Queen leave EMI and sign with Universal Music

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wallace, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Sadly, there are still missing multitracks.

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Not sacriledge its quite a good album, just not Queen.
    Maybe RMT would ahve been better Rodgers May Taylor band

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

The Crummy bonus tracks were nothing to do with EMI, that was Hollywood records inclusive to the USA!

4. retrocool73

retrocool73 New Member

We've had a concise best-of recently haven't we? And, IMO, it was dire. The tracklisting of the first Greatest Hits is perfection, what would be wise is to incorporate Volume II with the better tracks on Volume III as neither come close, or alternatively a 'singles collection' in date order that includes the likes of Tie Your Mother Down, Las Palabras De Amor & Backchat rather than cherry-picking the 'biggies' and mixing them with some of the tawdry post-Freddie releases

5. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Unfortunately for the U.S., it doesn't do anything positive for us. Hollywood has done such an...odd...job with Queen, and the way they cherry pick what projects they'll release here in the States...wow. The non-release of the Freddie box set is still confusing and maddening.

Anyone have a clue when the Hollywood contract is up?

And is the final nail in the coffin for EMI?

6. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Sad to say, but I really don't think QPL are interested in anything but pulling in new buyers. They've had so many opportunites to do the right thing and please the long-term fans and collectors (and believe me, they KNOW what we want), but every time, they manage to give us exactly what we DON'T want. What they did with the CD singles boxes (as opposed to the original plan) is very probably the last straw for me. You can only take disappointment so many times.

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Me too. Brian May was really into 5.1 when the DVD Audio's of ANATO and The Game were released. I remember him posting on his site that the 5.1 mix of The Game was the only way to listen to the album for him now. Unfortunately after that, all went dead.

8. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Don't expect to see any reissues for a while - Queen have still got to see their contract out with EMI, including the 4th and final singles box.

9. KennyG

KennyG Forum Resident

What was the original plan? I'm surprised that they have never done a proper Queen boxset with rarities and outtakes. The material that is circulating among fans is generally quite good.

10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

There are plans for a Queen rarities/Anthology style project, confirmed by Greg Brooks, Queen's official archivist. However, it's a project that has been talked about for 10 + years, so who knows when it'll happen.

11. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

So is the Queen box set "The Crown Jewels" not a good release then?

I have it but haven't ever listened to it.

12. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I didn't know Queen still existed. Why

13. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Disney(Hollywood's owner),may also want to be out of the record business,even the Miley Cyrus & Jonas Bros. stuff.Disney is streamlining its businesses,including the film division. They recently said "No,thanks,"to a sequel to "The Proposal",a $40 million dollar film that grossed $315 million,so you know it ain't the money. They want to control all things Disney ,and future Miley Cyrus & the Jonas Bros. acts could wind up on something other than Hollywood. Besides,Universal already distributes Disney's record business,so even letting Universal have a bigger part of the music business with maybe a joint venture is only letting the leash up a bit. Licensing is a big part of Disney.Queen and whatever is part of the rest of Hollywood Records,is small potatoes if Disney is even changing its business model for movies. Disney seems to be only making blockbuster entertainment like Pixar,Pirates of the Caribbean,Marvel superhero films or low-end High School Musical/Hanna Montana stuff they can exploit with merchandise deals. There ain't no middle here. Queen or even country music stars Rascal Flatts seem to get in the way of the gigantic dollars Disney wants to generate and have complete control. Don't be surprised.

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I thought the DTS 5.1 of "The Game" was well done.

15. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

From Queen's manager Jim Beach: http://www.brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennews.html

“Many of you will have read bits and pieces on the internet about Queen leaving EMI and moving record companies. Although we are saying nothing official at this stage I felt that you should hear from us that it is true that Queen are leaving EMI after 39 years.”

“Next year we start working with our new record company to celebrate Queen’s 40th anniversary and we will be announcing full details of the plans over the next 3 months. As Brian has already said Queen’s next moves will involve 'studio work, computers and live work'. “

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I would like to see the Earl's Court tapes finally released.

17. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

This makes me salivate!!!!

18. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

An unedited version of Live Magic would be nice.

19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'm trying to think what the 'studio work, computers and live work comment could mean aside from reissuing the studio albums (studio work), new website/downloads (computers) and reissuing live albums/DVD's (live work).

20. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Here's hoping for your sakes that Queen get better treatment on Universal than Crowded House have since they left EMI.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

My wish list

1- 70s DVD/CDs package with Hammersmith Odeon 1979, Earls Court 1977, Houston 1977, etc
    2- New 5.1/stereo remastered catalog including CD/DVD package with promo videos, live performances, footage, etc (à la Genesis ... without that mastering of course ;)). Singles & non album songs included on the respective albums for the first time
    3- Singles Collection properly done. With a few CDs including all their A & B sides filling 80 min CDs

:righton:

22. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

+1. An AF Queen II would be fantastic!

23. mikem60

mikem60 Forum Resident

is there any good queen dvds??

24. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

Dream on!

Those early albums aren't exactly engineered in the most pristine of audio quality...but it means nothing to me. You just won't have audiophile versions of them ever. But the vibe of those albums is fantastic...and I wouldn't want a thing to be changed.

25. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

You may be right. Have you personally heard the master tapes? Hard to tell otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.