called Karens Of Vinyl!

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  6. Suddenly This Overview

Suddenly This Overview Forum Resident

This thread got separated out from the original RSD thread by a Gort, so that it wouldn’t clutter up the actual discussion.

Strat-Mangler and troggy like this.
  7. GimiSomeTruth

One of the gorts moved posts out of the main RSD 2024 thread. It all started with the first post, where someone flaunted that they got theirs early. A few people posted in defense of the rule breaking, but mostly it’s been a pile on of people pointing out how lame it is to brag on the internet about cutting in line.

riverrat likes this.
  8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

There is something to be said for the good customers being the ones who want everyone to have an equal shot on RSD rather than getting stuff early. I mean, fair is fair. If you're really that good, you'll get in the queue just like everyone else.

9. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

RSD has become more like Black Friday in some instances. That has discouraged me from participating and I am okay with that.

Bill_H and overdrivethree like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I ended up here by mistake as I was going to look at the original RSD 2024 thread. But I have a simple rule here, I don't trust anyone or believe anything they say if they limit/block their profile from other members. @Bradd some good responses from you upthread! I may not like it but hanging out waiting for the record or records you want on RSD is part of the event, even if it's a PITA at times...

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

You bet. That's why I dislike when folks foment it.

riverrat and Snoddywilko like this.
  12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The majority of the people complaining would do the same thing as the OP given the opportunity.

13. Lemon Curry

No. Some, I guess. As they say, character is how you behave when no one is looking. I'm going to be an optimist and suggest we have some character here.

Bill_H, GimiSomeTruth and grouploner like this.
  14. MonkeyTennis

MonkeyTennis Billie Eilish style

Generally, I enjoy your posts. Generally, we see eye to eye(ish). But now, now comrade... :)

And, personally, I suspect the issue was less jealousy, and more to do with the OP acting a bit of a dick about it. You might well get a favour on the QT, but at least exercise those 'grey cells' to keep your gob shut. And, failing that, when you get challenged, better to offer a mea culpa rather than doubling down.

And anyway, that being said, all together,

So come brothers and sisters
    For the struggle carries on
    The Internationale
    Unites the world in song!

:D

Bill_H and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Hence I wrote "majority" which leaves room for those that really would turn that offer down. : )

Strat-Mangler, 4-2-7 and Lemon Curry like this.
  16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

The difference is they wouldn't post about it.

Anyway I believe him. You wouldn't know his friend's record shop, it goes to a different school.

No Static and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Oh I agree with that. OP is definitely bragging to rile people up. Most people know to stfu about a good thing.

18. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Yes. The books you are getting are mass market releases that will be available anywhere, and if demand exceeds supply, the publisher will print more.

RSD titles tend to be limited editions, not available in all shops, and sold for one day only.

Two completely different situations.

19. Lemon Curry

Yeh but I'm suggesting "majority" as well. I mean, it's a form of stealing, right? Stealing time, sleep, opportunity. If my local record store owner offered it to me, I would in-fact move on to another store for my business.

Actually, unethical behavior IS at the core of why I don't visit a particular store anymore. I'm in Bergen County, NJ. I'd bet a few others here know who/where I'm talking about...

20. pauluz

pauluz Forum Resident

Then there is my big bug bear. The YouTubers in the so called vinyl community who receive RSD titles for free in advance.

21. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

To the OP: Do you happen to know how many of each of the titles you picked up did the owner of the shop receive?

22. Arndur

Arndur Forum Resident

Just an FYI, the RSD guidelines say NOTHING regarding talking about and unboxing product ahead of the release date. It is actually ENCOURAGED to promote the event. Sale of said product, on the other hand, is strictly prohibited. Not sure why the "ETHICS COMMITTEE" is in an uproar about my video. Get your ducks in a row before you start bad-mouthing people. I will be up at 5am on 4/20 to get in line and buy the other RSD release I want.

Country Rocker and Markyp like this.
  23. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

IIRC, used to be stores weren't even allowed to open the boxes until a specified time before RSD.

24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

At my main record store I spend an average of $2000 + a month, and it goes up from there. Easily I exceed that if high dollar collectables come in like $500, $1000 and $2000 records pop in. Or if he gets a very nice collection in and I'm buying up a very large portion of it. This has been going on for decades and the reason I get the treatment I do there. I never really shop online for any records unless it's mandatory, if it's something he doesn't normally get I tell him to get me one. Most definitely if I shopped online for new retail stuff I could probably save some money, but he takes care of me with used records also that I get far cheaper than anyone, anywhere. Most people whining in this thread would never even shop locally if they can save a couple of buck online.

On RSD titles I spend around $1000 each year, Black Friday can be a little cheaper due to less records. I came home tonight with 13 RSD titles, cost $500. Plus I didn't know I had already bought the Nugent records that were in my bin in the back room this past month. I'll probably be going to RSD on Saturday morning as well to pick up some more records and watch the feeding frenzy.

The store I go to is pretty cool on RSD, people are never A-Holes and we tend to try and get records for each other. I'm always handing over a copy I only got one of to someone who really really wants it. I myself have had other people do the same for me because they heard what I was in search of and come up to me say here I found this and knew you were looking for it. I personal have been doing this so long, no record is all that important to me, more will come when you least expect it.

25. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A SHMF Truism
    There is an inverse relationship which exists:

The more “Thread-read” there is to do, the less there is to care about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.