RCA Living Stereo Classical SACDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RonInCRIA, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I also love the Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exibition. Probably my favorite classical SACD.

2. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

RCA had some powerful conductors, and engineers like Lewis Layton who seemed to really enjoy classical music.

It wasn't always a forward sound. A lot of the Boston Munch recordings were somewhat distant, but the combination of definitive performances and state of the art recording made some true classic recordings.

I know in Chicago, Orchestra Hall's acoustics are no longer what they were for the RCA team.

Some of the best were made in the Eisenhower years by the way. I'm a fan of some of the earliest most-minimally miked RCA shaded dogs.

3. pbarach

pbarach New Member

A remix in the player isn't necessary with these RCA reissues. All of them have a 2-channel SACD mix as well as a 2-channel redbook CD layer. When the original recording was 3-channel, these discs also have a 3-channel SACD layer. Sometimes there are some major differences in imaging between the 3-channel and 2-channel mixes, as in the Reiner Don Quixote.

4. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

love the recording :thumbsup:

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Love 'em. Most qualify for "definitive" consideration often against numerous extremely fine competitors and even those that don't usually offer a worthwhile individual or stylistic approach that makes them well worth experiencing.

John Newton (a nice guy) and the folks at Sound Mirror who mastered these are very appreciative of the works. They did a first class job. They would love to do more, but unfortunately the current owners of the catalog (Sony BMG) have not commissioned any for some years now. However the then-President of BMG recently offered a great letter of praise to 'em:
    http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=145188717575

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Given the price, I bought ALL of them, and just got the last couple in the mail last month. Alas, with all the SACDs I've bought in 2009, it may be 2011 before I get around to playing any of them...

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Series #7 was the last, correct?

I have almost all of them, except for some of the vocal titles.

8. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Summer 2007 was the last batch (series 7, I think).

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Over 2 years ago? Man that is a real drag.

I think you're right, I just check released dates via Amazon for some of the last batch.

10. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Sony Masterworks ceased all domestic reissues at that time. The Great Performances series was another casualty. Pity, too, as most of those 2005/2006 GP remasters were handled by the estimable Andreas K. Meyer and are some of the best redbook discs in my collection. To hear what he did and then compare to orig. 50's/60's vinyl is stunning. Those are relatively unheralded discs, but every bit the equal of Living Stereo on redbook.

Attached Files:

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I did not know that, I'll be on the look out for those GP discs.

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

I think you should. And I'll be interested to know what you think. Meyer completely remixed on an analog console (and remastered) the Bernstein/NYPO Mahler recordings on SACD for Japan, reissued earlier this year by Carnegie Hall via Sony/BMG on redbook. A groundbreaking set for the Mahler collector. Meyer did a fantastic job, I have the JSACD's of course!

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thanks, I just put that on my Amazon wishlist. I imagine the JSACD versions are pricey?

14. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I have the entire set of Living Stereo SACDs and the collection is one of my prizes. The performances have weight historically and artistically and many are definitive versions. The sound quality - even on the redbook layer is excellent.

If you are sitting on the fence, buy these now! If you are new to classical music and want a good overview at a reasonable price, buy these now!

I still can't believe that 2 years on you can still find all of these available at normal retail prices.

15. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Mahler SACD

$30 for single disc before shipping. And in Japan they fetishize sleeve art so you get original covers. Nice. All reissues over there seem to have whatever sleeve art was on original issue.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Agreed. A few years back, you could often find them on Tower.com with discounts for ~$8 shipped each. They're not too much more now, but eventually they'll get tougher to find. The opera series (#6?) does seem a little harder to track down. I'm not really an opera fan myself, so I may not bother with these.

Ouchy! I think my budget is more in line with the box on Amazon :agree:

17. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I was under the impression that the Mercury Living Presence SACDs were similar to these in sound quality and archival recordings, but they cost a LOT more than the Living Stereo SACDs. Anyone know why the disparity in prices?

18. Claude

Claude Senior Member

That was the case in the US. In Europe, the Living Presence SACDs were a bit more expensive than the Living Stereo ones, but still mid price.

I also think that the Living Stereo SACDs were particularly inexpensive. Even Naxos SACDs cost more.

19. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I don't know about Naxos, but Living Stereo are $11.98, or $100 for 10: http://store.acousticsounds.com/ind...goryID=4&SearchField=Label&ResultsPerPage=100

20. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Yes, but I'm talking about the street price, which was often below $10 for the Living Stereos.

21. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Turandot with Leinsdorf conducting
    the most amazing sound quality and the most amazing performance

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Lucky you. There is no "street" where I can buy these, so Acoustic Sounds' is the effective street price.

23. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

24. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Click Keith's link above and switch to vendor Amazon.com . Most titles are $10.

25. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

So that list is complete? 54 titles..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.