Recent Remasters of Fleetwood Mac s/t and Rumours

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChristianL, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Just checked a couple of tracks in an audio editor. Happily, it's not bad as the best-of collection at all!

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

:righton: love it :righton:

3. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

This is incredible! No negative reviews??? Frickin' amazing. That's it, I'm getting the entire "set" this weekend. :goodie:

I hope you guys are happy... :winkgrin:

4. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Tusk and Rumours are probably two of the best remasters by a major label, Lindsey's songs on tusk have always been my favorites and now to hear some of them being developed. Great Job!

5. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Oh yeah, the sound quality is excellent much better that the previous editions

6. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Just listened to the new Rumors remaster. Silver Springs is just amazing - in fact the whole album is one of the best remastered CDs I've heard lately. Maybe a little hot in spots, but not objectionable to me. Tusk is quite processed of course, but this remaster tops the previous CD IMO. Thanks for the heads up guys!

7. Grant

Well, now, if I recall, ONE person didn't like them... :)

I hope the overwhelming approval from this board sends Warner Special Marketing a clear message that THIS is the right way to do a remaster! I commend Bill Inglot and Dand Hercsh for a job WELL DONE!

I hope that when they are able to release the Buckingham-Nicks album that it sound just asdetailed and full as the FM remasters do. I'll bet it's already in the can, too, along with "Mirage" and "Tango In The Night", just waiting to get a matric number and the legal go-ahead.

8. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I got the Rumours this weekend for the outtakes, etc. i had planned on getting the DVD-Audio release of Rumours, but I guess I don't need to now. (right?)

9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

My wife was amazed by Rumours. It sounded to her like a greatest hits package.

-BZync

10. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

The Fleetwood Mac S/T newly remastered CD is even better sounding than the Rumors IMO - very natural and smooth, with a great drum sound and life-like vocals. Recommended!

11. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I always preferred the sound on S/T than on Rumours myself. That first album with buck/nicks has some serious kick :)

12. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

The sound of the individual songs on S/T were just more consistant as an album than the way Rumours turned out. Overall, I like Rumours better, but it's as if each song was recorded at a different studio with different engineer and each mixed by yet another engineer :).

At least that's how the original LP and CD issue sounds. I understand that the later issued "secret re-mastered" CD supposedly smoothed over the sonic differences between the songs a little bit.

13. Grant

But, I actually like that. I like it when songs all have a slightly different sonic character. It keeps up the interest level. That is also how I approach my CD-R comps.

The Inglot Rumours remaster sounds tweaked. I guess it would have to be, considering how the tapes may actually sound. But, that's OK. Sounds excellent!

14. markl

markl Senior Member

I have the Rumours DVD-A, and I just bought the Tusk expanded 2CD version remastered by Inglot & Hersch. I don't yet have the remastered version of Rumours, but I do have the 2002 Very Best Of compilation also remastered by Inglot & Hirsch, so I assume Rumours 2004 CD by them will sound essentially the same.

IMO, FWIW, there's no comparison. The DVD-A is superior in every way. Yes, I know that's not an apples-to-apples comparison, due to the different formats and different mastering engineers. OTOH, my DVD-A player is "only" a $1000 DVD player (Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700) , with very competent audio capabilities but by no means a high-end showpiece. My CD player is a very heavily modified Sony C555ES SACDP, which is the best piece of digital I've ever owned. Typically CDs played back on the Sony sound better than DVD-As played back on my Kendwood DVD-A player. But not in this case.

So it's debatable that in the end, I may actually have a more level playing field than it might seem to compare the two. Anyway, on my "test bench", the Rumours DVD-A is much better than the versions of the same songs presented on the Inglot & Hersch Very Best Of.

Anyway, to me, there's no substitute for the DVD-A of Rumours. Anyone know if Tusk or Fleetwood Mac will come out on DVD-A?

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Until you try and play it in your car, maybe! :laugh:

16. markl

markl Senior Member

Actually, there's a growing number of DVD-Audio car decks, and many auto-makers are shipping their vehicles with DVD-A surround systems.

But no, I can't play it in my current car stereo. :D

17. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Holy Cr@p Batman! This remaster IS very good indeed! I bought all three at BB, and I have been enjoying them ever since. A bit crisp in some places, but overall VERY well balanced to my ears. Thanks for all of the recommendations! :righton:

18. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Just listened to the new "Rumours" re-master.

I loved "The Dance" for the sound quality.

I love the original "Rumours" for the music and perfomance.

With the new re-masters we can now have both. It's much better than I would have imagined it could be.

19. stever

stever Senior Member

Can anyone date this, "Fleetwood Mac," CD? It's manufactured and distributed by Warner Music Australia, Reprise 2281-2, OMCD 1196. The inner rim reads D.A.T.A. (Digital Audio Technologies Australia) IFPIL 311 22812 G E3. Barcode is 7599-27241-2. The booklet says, "CDD Pre-Mastering by WCI Record Group."

20. stever

stever Senior Member

Bump. Is anyone familiar with this CD pressing?

21. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

Are there any plans to remaster any older stuff? I'd love to hear a new Penguin, Mystery To Me, Bare Trees or Future Games.

22. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

That's because the current versions of these releases are controlled by Warner Music Group, which (in the US) is strictly in the DVD-A camp. WEA International (outside the US) supports SACD in addition to DVD-A.

23. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

We get a lot of Austrlian CD pressings here in New Zealand (much to the disgust of many audiophiles, who find they usually sound distinctly inferior to the equivilent USA or European pressings).

I first started noticing CD pressings from DATA around five years back, so the CD probablly isn't any more than five or six years old, perhaps a lot newer than that.

24. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

We get a lot of Austrlian CD pressings here in New Zealand (much to the disgust of many audiophiles, who find they usually sound distinctly inferior to the equivilent USA or European pressings).

I first started noticing CD pressings from DATA around five years back, so the CD probablly isn't any more than five or six years old, perhaps a lot newer than that.

Does Gold Dust Woman fade in or start cold? Early CDs (ncluding my West German pressing from the 1980s) fades in. I understand later masterings start the song cold.

25. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member Thread Starter

Gold Dust Woman fades in :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.