Question about "pre-emphasis" for Abbey Road (Black Triangle)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

Taken from another thread, and it makes sense to me.

Is this not correct?

2. Is there any CD player which plays a CD with PE correctly if the PE flag is not set in the TOC (e.g. The Beatles - Abbey Road Black Triangle).

Is this prebata 3 version still available for download?

3. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

All CD-players I've checked play them correctly - even some cheap modern DVD-players.
    My impression is, that most of the mid-80s CDs carry the pre-emhasis flag in the subchannel, and not in the TOC.

I found EAC 0.95 prebeta3 here.
    When you're using it, you get the corrected TOC via the menu Action/TOC Alterations/Detect TOC manually.

Martin

4. Martin,

it must be that there are three different possible cases regarding PE:

1) PE flag set in TOC (most CD players recognize and play these correctly)
    2) PE flag set sub-channels (most CD players recognize and play these correctly)
    3) PE flag is not set anythere, but the audio data is pre-emphasized (these CD's are basically authored wrong and don't get recognized by any CD player)

Examples:

1) the 1986 Castle Black Sabbath CD's, Pink Floyd The Wall Columbia
    2) Abbey Road Black Triangle (just my assumption, I don't have the CD)
    3) the Creative Sounds Black Sabbath CD's, at least the first album and MoR

5. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

I can confirm Andreas' conclusions. I compared wavefiles that I made run through Sox, WaveEmph and an FFT-filter in Adobe Audition and they sounded quite similar to each other but... the original wavefile that was de-emphased by my digital audio converter sounded the best, maybe because this unit uses an analog circuit.

My concern is: will emphasis still be supportet by playback gear in 10 or 15 years? If not, the only decent way to listen to CD's with pre-emphasis is convert them to un-emphased wavefiles with these little tools and burn a CD-R.

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Note on Abbey Road black triangle PE. Our elderly Studer players play this correctly. Ingrid has a copy as does her brother. Her McIntosh players and Sony SCD-1 players play this CD correct. That Sony can read this most reliably. There is supposedly a last batch authored with the PE in the subcode. This one can be played on virtually all machines. A friend at EMI tells me that the 3/4" U-Matic 1630 master was made on a misaligned U-Matic deck and that was why the subcode glitched.

7. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Wasn't the Sony 1630 released in September 1986? How could the Toshiba Abbey Road made in 1983/84 be made with a 1630?

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi ChristianL,

Pardon, I meant to say Sony PCM 1610. This unit was in use then. They were first made in March 1982. The follow-on to the PCM F-1 processor. The PCM F-1 had better A/D and D/A converters. Sony began installing these on later PCM 1610 units and all 1630's.

9. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Hi Kent,

thanks for the clarification.

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

It is correct. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.