Questions for Ron Furmanek

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RetroSmith, Feb 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telliott

telliott Senior Member

Do you think your mixes will ever make it to CD? I was dissapointed to hear "Carrie Anne" after hearing the great job you did on earlier tracks like "Bus Stop". I assumed all you had access to was that stereo mix.

I was glad to hear a nice stereo version of "Do The Best You Can" (Love the harmonies) given that the earlier Hollies Epic Anthology notes said it only existed in mono.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. Ron -

The band on The Outsiders cd is not playing off key - it's that Sonny is flat in relative pitch to his bandmates . . .

Sorry for the confusion!

3. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

Ron,

Amazing, indeed.

Just yesterday I picked up a Dean Martin Capitol/Reprise collection in Target, and my wife Tina says, "I hope that song I like from 'Fools Rush In' is on there" - and it was.

What a great sound!

Johnny C.

4. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I believe he's now selling insurance.

"Your key to better coverage..."

5. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Hey Ron
    this thread is just great... some record companies must be h*ll to work with!
    How about posting a mugshot of your good self on the forum so we can see what you look like?
    All the best
    JohnnyH

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

For Hawkman:

I have "cooties"??

In Brooklyn, thems fighting words.

7. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

Yeh, that was most excellent...first time I heard it, the background vocals startled me when they came in, heh heh.

Thanks for giving Gene the compilation he deserved!

(For those that are interested, Gene's Capitol albums are available now on CD, but almost all of the early singles were non-LP, so the Capitol Collectors CD is the place to find them all in one tidy place, with a cool instrumental backing track for "Rocky Road Blues" as a bonus track).

8. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Ha!!!

Really? How about 'pork cheese and fiddle cream'? That will get a man yelled at here in Jersey. :)

9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Sonny Geraci now tours the oldies circuit.

10. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Here 'tis:

click here

11. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

12. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident

Sounds good! Great job Ron Furmanek!

13. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

What a tease! But what a great mix!

Please, Ron - the punters need the rest of that...

Chris

14. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

:edthumbs: :) :righton: :thumbsup: :) :D :agree: :goodie: :wave: :cool: :cool: :wave: :goodie: :agree: :D :thumbsup: :righton: :edthumbs:

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Andy Balough (StereoScout) like that Swinging Blue Jeans CD that you did for the Capitol Collector's series. Why did you have to narrow the stereo fields until they were almost mono?

16. Fabulous! Thanks Ron.

17. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Great Hollies clip, Ron. Thanks so much for sharing that with us. A revelation!

18. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Ron, Thanks for sharing the clip!

While "King Midas" is NOT one of my favorite Hollies tunes, you certainly gave it a whole new "breath of fresh air"! Too bad that it goes unreleased!

Chris C

19. RetroSmith

King Midas in Reverse

>>>>>Hey folks, just wanted to be sure that everybody saw that Holy Zoo did in fact post the clip of king Midas in Reverse that Ron asked me to share with you.

If you havent yet, give it a listen and tell us what you think. Arent the Hollies just an AMAZING band??

And I think Ron did a fine job on this mix also.

What say you guys?

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Mikey, I gave it a listen, it SOUNDS GREAT! :thumbsup:

21. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

Ron, 2 questions.....
    I assume that with next year being the 40th anni. of Help this is when we will see it rereleased. Since it is owned by Apple, is it possible that it might ge a true 5:1 mix?? And do you have a Brother or cousin that does film work? I've seen a Bob Furmanek on the home theatre forum. He has worked on Abbot & Costello films and such.
    Thanks........

22. RetroSmith

Help!!

Thats a good point. HELP will be re-released for sure, I would think.

But I wonder if they even have all the audio elements to do a 5.1 mix. They COULd, in a worst case scenario, mix the music into 5.1 I'd like to see that happen anyway.

23. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Maybe the stupidest question for Ron, but....

Are you related to BOB Furmanek, the co-author of "Abbott & Costello In Hollywood"(among others)? Your brother, perhaps?

Can't make any comment on any Beatles-related question, Ron? S'ok.

Evan

24. Kubrick

Kubrick Forum Resident

Would stunning be an understatement...What I wouldn't give to be able to own this remix on a cd. The original sounds muddy in comparison to the clear and crisp sound of Ron's remix. Maybe I missed it, if it was mentioned when "King Midas" was, but was "Carrie Anne" remixed as well and nixed by members of the group as well?
    I love that Hollies set...I originally bought it for three songs, but the older I get, the more songs grow on me and I love it.

25. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

It would have been nice to have that alternate mix on the box set. It's gorgeous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.