Recommend more albums like Dr. John's Gris Gris

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff K, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

When my friend played Gris Gris for me, I immediately thought of Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band's Strictly Personal album.

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jessica Pratt ~ Here in the Pitch (2024)

Exuma is maybe a bit more celebratory, but still got da voodoo ... check out the leadoff song from his debut ... Exuma, the Obeah Man

Review by Richie Unterberger

Exuma's debut album was a real odd piece of work, even by the standards of the late '60s and early '70s, when major labels went further out on a limb to throw weird stuff at the public to see what would stick than they ever had before or have since. Roughly speaking, it's kind of like a combination of the Bahamian folk of Joseph Spence with early Dr. John at his most voodooed-out, though even that nutshell doesn't really do justice to how unusual this record is. Often it seems more like eavesdropping on a tribal ritual than listening to songs. Some of the tracks, indeed, have little or less to do with conventional "songs" than with tunes and lyrics; they're more akin to Mardi Gras street percussion jams airlifted to the Caribbean islands. Exuma and his accompanists make quite a spooky clamor with their various bells, foot drums, chanting, gasps, sighs, shouts, and other percussive instruments, creating a mood both celebratory and scary. He's not …

drasil likes this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

There was also a New Orleans artist named Coco Robicheaux whose music was right in that voodoo groove; he even took his stage name from a Dr John song. A well known and liked character in NO (he was in the memorable chicken scene in "Treme") and a Jazzfest regular. Sadly he passed away earlier this year.

4. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

The closest and there really is nothing that close, but the closest in my mind is the track from the first Funkadelic lp Music For My Mother. Its greasy and southern as hell, but you can feel the spit coagulate on your tounge fron the heavy LSD influence as well. Its the only thing that has the same deep fried southern psychedelic spook to it.

Gumboo and rockinlazys like this.
  5. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Gumbo and Right Place are terrific. I have the Mofi two-fer cd of these. Really
    great together!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. Chris Schoen

I love the song "Goin' Upstairs".

7. Chris Schoen

Great Dr. John bio, full of wild storys, "Under A Hoodoo Moon". What a life!

8. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Early Tony Joe White anyone?
    Same like Dr. - he can barely sing but used to make superb swamp music (but sounds more like Mark Knopfler recently)

9. 3ringcircus

3ringcircus Forum Resident

Screaming Jay Hawkins?

10. maclen

maclen Senior Member

Yes I forgot about Coco. Spiritland is a great record!

11. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Any comments on 2009 Gris Gris vinyl?

Yea or Nea?

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The only Gris Gris I have is the Collector's Choice edition which doesn't sound all that hot. I should worry more about upgrading that record rather than trying to find imitators.

13. I sure would like to read some other opinions on Dr.John as I'm unfamiliar with his albums but using this sites search engine brings up every other John (mostly Elton John) but Dr.John! Any ideas on how to search here for Dr.John? Thanks.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Try using his real name - Mac Renneback.

15. maclen

maclen Senior Member

16. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

++ on Remedies-Mucho swamp trip

17. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

gris gris is killer but the next 3 are sort of similar. sun moon herbs remedies and babylon i think are the next three. there is a compilaiton called the bes tof dr john the night tripper that has a bunch of his early stuff from like his first 4 albums and was recently remasterd or reissued by a european label.

18. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I would suggest 7 Walkers. Even though it IS Bill Kreutzmann and it IS Robert Hunter, it is also Papa Mali and he is swamp all over. And he's the singer. Tunes like King Cotton Blues, Chingo, and Louisiana Rain just reek atmosphere, especially Chingo. Great album; whether it's quite what you're looking for is up to you.

19. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

What is the best sounding copy of Gris Gris on Vinyl?

20. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

I need advice....I am about to buy a copy og Gris Gris, Babylon, etc.....how are the recent reissues? I see a lot of colored pressings etc......or better to stick to orginal ATCO?

I am always a sucker for colored vinyl for sure as long as it sounds good though.

21. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Recommended

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Is Remedies oop on cd ?

23. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

24. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

'tis the season

25. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

How about Larmon Clamor - Frogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.