Question about Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung' with 'pink rim' labels

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by progmog, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

It is an old thread but I have not find an answer at this question...
    In my case, I have the Benefit with "P 197x ISLAND RECORDS LTD" and the Aqualung without these words. Here the pics.

Anyone have an answer?

JT_3benefit3_pinkrim_label.JPG JT_4aqualung_2pinkrim_label.JPG

2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The is the UK designation for the "copyright" date. It appears that way on the "Benefit" label.

The P on the "Aqualung" label means the same thing, but, since the "Aqualung" font is in the "Olde English" style, it's not circled.

Giorgio likes this.
  3. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Thanks John for the expalnation.
    Anyway, Aqualung miss the words "Island Records Ltd" after "P 1971", while Benefit does...it would be nice to know why...

4. Mick king

Mick king New Member

OK the facts about Tull on Island labels
    Thee first two albums were on Island because Chrysalis did not exist at that time.
    Once Chrysalis was formed, Ian Anderson and Terry ellis decided as a mark of respect to Island for what they had done for them was to press a limited run on Island in the UK for the next two albums.
    Island was also used for other countries as late as Living in the Past.
    The green Chrysalis label has nothing to do with Island, not even the "crossover" one with the small white "i".
    It is all a matter of respect, amd that is as explained in an interview by Ian himself.
    As for Aqualung, the first pressing was actually the US one on Reprise followed by the UK versions. Chrysalis pressed them in the UK, but they just put Island labels on them.

marklungo and Bill Cormier like this.
  5. progmog

progmog Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, this is incredibly interesting, and certainly seems to make sense. Welcome to the forum, by the way :wave:

6. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

A question, if Chrysalis were nothing to do with Island why did Island release their records initially and why did the early Chrysalis labels have the white i island logo and text on them ?

And we seem to be none the wiser on the Benefit/Aqualung pink rim copies. From what i can see these seem to have been pressed around late 71/2 ( by emi as has been stated) But were these either A) for export B) a mistake C) a favour to island or some other odd reason

I'm not sure what the UK release date was for Benefit but the pink rim is usually not seen on Albums pressed before 1971, if some people are saying earliest copies of Benefit were on pink rims labels then that does not tie up as they should then be on pink i labels for 1970 unless the UK release for Benefit was 1971. However there is a possible precedent for this, King Crimson's lizard which has a date of 1970 but no known UK pink I labels are known as far as I am aware, the earliest are all pink rim.

However like I say i do think the pink rim benefits are later than the green i labels but i am none the wiser as to why they exist !

7. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

That doesn't make sense as original UK copies of Aqualung were pressed by EMI. Chrysalis was only a label, they didn't actually press records.

8. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Some interesting quotes on Chrysalis' Wikipedia page:

"Chrysalis Records might have come into being anyway, you never know what might have happened, but Chrysalis Records really came into being because Jethro Tull couldn't get a record deal and MGM couldn't even get their name right on the record". This was after the single Sunshine Day/Aeroplane was incorrectly credited to Jethro Toe."

[​IMG]

"Chrysalis entered into a licensing deal with Chris Blackwell's Island Records for distribution,[2] based on the success of bands like Jethro Tull, Ten Years After and Procol Harum, which were promoted by the label. Jethro Tull signed with Reprise Records in the United States, which led Chrysalis to an American distribution deal with Reprise's parent company, Warner Bros. Records."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.