Questions on the Beatles tube vs. solid state Parlophone LP cuts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny33, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I think it got linked in another thread.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I ended up buying the VPI 16.5 RCM. It certainly made a difference with surface noise but couldn't help with the albums that were gouged by those cheap 1960s record players. :eek:

Gavinyl likes this.
  3. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I think there was a re-issue (involving remastering) of some beatles records recently - there's a thread somewhere. I think that they are digitally sourced, some one obviously wants to get an anlog album instead.

Pinknik likes this.
  4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

For that, you need some different sized styli (getting hard to come by these days). It can make a good difference, just not very convenient.

5. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Oh i really can't think why???;)

Maybe the new box has driven some on to search for better :D

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That's a good idea Mike, unfortunately, I'm techncially challenged.

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Reopened by request.

ssmith3046, monomusic and Gavinyl like this.
  8. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

There is magic in all those UK mono tube cuts....

ssmith3046 likes this.
  9. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

I'm just now getting into the tube vs. solid state thing. Which version of Beatles for Sale is the tube cut to have - mono or stereo? Both? I do own a first or second pressing Rubber Soul mono -1/-1 cutting and yes, it's amazing and in NM shape, which is even more amazing. I paid $85 for it at Chicago Beatlefest, over 20 years ago.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Stereo. Mono is a meh mix, IMO. The stereo pressing is tube heaven.

I hate to tell you, but the -1/-1 mono Rubber Soul isn’t noted for its fidelity. It’s more compressed than other tube cuts.

ClausH, Lemon Curry and Tommyboy like this.
  11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

My guess; could this be so good sounding because of the rushed recording? Little studio-time because of all other kinds of commitments, back to the practice of cover versions and some original new tunes....

12. monomusic

monomusic Forum Resident

Understood. I think my main point was, for being as old as it is, and considering the heavier weight of cartridges back then, it sounds really, really good. I thought $85 for one record, over 20 years ago, was a fortune to spend, but when I saw the shape it was in, I couldn't pass it up. That all said - it wouldn't shock me if it doesn't sound as good on a back to back listen, as the 2014 mono box set version.

13. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I’m currently in the middle of making my own “blue box”. I just ordered the box only from Discogs and I’m making a collection of every tube cut record using one and two box emi records. It seems to get a tube cut for Revolver, Pepper, and Help I need to go one box emi. Can’t wait to have this collection complete, it’ll be a perfect companion to the 2014 Mono records.

forthlin and Maidenpriest like this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I used to swear by the tube cut Parlophone pressings. Not so much anymore. For the most part I prefer the later solid state cuts, with a few exceptions. The -1/-1 stereo cut of BFS comes to mind.

marcb, Octavian and Ben Sinise like this.
  15. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

To me it’s more of the fact that they were the “true original stereo sound” and that’s why I really enjoy them.

16. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

I'm with you :thumbsup:

The "true original stereo sound" is on the master tapes, not necessarily in those old grooves.
    The later more accurate vinyl transfers using superior mastering equipment lets more of what is on those tapes shine through.

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I was thinking the same as you, the original stereo sound is in the master tapes. I wish Apple would consent to having the stereo albums recut in all AAA, with no gimmickry (half speed mastering), but I doubt that will ever happen.

marcb and Octavian like this.
  18. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

For sure. I just meant that if you went into the record store in the 60’s and bought a Beatles stereo record that’s what it would sound like.

19. Ben Sinise

I just about fell off my chair when I first read that the 2014 mono set was to be an all analogue release, so you never know what's in the future.
    I'm all for more shocks like that!

googlymoogly, Tommyboy and BeatlesBop like this.
  20. Ben Sinise

It would sound like that if you were to play it on something like a vintage Dansette, that would be a recreation of the original sonics.
    Somehow I doubt you'd want go there just to experience that authentic 60's sound.

21. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Eh, I just like the tubey sound of the originals. For example a lot of people prefer the solid state cuts of AHDN, but when I recieved my tube cut I was awestruck.

22. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

One thing I have picked up on... after 4o years of collecting, I guess I have to find an original German copy of "Die Beatles" .. is it the Mono or Stereo that is the "hot tip" ?

23. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

I think it only came in stereo. And you want the early 70’s -2/-2 cut.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  24. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Succinct and highly informative thread

Solace likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

All I'll add to this thread is my copies of the Parlophone albums are a mesh of Dutch pressings and two box logos. Help and Rubber Soul have perimeter print beginning with "All rights reserved" and Oldies starts with "EMI Records Ltd."

Oh wait, I have Pepper on Parlophone as well; a late pressing since it has the CD and cassette catalog numbers on the back and a UPC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.