Questions on the Beatles tube vs. solid state Parlophone LP cuts

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny33, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

I've never seen a -6/-6 mono, even with the '82 re-pressings. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but it must be pretty rare if it's out there.

2. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

-4/-4 is common for a British mono cut and is what I have.

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I have never seen it either, but I know that some have at least one side that's -6. Randy W has one. He could fill in the details. :shh:

4. Another Side

Mine is -5/-5 and is a 82 reissue and came from a mono box that I split up. But I had a -5/-5 original at one point.

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Here's what I have for Mono Rubber Soul:

Y/B -1/-1
    Y/B -4/-4
    Y/B -5/-5
    '82 -6/-5
    Japanese '82 mono
    US mono

6. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

:thumbsup:

Interesting, I've never seen that -6 side 1 and I've done my fair share of searching eBay. It appears that they mustn't have been able to complete the production run without cutting a new side. You must notice the change in sonics when you flip that baby over.

7. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I like the UK '82 monos a lot, some of them if not all, were pressed with 60's stampers.

8. alanb

alanb Senior Member

:bigeek:

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The -6 side one for RS mono exists. I've never seen a side 2 higher than -5 though.

10. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

My 1982 Mono copy of Help has an original stamper for side 2 but a re-cut for side 1. You would never tell it was a re-cut, it sounds the same as side 2.

The UK '82's are very impressive in my opinion. Its a shame they are so rare.

11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

This sounds to me like groove wear. I've got a more than a few 60s mono Beatles/Stones/etc LPs (including a -1/-1 mono WTB :realmad: ) that look great but have audible groove wear.

But I think I have a -1/-1 that doesn't sound distorted (although it's been awhile since I've listened to this LP in mono so I'm not certain).

12. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

True, the appearance of the record can be very misleading sometimes. I've bought many used records that looked perfect (shiny, no marks, no white/grey grooves etc) but were, in reality, quite badly worn.

13. Another Side

True, but inner groove wear is a problem that's endemic to Beatles mono LP's from the 60's. Every single one that I have heard has some.

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Back in the 60s and 70s, not very many people would have had Beatles albums for collecting or audiophile purposes. They played them a lot because they loved them. That's a problem for us now. If I had been aware and had had the money at my disposal, I would have bought extra copies of the early 70s British pressings for safekeeping and for the future.

15. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

I know. The playback equipment must have been APPALLING.

16. peter

peter Senior Member

I had mint 1N. Sold it. It was NM condition. The bass was unbelievable and not distorted to my ears.

17. Vinophile

Vinophile Active Member

There is a pressing of With The Beatles with bass?:confused: :D

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

That is so true!! I keep getting buned trying to find a NM copy of the mono White Album. In most places, each copy that I own sounds decent, but there are a few instances where some tracks suffer. Defintely not worth the money. I wonder if a good cleaning would help?

19. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

To top it off - visual condition often is misleading. You see on ebay where the primo looking ones go for big money ad yet they often have some fuzzing going on. I've bought several copies each of VG Beatles monos and keep the nicest sounding (to me) copy. They all have a little 'sprinkling' of crackles or fuzz here and there, but the sound is well worth it.

Gavinyl likes this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do you think a good cleaning with a VPI machine would help with the surface noise?

21. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Made me check my copy of the Mono Rubber Soul in my Mono red box. It is XEX 579-6/XEX 580-5

I also have a Excellent Y/B mono copy -4/-1

22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

It might - depends on the source of the noise of course. Personally I hand clean all mine to be extra sure (rinse grooves under flowing water, then wiping of each track with iso alcohol wet tissue, final rinse, then soft cotton towel drying).

Also by playing the well-cleaned LP (dry carbon fiber brushing and cleaning the needle before each play) they sometimes get even quieter and cleaner. If the noise is 'part of' the grooves then that will always be there of course. Some of my initially noisy vinyl has gotten pretty quiet....

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wow, what brought this thread back from the dead?

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It looks like you did - the post just before years was four and a half years ago.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, 6 people were reading it and I got an "alert". Something must have dragged them to uncover this. Just curious as to why..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.