Recent Remasters of Fleetwood Mac s/t and Rumours

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ChristianL, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'm listening to "Fleetwood Mac" as I type this. Overall a very good job here as I'm definately hearing more detail than before (hear the car horn honking on Sugar Daddy right after Christine McVie sings "he could pick me up in a big fancy car.") The bounus tracks are essential as these single mixes differ considerably with their LP counterparts. As Mick Fleetwood mentioned in his autobiography "Fleetwood" these were done with AM radio in mind for a "hotter" sound. To my knowledge this was not to be repeated with singles from future albums, except for some early fades and an edit or two (Sara comes to mind.)

It mentions in the liner notes that the single version of Blue Letter was unreleased. However WB/Reprise in the U.K. issued Blue Letter as the B-side to Warm Ways in October 1975. Just curious if this single mixed was possibly used on that 45.

Right now I'm feasting my ears on the other bonus track an instrumental called Jam #2, somewhat reminisant of their early blues period with Peter Green and Jeremy Spencer. Great stuff!

2. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Just finished listening to "Rumours" in the car. I can't believe the DETAIL on this album...too bad it wasn't a hyrbid SACD, though it sure sounded something like hi-res. Testing on Dolby Prologic II equipment, anyone?

Stand out tracks for me were "Songbird," "Silver Springs," "The Chain" and Gold Dust Woman." The track listing really flows well. I could have sworn I heard someone breathe before "The Chain" kicked in.

Speaking of "Silver Springs," I wonder why the lyrics weren't printed in the booklet. Odd omission. Other than that, an all-around great package.

3. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I stopped at Tower records on my way home from work to pick up two of the new Fleetwood Mac reissues. Tower does not have Rumours on sale, so I had to pass. They were selling it for $22.99! I'll be buying these online.

I did think it was strange that Silver Springs was put in the middle of the album, instead of a bonus track.

4. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That's always been there. Supposedly there's a "f***" in that.

5. I for one think the german '88 cd is excellent. It has BLOOM. I could have sworn that SH said he liked it too. I might be wrong on that last bit, but if your cd player makes the german cd sound bad, throw trhat player away.

6. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Yup. It's pretty clear on the dvd-a issue (stereo mix)

7. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Well, that was where it was originally intended to be in the LP running order before it was excised for space reasons. I suppose the new disc could be said to restore the album to how the band originally planned it.

8. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Best Buy had the 2 disc Tusk for 13.99, Rumours for 19.99 and FM for 11.99...

BTW, Tusk is probably my favorite...and I really think Rumours is terrific, but I have always thought the FM was superior to Rumours. Anyone care to argue??? They are both outstanding LP's, however...but I really prefer FM of the two....

9. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member Thread Starter

I did think it was strange that Silver Springs was put in the middle of the album, instead of a bonus track.[/QUOTE]

My opinion too, but on the other hand it would also be strange to hear a song after the long fade out of Gold Dust Woman, which is a perfect ending of the album.

10. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Any reason these titles are not yet listed on Amazon.com? They usually have these kind of things up weeks before the actual release date!?

11. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

Also, how do these versions stack up against the 4CD Chain boxset tracks?

12. John Carsell

Argue??

No way. I'm with 'ya on this one.

Love both of them though I think FM has the edge.

13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I agree with you too! FM has such an organic, almost folky feel. By comparison RUMOURS sounds slick but it's still a great record, of course. The 45 mixes on FM are amazing...I was out of the country when they were released and it's such a pleasure to hear them after all this time.

TUSK is a work of such monumental chutzpah and genius that it is in a category by itself. I want to be buried with the new TUSK CD...if there's no heaven I can make my own! :agree:

14. stever

stever Senior Member

I have always loved Fleetwood Mac s/t -- it's also my favorite of these three. When I say that to friends of mine, they just don't understand...

15. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

FM self-titled is special for me because it was around for a long time (and I had it) before it began to sell in large numbers. I also prefer the songwriting to that on Rumours.

Also, the LP had great fidelity.

16. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

How are the bouns tracks on Rumours? Are the alternate mixes and takes very different?

17. John Carsell

Sonically superior are these new versions.

It's a shame The Chain box set had inferior sound.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was finally able to grab a copy of Rumours at CC for $19.99. I like the packaging and the great photos in the booklet. A great album finally gets the right redbook treatment.

Though I will still defer to my DVDA of Rumours when listening at home.

I have the other 2 on the way from BestBuy.com.

19. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

They could have sequenced it like the DVD-A, which I did like. Move Songbird after Gold Dust Woman and insert Silver Springs after Go Your Own Way

Because the lyrics to the songs were reproduced faithfully from the LP artwork. I had it on vinyl. Silver Springs was never included on the LP and so its lyrics weren't either.

Brian

jymy likes this.
  20. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm impressed that everyone prefers the new TUSK remaster, because of the original CD versions, TUSK was already a very good sounding disc.

Of course, TUSK was also one of the best sounding LPs I remember owning, possibly the best, so there's obviously a lot to be had from those tapes.

21. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Best prices so far - CD Universe:

Fleetwood Mac - $9.79
    Rumours - $17.49

They seem to have the best price on nearly every CD...

22. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I agree Ron. Both of the original cd pressings for Tusk and the S/T album were/are excellent. In fact, the only bad thing about the original Tusk cd was the edited version of Sara.

However, the sound on the new discs is also excellent and the bonus tracks are must haves (at least for me). Personally, I have been burned out on Rumours for about fifteen years, but listening to the alternate takes on disc two makes the album fresh again and a revelation for me. This is how all reissues programs should be handled (i.e. good mastering, expanded liner notes, an extra disc of bonus tracks and packaged in jewel cases). Hats off to Warners Strategic Marketing!

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm trying, trying, trying to hold off until these show up at BMG. I've already violated my don't-buy-it-when-I-know-the-record-club-will-get-it New Year's resolution twice, and it's only March.

These are particularly difficult, as they're well-reviewed, deluxe editions of favorite albums. But I already own THE VERY BEST OF, meaning I already have most of the RUMOURS set, a good chunk of FLEETWOOD MAC, and the original, very good CD of TUSK.

24. rpd

rpd Senior Member

you need to make an exception.....

25. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

Bought Tusk at Best Buy for $13.99

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.