Record Store Day 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryan, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serge

serge Forum Resident

the lips box.its going to cost like 100$ i bet..it will be easy to get.

2. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I've heard that it's going to be 125.00.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The Hendrix b-side is a Noel Redding original recorded December 20th 1967. Jimi on lead guitar/bass, Noel playing Rhythm. Don't think it's been booted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FvIE3N0Zc
    Dance - Redding original with Mitch vocal. Acetate source. Jimi lifted the guitar riff for Ezy Rider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnShYsMAmk
    Noel song/vocal. Acetate source.

3 Noel tracks were attempted/demoed that day. Earlier in the day they did a piano overdub on Crosstown Traffic with Dave Mason present.

4. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

From R.E.M's website:

R.E.M. RECORD STORE DAY SINGLES ANNOUNCED
    Record Store Day is coming this April 16 and R.E.M. will have not one but three seven-inch singles in individual gatefold sleeves available at participating independent record stores. The 45-rpm discs include Überlin, Mine Smell Like Honey, and Oh My Heart. All live B-sides are previously unreleased.

Disc 1. “Mine Smell Like Honey”/ “Supernatural Superserious” (live in Raleigh, NC)
    Disc 2. “Oh My Heart”/ “Harborcoat” (live in Riga, Latvia)
    Disc 3. “Überlin”/ “What’s the Frequency, Kenneth?” (live in Oslo, Norway)

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

When did they play "Oh My Heart" in Latvia? :confused:

Oh, I see that only the b-sides are live.

6. TooLoudASolitude

Just the B-sides are live.

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sundazed has some exclusives up on their website too that i don't believe made their way to other lists

8. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Cool! Here's what's currently listed there.

Velvet Underground - Foggy Notion/I Can't Stand It -RECORD STORE DAY- Limited Edition 7" Single

John Mayall and Eric Clapton - Lonely Years/Bernard Jenkins -RECORD STORE DAY- Limited Edition 7" Single

The Yardbirds - Goodnight Sweet Josephine/Think About It -RECORD STORE DAY- Limited Edition 7" Single

Freddy (Freddie) King - Wash Out/Butterscotch -RECORD STORE DAY- Limited Edition 7" Single

The International Submarine Band (featuring Gram Parsons) - Safe at Home MONO LP w/ bonus 7" Single -RECORD STORE DAY- Limited Edition
    - The bonus single is Truck Driving Man/The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming

9. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

+ a big 1

If there was any event that has got so distorted to actually achieve the opposite of what it should be doing it is this.

This should be something that regular visitors to indie shops get some nice exclusives as a reward for supporting high street indie stores.

All it is now is a bunch of (rude word) people buying up everything they can so they can flog it at vastly inflated prices on ebay to the real fans who couldn't get it on record store day.

And instead of some genuinely nice items the big companies are just ripping off fans by pressing up useless 7" singles for silly money.

I think it's a real shame what has happened. The only way for this to work now is if shops issue some kind of loyalty card that you can add points to during the year and redeem for the record store items.

10. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Well there will be one almost exclusive to Bristol single if you can get along to Rise or Wanted, though it's Lovers Rock so I'm not sure that's of any interest.

11. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

BIG difference in Comic Book Day and a key word you left out... it's actually called FREE Comic Book Day. And at least around these parts, they publicize it really well -- Diamond, the comic distrubutor, does lots of promo materials (posters, banners, t-shirts, etc.) and makes them available to the stores. Maybe the geniuses behind Record Store Day should try something like that.

12. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Only one I'm interested in is the Gorillaz live 2xLP, because I collect all their vinyl releases. Not a bad band to do so, either, seeing as they all went quickly OOP. My record store holds anything you ask, so I'm shooting them an e-mail right now.

13. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

I'll get the Grinderman sparkly vinyl...that's it.

14. TooLoudASolitude

I was thinking of mentioning that as well. I'm a comic book collector and would agree that Free Comic Book Day has so far been much better run than Record Store Day.

Basically all the major and many of the smaller companies publish and distribute to stores various free comics for that day. The shops do pay a small price for them however. Maybe older classics are reprinted or new titles to get people interested. The main difference is that on Free Comic Book Day you can pretty much go to any comic book store and pick up the free comics you were looking forward to and they will be there.

My experience with RSD? Stores get in a couple of these limited editions (1-5 copies and in some cases none at all) while people line up and run to the bins to grab them first. A couple hours later and a lot of it is posted on ebay and selling for crazy prices like last years Stones single.

I've enjoyed attending all the Free Comic Book day events. No panic or 'every man for himself' mentality to scoop up the few remaining records people can get their hands on like RSD. I like RSD but I'd rather they do away with the limited edition angle. I don't suggest keeping the RSD titles in print but try to make enough so everyone who attends RSD can go home with what they want.

One last point about the limited edition nature of many of the records: I thought RSD was designed to get people into their local record stores and to help the stores out with some good sales for the day. The one record store I went to told me they were only able to get in 3 copies of the John Lennon Singles Bag. They were all gone in under the first minute of the day. The rest of the day they probably could have sold 20 or 30 more sets if they had them based on how many people kept asking if they had a copy of it left for sale.

That makes no sense.

15. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

Haven't read this whole thread yet, but has someone mentioned the 2 x 78rpm of Good Vibrations b/w Heroes and Villains by the Beach Boys? Very interesting.

16. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Some Rocksteady or some dub I would be keen, not a great fan of Lovers Rock.

I think Head in the Galleries are also taking part.

17. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm afraid we have no Rocksteady and as we turned the whole thing around in three days we went for what we had the rights to without renegotiating for the rights to do singles, that happened to be Lovers. I've no objection to Head, they seem to have improved since they were reborn and have some nice Ace vinyl, it's just the other two push our product more.

It's strictly limited to 250 numbered copies so I'm not sure there will be many leftover for the rest of the UK, I don't think anyone will be making a killing on ebay with it, but stranger things have happened.

18. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

19. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

On the other hand, I was in an indie record store last month, and they had five copies of the George Harrison All Things Must Pass vinyl reissue and five copies of the Doors' mono debut LP from last year's Record Store Day.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

From the interview:

Too funny.

21. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

Here's Merge's list of RSD releases:

WILD FLAG – “Future Crimes” b/w “Glass Tambourine” 7-inch
    The hotly anticipated debut release from the new musical partnership between Carrie Brownstein, Mary Timony, Janet Weiss and Rebecca Cole will be released exclusively in 7-inch form on Record Store Day! Produced by Spoon’s Britt Daniel, these tracks have already become viral hits through widely circulated videos taken during the band’s recent tour dates. Maybe this 7-inch will answer the question posed by WILD FLAG: What do you get when you cross a hamburger with a hot dog?

Superchunk – Here’s Where the Strings Come In CD/LP reissue
    Out of print for years, Here’s Where the Strings Come In has been remastered by Jason Ward at Chicago Mastering Company from the original 1/2″ reels, and will be available for the first time on 180 gram vinyl (with download coupon), and on CD newly packaged in LP-style cardboard sleeves. The heavy-duty vinyl jackets were re-printed at the original printing plant, Stoughton Printing Co, from the 1995 release. Both formats will also come with a download of exclusive bonus materials from the Superchunk vaults.

Caribou - Swim (Remixes) 12-inch
    Originally released as a digital-only companion to Caribou’s acclaimed 2010 release Swim, the Swim (Remixes) double A-side 12-inch features “Leave House (Motor City Drum Ensemble Remix)” b/w “Jamelia (Gold Panda Remix)” as well as a code to download the entire 14-track release. Limited to 1000 and packaged in a European-style black sleeve, this 12-inch is a must for DJs and Caribou fans alike!

Polvo – Celebrate the New Dark Age 12-inch - Autographed by original line-up!
    Originally released in 2008, this re-issue of Polvo’s guitar-twisting seven-song EP on limited-edition 180-gram vinyl is a Merge hallmark. Complete with great sleeve design by Independent Project Press, and a free download coupon. Exclusively for Record Store Day, a limited number of this vinyl EP have been autographed by the original 1994 Polvo line-up!

Superchunk / Coliseum – “Horror Business” b/w “Bullet” split 7-inch
    Merge Records and Temporary Residence Limited have partnered to co-release “Horror Business” b/w “Bullet,” a limited-edition 7-inch of Misfits covers from Superchunk and Coliseum for April 16 – Record Store Day. Limited to 1,500 copies and available exclusively in record stores, the 7-inch cover was designed by Coliseum singer/guitarist Ryan Patterson, with a nod to the artwork from the Misfits’ Three Hits From Hell single. The 7-inch will be issued on three different colors of vinyl: Yellow w/ Black Splatter; Magenta w/ Black Splatter; and standard Black (500 copies of each).

I'm going to assume that the Here's Where The Strings Come In reissue is just being released on RSD and isn't a limited item.

22. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

The suggestion, as yet unconfirmed, is that these two tracks will, at the time of release, be unique to the 7" being live versions recorded at The Carousel video shoot last December.

23. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

In my mailbox this morning from The Decemberists:

April 16, we'll release Live At Bull Moose, a limited edition EP in conjunction with Record Store Day. The seven-track CD—which will be available at all participating independent record stores—was recorded live at our January in-store performance at Bull Moose in Scarborough, Maine, and includes songs from the new album, as well as The Louvin Brothers' “If I Could Only Win Your Love.”

24. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Saint Etienne fans :

Saint Etienne on 45
    7" One
    Avenue (radio edit)
    Stranger In Paradise
    7" Two
    He's On The Phone
    How I Learned To Love The Bomb
    7" Three
    Lose That Girl
    Swim Swan Swim
    7" Four
    How We Used To Live Pt 1
    How We Used To Live Pt 2
    7" Five
    Boy Is Crying
    Northwestern
    7" Six
    Shower Scene
    Aqualad
    Strictly limited edition box containing six 7" singles. Each of these singles has never been on 7" before and the b-side tracks have not been on vinyl before
    6 x 7" box set

Looks like a UK RSD item.

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

ryan adams release too...

hope i can snag one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.