Record Store Day 2011

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bryan, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I just want the Flaming Lips Warner Bros vinyl box.

2. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

I want the Flaming Lips as well. I wouldn't mind these either:

4) Crystal Castles 12"
    5) Daft Punk 12" TRON (CONFIRMED)
    6) Nirvana Hormoaning EP (reissue of Australia only release)
    34) V/A MUTE Record Compilation VORWARTS (w/CD) features tracks by Yeasayer, Can, Moby, Liars, Grinderman, Mick Harvey, S.C.U.M, Big Deal and more (hand numbered out of 1000 copies on ORANGE vinyl)

Jimmy Eat World Bleed American 3LP Deluxe (2000 numbered copies) Is this the ORG release? I'd rather just order straight from Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc vs. standing in line hoping to grab a copy that might not exist. For the 12" I want, I'll have to give it a go, but at least with the Lips, I can buy direct.

3. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I asked Wayne and all he said was "Record store day..!!", although he could have been thinking of the black version, so take that for what you will.

There are going to be 5000 copies of the black box and 1000 of the colored one, though.

4. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

RSD comes with mixed emotions:

1. I don't like the really rare items (last year's U2, Rolling Stones before that, etc.). I don't believe they promote the spirit of the day...they solicit a ebay flippers who wait in line, rush in grab the item rush out and post on ebay for 10x th price.

2. I do like the items that are limited to where if you don't buy them on RSD you may miss out...it motivates collector's and fans to attend that day with confidence a reasonable arrival will produce availability....getting the supply right is a forecast...too much and the item loses the "limited" appeal, too few and it becomes #1. I do see the RSD day overstocks still looming in stores....

3. I don't really see the interest in re-issues of songs and albums I already own....for example: I love REM but didn't see the need for another vinyl copy of Chronic Town unless it's an audiophile improvement..."Rumors" I assume will fit this description. I'm not sure what to make of the Kate Bush AF release...do I get it for better sound vs. my original LP or just as a collector's item w/o any need to open? I'm not really interested in the later. I like being offered a subscriber's purchase option...nice move.

4. I do like Collector's editions of new releases...it's fun to buy a limited and better packaged version of an album I want to buy for the first time.

5. I like the celebration in stores on RSD....how about some contests, sales, etc.

5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Well for one thing, it will be interesting to hear the four cuts with more room to cut the grooves resulting in better sound. I like the novelty aspect of it, I admit. When you look at the list of items being presented for Record Store Day, you will see a number of singles and such that contain tracks already on full length albums. Bruce for instance. Both of those tracks are on The Promise. But let's not forget one of the purposes of a single..it's to feature outstanding tracks from an album. Same thing with an e.p. In this instance we will get an e.p., with Kate Bush's co-operation, that will feature four tracks from that album and let them stand out a bit from the rest of the pack. I agree....Hounds Of Love is and excellent full-length album, hands down. But how many times have we, as collectors, reached for that piece of vinyl that already contains tracks that we have on an lp or cd just because it's a cool format or there was something unique about it? Be it the color of the vinyl (last year's Flaming Lips) or the size of the format such as an e.p. or 45? Last year's Bruce or Stones each containing tracks that were available elsewhere but unique on that particular format...in this case 10" or 7".

With the Kate Bush Hounds Of Love e.p., we get not only a unique format (10") but also colored vinyl. Sure, it may be for collectors only. But really, how many non-collectors are there on line at Record Store Day as opposed to collectors? Most likely the folks that grab it will already be familiar with the music but let's not forget one of the other reasons that e.p.'s and singles were released....to get you to take a chance with the full product if you like what you hear...or to give you a reason to buy the product if you didn't want the full product or couldn't afford the full product.

Plus, if Kate Bush is saying okay with product like this, I'm okay with it too. :D

I agree on both counts!

6. gmoney80

gmoney80 Forum Resident

God i hope i can get this set

7. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

Me too, even though I already own original copies of all five albums.

8. I'll probably go to RSD but would rather pick up some other stuff than what's been listed so far. Hopefully they will beef up inventory for RSD so there will be more LPs there than usual (besides the RSD-specific stuff)

9. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

Record Store Day is just "good clean fun."

Where are The Beatles, Monkees, and McCartney stuff?

I'm somewhat keen on the first 2 Petty albums on colored vinyl...

10. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'd dispute all three terms individually and in the aggregate. ;)

11. Spyder

Spyder Official vinyl solicitor and connoisseur.

No rare or bonus tracks on the Kate Bush EP. It's 2 tracks from each side of the album.

And yes, they will be available outside the US for those stores willing & able to import them. That 1000 units is worldwide.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What on earth is that Hendrix 7 inch B-side "Touch You"?

Is this the 6th(?) exclusive Hendrix track that's only available on some difficult to find 2-track release? J-292, 12-Bar, PIM(45 & cd single), Bleeding, CTTM(Mitch 88 vocal) and now TY?

Basically, for any Jimi fan outside US/UK(sometimes) you can ONLY get it through ebay. Some of those tracks are fairly essential.

13. I guess they have not done a good job publicizing or promoting this event as I have never really heard of it before, and I regularly frequent many independent record stores in St. Louis (Vintage Vinyl and Record Exchange, for example).

14. readandburn

readandburn Active Member

:bigeek:

15. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

You really only hear about it if by chance a band you follow is releasing something special and mentions it on their twitter and facebook and website. Or if you look around at signs at stores.

There's also a Comic Book Day, about as famous among those who know of it.

16. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Never heard of it. I'm sure most people outside of our community don't know of RSD either.

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I'd like to get the Derek and the Dominos single.

18. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Me too!!! :righton:

19. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

pretty much all of that 7" stuff is a bunch of "quick bunch" rubbish. novelty releases hold no currency for me whatsoever. and as you pointed out, there are some serious questions about the limited nature of those releases. I've seen basically all of the so-called limited stuff from last RSD in record stores all over the country. the only point at which they appeared limited was on the day they were made available; after that, you could find anything you wanted wherever you chose to look.

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I really want the Flaming Lips box set... hope I can get a copy. Last years Record Store day had me so miffed.... as the store I went to only gets limited copies of items, and even being early in line, people just push their way into the store and start grabbing stuff.

On top of that, many stores "overprice" the items they know will sell out or be collectible - and they get the price too.

But what really unnerves me is the fact that so many of these items are limited, that when you get to a store they have very limited stock or none at all. Then with the rush of people the items fly out of the store and you are left with a sour taste in your mouth.

Yeah.. Record store day gets me to go to my independent retailer (where I go anyway), but it doesn't leave me with the feeling that I really want to buy anymore from them since the way it is handled. I don't blame the store for this problem, I blame RECORD STORE DAY. They create a demand for product that there isn't enough of, and in turn instead of promoting independent record stores, it puts them in a bad light.

I'm still "sour" (not really mad) about the fact that I couldn't get items I wanted last year because of the mass of people in line wanting the same item, when the store was only limited to 2 or 3 copies of that high-demand item.

21. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

The limited release part of this does seem like a bit of a scam - or at least promoting that - especially when a lot of these items turn up on e-Bay at inflated prices. I don't blame the record store owners in all cases. I think a lot of those people in line - pushing ahead of you and grabbing stuff - are not there because they are fans. They are grabbing stuff in the hopes of flipping it and making a quick $. IMO, this is not what record store day should be about.

22. gmoney80

gmoney80 Forum Resident

I love boris but man 5 releases this year is a bit much

23. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I think this goes without saying, but +1 anyway! \w/

24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yeah.. I know. In fact I was at the store today that I usually go to on RSD, and talked with the guy who works there.

He told me that this year they are going to crack down on the one item per person.

The funny thing was, and I guess it was because I wasn't interested in these items, but they still had quite a few of the less desirable RSD items in stock from last year. With that in mind the store is reticent to try and order too many of an item they can't sell, and the flipside of that is that the items they know they can sell, they can never get enough.

They already, as was mentioned by another person in this thread, got over 30 calls just on the Phish RSD release, which they know they won't get enough of.

Even the store owner mentioned that RSD is a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it brings more people into the store, but a curse because he stated, as I did, that regular customers of his get really ticked off at the crazy aspect of the day and the fact that they can't get items they want, when they are the customers that really want the items. They are not the e-bay flippers. He says he can't even begin to tell me how many of his regular customers are pissed off about RSD.

I asked if they could hold items for me if I asked, and he stated that they can't (as that seems to be part of the agreement they make with the whole RSD thing to be able to participate). In addition, even though I shop there enough, I am not there every week and don't spend THAT much money there, since I can get most things on-line for 30% less (sans tax even) than I could if I bought there.

The first RSD was great, as not many people knew about it and I was able to waltz into the store at opening and get whatever I wanted that they had. Last year was a real cluster...... and this year will probably be just as bad.

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Last year's was covered by "CBS Evening News," albeit as filler on Saturday night when no one was watching anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.