RCA Living Stereo Classical SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RonInCRIA, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Yes.

2. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

i almost have all of them then.. cool

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I mentioned in another thread I have all but one - I just cannot imagine myself wanting to hear Mario Lanza doing Neopolitan songs or Rudolf Friml..

4. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

You know you can click on the individual SACD links to get all the UPC codes and a lot of other information..

That site has been invaluable to me over the years. Kudos to Stephen the person who created it and lovingly updates it... :righton:

6. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I just have a couple of these titles and have always been meaning to get more. Thanks for the reminder and I think some of these will be going on my Christmas list!

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

It's the best site that exists for a certain type of format. It's very up-to-date and accurate. You can get additional info about the discs by following the shopping or label links.

I wish there were similar sites for vinyl.

8. I was never sure how many I'm missing, I have 52 - so if this is correct I'm just missing two.

The search begins. :sigh:

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

So there are as many as 52 titles?

10. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

For those who are more schooled in classical, would you say this collection covers all the biggies?

11. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

I have 47. with my luck ill wait, and that will be the 7 that are most difficult to find :laugh::sigh:

12. Yup, I got many of them as special priced packages from elusive disc but recall that one of the sets was missing a title that went temporarily out of print. My guess is I'm missing this one and one other title - will check the above link tomorrow to see what I'm missing.

13. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No. It's extremely random.

14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I think it represents a pretty eclectic selections of music from the classical/romantic period. I bought these SACD's for their excellent remastering and SQ since I already have a collection that covers the Renaissance to early 20th century - some 800 years of western music. These selections alone would have been too narrowly focused for my taste.

15. The SACD mastering was done to match either the tapes or some effort to
    brighten the recordings, that it what he meant by "forward sounding".
    The SACDs match the dynamics of the old vinyl but rarely the tone.
    The early 90's cd reissues w/ restored artwork actually matched the tone
    of the old lps better.

Just because a tape (pre-mastering) sounds bright does not mean you have to
    cut it to SACD than way. I was disappointed and gave up after about 8 discs.

So, in other words, RCAs ARE worth collecting . . . just not on SACD.

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I own three and love the sound. It really shows that if the recording engineer really cares, he can still capture much on a great R2R machine. It is sad that SACD is mostly relegated to classical releases, but since I love classical music it is a good thing, but why anyone would rather have the conveniece of mp3s over an SACD is beyond me. Maybe if Sony had marketed an SACD Discman things might have been different. Portable SACD would have been nice.

17. I play MP3s and SACDs, there's no reason to choose one over the other. Both are useful for different purposes.

18. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Definitely a strong opinion. I'll assume you own 0 Living Stereo XRCD's -- those are bright.

19. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yup. BTW, I had a chance to listen to some of the original tapes at SoundMirror and, on balance, they do not sound much different from the released SACDs. I can understand someone preferring the balance on the LPs but I think the SACDs are a better representation of the tapes. (I prefer them, too.)

20. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Thats what i gathered. i wonder why they didnt choose a few more accessible titles?

21. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Do you mean Pops-style music?

I can't see a non-accessible title among these 54.

22. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

maybe i need to visit the classical recordings threads....

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I read somewhere that these are true flat transfers. No any additional compression, no any EQ'ing.

24. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

No I wouldn't say that, there's too much music in what we call "classical" now to be able to cover 'em in any series. You wouldn't run out of music, that's for sure! It can be argued though that this series could be a good "starting point" in some ways... but these SACDs are just a part of the original Living Stereo classical catalog, so something of a starting point for a starting point? ;)

They sound bright to you? The Mercury Living Presence, I'd agree those certainly could be called bright, they always were by nature. But while the RCAs do vary they don't seem especially bright to me.

Anyway, I have a complete set of the Living Stereo series CDs (sans Opera titles) and in every applicable instance felt the SACDs to be superior. The LPs are distinct. The original LPs were the product of a system that included the old lathes. It'd be difficult to duplicate them and no reissues have or are likely to, for better or worse.

Some of them - Lt. Kije for instance - are closer to simulating the general tone and timbre of what one might hear at some (natural, unamplified) concerts as most recordings I've heard. The Chicago recordings do have a distinct soundstage etc reflecting its stage/layout and there is some effective compression involved (not in mastering) but whatever the process the results are often amazing.

Certainly. :)

That's the sense I get too.

25. Jay F

Jay F New Member

What do you consider accessible?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.