Ray Davies: Other People's Lives

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterC, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I finally tracked down a copy today, and I'm really pleased with it. A couple of songs fall in to the "Gee, I didn't know he could write songs like that anymore..." "Next Door Neighbour" left me with this silly grin on my face with its old time Kinks sound.

Favorite track so far is "The Getaway."

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I really like this record, but hate the fact that the hi-hat sounds like it's right next to my ear (with the treble turned up!). Here's hoping the vinyl sounds better.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

What a great album! Clearly the best of 2006, so far.
    Ray pretty much lost me with the rock operas like Preservation (I-IX) and Soap Opera, and Phobia is like a bad headache, but this is first class stuff. Intelligent commentary and great tunes. Glad I stuck around.

4. DavidinAustin

DavidinAustin New Member

Much more interesting than Mick Jagger's first solo record, FWIW.

Obvious that Ray Davies really took time in composition and arranging these songs, a really unexpected treat. Unfortunately, there's no audience for this sort of music today, but that makes it all the more remarkable.

5. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I got this album yesterday. Some very nice songs, good melodies. Too bad it's got such a listless mix.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Who produced it? The snare on some songs I heard screams Brendan O Brian!

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

"all tracks written, arranged and produced by Ray Davies"

there are individual credits for mixing and engineering for each track though.

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I guess we've all got to accept that this is the way Ray wanted his album to sound. Then again, Ray also approved the Kinks Pye remasters, too... :D

9. smc2541

smc2541 Forum Resident

Did the vinyl come out? If yes, any opinions?

Thanks!

Steve

10. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I heard Ray interviewed on WXRT in Chicago and he is really pissed that his name has been mispronounced for 40 years. He says his last name is pronounced Davis. Now when they play a new cut from the CD they say Ray Davis and it just sounds weird to me.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I've known for quite a while that it's "Davis", but I still find it hard to say it that way!

12. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I didn't know it was pronounced that way until I heard "The Storyteller" CD. . . I like that one quite a bit.

13. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i finally got around to picking up this album today. it's a lot better than i expected; not that i thought it would be bad--just, you know, comme ci, comme ca. alas, after two listens, it's really good! i'm surprised i haven't read more about this album on the forum. the melodies are classic davies and the production, while easily identifiable as pro-tools, is not harsh. ray sounds like a much younger singer-songwriter on this disc. it has a very current edge to it, and not in a bad way. especially, i enjoy his wit and lyricism. there's not another like him. overall, 4/5.
    anyway, does anyone know if a vinyl release is scheduled in the US or EU?

14. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I've been meaning to post the question: Is the vinyl mastering better than the CD?

15. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Music Direct lists it as having a release date of 4/25 (it's been delayed since March).
    $14.99. I'm hopeful that this great album will sound even richer in vinyl.

16. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He was on PBS's "Fresh Air", it was good.

17. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Still no comments on the LP?

18. Bill

Bill Senior Member

19. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I have the LP. I haven't listened to it super closely on my good system but I doubt it's much different from the cd. I haven't heard the cd but someone made a Brenden O'brien reference earlier in the thread and my impression with Ray's record is the same impression I had with the Devils & Dust LP (empty mid range and crunchy highs). What can you expect for $15? It sounds like a modern recording put on vinyl in order to sell a few more copies to a fringe market. It worked.

20. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

the cd blows away the lp. very sad, but exactly what you said, done without care for the money, or to be able to say it was done, whatever.

i frisbeed it after 5 minutes of torture! the cd sounds far far better.

21. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Wow, I was afraid of that. :(

A record store friend says that's typical of V2. He warned me not to get the vinyl recently, even though he never heard it.

22. jiminiss

jiminiss Senior Member

yea Keith, it really blows. but on a brighter note, took my 19 yr old daughter, a huge ray fan herself, to hear him in nyc 6-8 weeks ago or so and it was amazing. sammi's seen bowie, elvis costello, the who, wilco, arctic monkeys, patti smith, television, etc etc etc. we walked outta the show after it ended and she said "that was THE best show I've ever seen, by a long shot". have to say it was way up there on my list too. the newer material really shone...

23. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

It's my favorite album on '06 so far... I absolutely love it.

JEFF!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.