RCA Living Stereo Classical SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RonInCRIA, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kg4big

kg4big Forum Resident

I really enjoy the older RedBook Living Stereo's.

I also own a few of the SACD's.

I'm not sure which I prefer :)

I am just glad to be able to have this wonderfully recorded music in either format

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

i dont know really. i just assumed that there must be from your statement. probably an area i need to be schooled in. opera i understand. that was my major vocal emphasis stage/ opera. Classical i really am a bit weak on was too busy with vocal engagements.

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

Is this series done or what? I was really hopeing they would put out the British recordings from Kingsway Hall like Witches Brew, etc.

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

My sense is that the selection is a pretty good reflection of the classical music RCA was relasing during the 50's and early 60's. Did RCA have a significant string quartet under contract at that time? How much Bach were they releasing? Landowska, I guess. For that matter, how much Mozart were they releasing?

We are talking about the earliest days of the HiFi LP, and I think many of the large record companies wanted to get versions of the concert-going crowd 50's favorites (Tchaikovsky, Rachmoninoff, Dvorak) out in that format. The Baroque revival was in very early days. And I suspect there was relatively little Mozart heard in the concert halls (compared to today)

5. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

For those still collecting some of the Living Stereo SACDs, I have been adding a few here and there for about six months and I have gotten most of them through deepdiscount.com for $8.98 each with free shipping. Most of the time they are not in stock and end up shipping when new stock arrives within a few weeks. They have some of the prime movers in stock though. I really do love the sound and presentation of these discs and intend to add a few more before I'm done.

6. I think so too, it would have been nice so to have one of the Opera sets on SACD as well.

7. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Almost but not quite.

8. kg4big

kg4big Forum Resident

I wonder if the old Red Book Living Stereo's are flat transfers ?

9. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I suspect much of your questioning is of the rhetorical variety, but in case it's not, I don't know much about classical music from the LP era. I didn't buy my first non-movie soundtrack classical disc until CD had become the norm (it was Schubert's last piano sonata and Wanderer Fantasie by Brendel).

10. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

In general, I find them very good. I own about 20-25. I also have a lot of the original vinyl pressings of the shaded dogs and these SACDs stand beside them nicely.

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

And Deep Discount is having a 40% off list price sale right now. Here are some Rubinsteins for $6.99:

http://search.deepdiscount.com/sear...25&method=and&af=cat1:cds&isort=score&srt=84;

And some conducted by Munch: http://search.deepdiscount.com/sear...25&method=and&af=cat1:cds&isort=score&srt=24;

12. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

Thanks Jay F, I just put in an order for 6 Living Stereo SACDs for about $40.00 shipped from deepdiscount.com. Can't beat that with a stick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.