Questions on the Beatles tube vs. solid state Parlophone LP cuts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny33, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Depends, as they were stuffing them with the LP cuts they had to hand. Some, like the "White Album" copy that was in my box, are a mix of solid-state and tube cuts. But yes, I'm pretty sure many of them were the solid-state cuts done by HTM during that period.

e.s. and Dinstun like this.
  2. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Ok, I just put down $150 for a NM Original 1st UK STEREO pressing of HELP. I thought it was time to see what all the fuss is about and compare it to my MFSL of Help. The only other first UK pressing I have is the mono Pepper, which is indeed very nice.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You'll like your MFSL HELP! much better, trust me. The only really wonderful tube cut Parlophone LP is the stereo BEATLES FOR SALE.

DK Pete and Tommyboy like this.
  4. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Great. Just great. Oh well, I can always sell it down the road. Now that's the first time someone has actually praised the MFSL pressings. Usually, they have been bashed for their bad Eq.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

HELP! needs all the EQ it can get. In this one case, it works.

At any rate, having a classic Parlophone HELP! LP from back in the day is a treasure for any collection. It's one of my favorite Beatles albums and I treasure mine. I have a Parlophone mono and stereo.

Just don't judge it for the ultimate sound quality.

6. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I'd say the tube cut works for Revolver too, but otherwise you're right. I went and bought many of the late 60's and early 70's LP's that reuse the tube cut plates and didn't find myself awestruck or anything. From now on I'm buying the solid state re-cuts.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’ve stopped listening to my tube cut pressings for the most part. The later pressings sound better on my system

Dan The Man1 and Ben Sinise like this.
  8. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

That isn't too surprising. The 70's and 80's solid state pressings are awesome, I'd say. Have yet to hear a bad one among mine. That said, I just acquired all of my all-tube stuff in the past couple of years, so I'm still enjoying them a lot. I got lucky with ones that were well taken care of all these years. I can't even say that I have "go-to" copies. at this point. I just play whichever pressings I feel like hearing. I can't agree with any sentiment that says that the tube stereo Beatles For Sale, is the only fantastic all-tube cutting. Since they're closest to the master tape, they have a certain "glow" (for lack of a better term) to them, that I don't hear on other copies. Not all of the all-tube cuttings are great, that has been well-mentioned around here. I like most of them.

I'll say this ... I'll go to any of my tube cuts, 2014 mono re-issues, and my New Zealand blue box, if I want to hear my favorites in my library. '78 Capitol purples, '83/'86 rainbows, '87/'88 purples ... I guess I sorta love them all.

blutiga likes this.
  9. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Ok, received my solid NM first UK Stereo pressing of Help!, and have been comparing with my MFSL copy. The U.K. has a midrange to die for. I can play it loud and the voices are very realistic. There also a clarity, believe it or not, that's missing from the mofi. This is probably due to the mofi having warmth in the mid bass region, which can be pleasant, but affects other sonic areas. My U.K. vinyl is quiet, so no issue there. The mofi fleshed out the drums better, giving them a slightly more realistic weight. However, the mofi, like many of them, is tipped up a bit in the highs, and this, on my system, takes away some of the beautiful midrange in their voices.

I think if you play the original at a lower volume, it tends to sound "thinned out," but once you raise it up, that midrange power comes through. I now have the remastered 2014 mono, the mofi and this original, and I will be keeping them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.