RCA-Victor LIVING STEREO LP thoughts. And: Just What is "Miracle Surface 317X "???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tristan, Jul 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Nice socre, Tristan! :goodie:

2. Great find Tristan. Check in the dead wax and see if it's an Indiana pressing(small letter "I"). Indiana pressings are usually higher quality then Hollywood(California) or Rockaway(New Jersey).

3. Tristan

Tristan Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Mike for the stamper info!
    Here they are; I'm somewhat confused about their origin, however.
    Could you kindly help?
    "The stamper #'s are: Side 1-K2 RY1055-2S & Side 2-K2 1056-2S.. Thank you for your interest...."
    Thanks and caio,
    Tristan

4. Look real careful, you should find a single letter of either "I", "H" or "R" that represents where it was pressed.

*p.s. Judging from the matrix you shown, it looks like this is an Indy pressing.

5. Joe Nino-Hernes

Joe Nino-Hernes Active Member

I have a whole pile of mint condition RCA Living Stereo records, and I love them. They all sound very good. I also have many Mercury Living Presence stereo records, that were recorded on 35mm magnetic film, and they really sound good.

McLover likes this.
  6. Tristan

Thanks again, Mike. However I don't presently have this Lp to inspect yet.
    I relied on the seller to provide my with the stamper #'s.

BTW, what are the letters for Hollywood or New Jersey? Nothing good can come out of New Jersey, anyways! Just kidding, my New York origins are beginning to show...

7. Tristan

Originally posted by NinoHernes:
    I have a whole pile of mint condition RCA Living Stereo records, and I love them. They all sound very good. I also have many Mercury Living Presence stereo records, that were recorded on 35mm magnetic film, and they really sound good.

Dear Joe,
    Mint condition? WOWEE! I always wondered how much surface noise a mint Shady Dog had... Perhaps the answer is variable, but just curious...

8. jeffmissinne

jeffmissinne Forum Resident

I think both 317-X and WD-40 used to hang out with Maxwell Smart and 99...

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

What a great post!

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Just my opinion. 317X was an anti-static gradient and it has been vapored after all these years.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have one (and only one) totally dealer new old stock RCA-Victor Living Stereo LP from 1959, all the rest are mint but not new. The NOS has NO surface noise. I mean, this thing is clean sounding as can be. I paid a hundred bucks for this album from Tom Port (a lot, but it's my favorite RCA LS title). I have to assume that, pressing defects aside, most or all of the original Shaded Dogs had dead quiet surfaces. RCA took pride in its records.

12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I have some copies like that. Dead quiet as the best from the Japanese vinyl from the golden age.
    They were all pressed at the Indiana plant by c.1960.

13. Steve Hoffman

Quality records from the Golden Age. Worth collecting and playing.

fluffskul and yasujiro like this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, by the way. A year too late, but thanks.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I listened to your Contemporary set a few days ago and was so impressed by the ‘gloss’ that defines the sound of the Golden Age.
    I was blown away by the SACD of Way Out West and others again. Would like to thank you.

16. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

There’s magic in those SACDs.

17. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome. Pay special attention to CARMEN. I am very sure that this was the first and only time the actual edited stereo master tape was used in the making of anything..

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Oh, it was not used for the first vinyl pressing?

19. Steve Hoffman

No. This was never used. Sounded so amazing, still had the masking tape on it from the 1950s. None of the edits worked, nothing mended. A "more stable" dub was used for cutting with some treble lift, etc. that the original tape didn't have. I'm 100% sure I used it for the first time for the JPN release.

yasujiro likes this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'd like to know why the Dynagroove variety of RCA Living Stereo gets such a bad rap? I own a few and the surfaces seem pretty miraculous as well as they should. Sound is very fine too. I think I read somewhere that this Dynagroove era sounds a bit "wooden" in comparison.

21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I actually enjoy "wooden" sound. I'm listening to Jim Croce right now on DCC... his acoustic guitar sounds very wooden.

Dynagroove LPs had some (what most would consider) poor limiting EQ choices to sound "good" on ****ty consoles. My guess if your dynagroove LSC sounds good because it is pristine because no one played it more than once!

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Recorded with too much microphones.
    Lesser mastering with their new device, sound re-corrector.
    Thinner vinyl.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My Dynagroove examples are not thinner vinyl, that's for sure, not Dynaflex either.

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Dynagroove was done originally to improve the sound of RCA's recordings on budget phonographs. It did not improve the sound on budget phonographs, and people with good audio equipment got even worse sound quality. This was done in the 1962 time frame, and quietly done away with due to the furor from music lovers and audiophiles (the two biggest record buyers as a group). The Dynagroove is a pre-distortion added in disc mastering, and best played on conical styli. When Dynagroove was in use, the dynamic range suffered on records, and RCA began suffering from boxy, closed in sonics on records. Not one of RCA Victor's better ideas.

irwin69 and fluffskul like this.
  25. kauwi

kauwi Well-Known Member

Hi Steve,
    could you tell me more about the CARMEN Realease?
    Label, SACD / LP / Year?
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.