Prince - 180g Vinyl - Warner/Rhino

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dazz, Mar 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The deadwax of the new Dirty Mind has side 1:

WB-23720A (which is crossed out)
    WB 3478-A (which is also crossed out)
    WB 3478 A (in larger print - not crossed out)
    19666.1(3) (which is crossed out)
    19664.1(3) (in larger print - not crossed out)
    BG

Side 2:

WB 3478-B (which is crossed out)
    WB-23720B (which is crossed out)
    WB 3478 B (in larger print - not crossed out)
    19666.2(3) (which is crossed out)
    19664.2(3) (in larger print - not crossed out)
    BG

The catalog number on the new issue is R1 3478.

I have yet to open either Controversy or 1999 yet - so I don't know what is in the dead wax of those.

2. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Ok - I opened Controversy (so I can stare at the poster of Prince in the shower ... ;) )

Deadwax:

Side 1:
    WB 3601-A
    19665.1(3)
    BG

Side 2:
    WB 3601-B
    19665.2(3)
    BG

3. electricberet

electricberet Forum Resident

Thanks. Does anyone know what all this means? Is it possible that an older vinyl pressing is being reused?

4. electricberet

I wrote to Bernie Grundman Mastering to ask about the reissues, and this is the response I got:

Yes those titles were remastered at our studio by Bernie. We received the original tapes and remastered them, using the original first pressings as references.

We did the work back in January of this year.

My overall reaction after listening to all three discs is that these albums aren't going to sound any better than they do on these reissues.

5. Dazz

Dazz Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got my Dirty Mind and 1999. Won't be able to listen for a few days, but they look fantastic. I would have liked some more protective inner sleeves, but they are reproductions after all. Can't wait to give these a spin.

6. Dazz

Nice legwork electricberet. :thumbsup:

7. Dazz

I listened to Dirty Mind through headphones last night. It is fantastic! Dead quiet vinyl and Bernie has once again done an awesome job. I don't regret forking out for this at all. I haven't compared to my original copy from back in the day, but there's certainly less sibilance (still a tiny bit here and there). I'll be listening again today through the speakers.

8. Dazz

Listened to Dirty Mind twice through the speakers. This is an absolute winner. I'm no audiophile so I can't describe it like others her can. All I can say is that it has a nice full, round sound. The bass really thumps and the vocals sound "close". Fairly wide soundstage and great instrument separation. I just wanted to keep playing it. I can really crank up the volume too. That's about as technical as I can get.

Ditto for 1999. I held off on Controversy but I've since ordered that too. As a massive Prince fan, I can't recommend these highly enough. Sure, you can pick up used copies for cheap, but these are heavyweight vinyl, pressed at RTI (and my copies are flawless) and mastered by the original mastering engineer. I'm even considering picking up spare copies for 30 years down the track!

9. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

Just got these for my birthday.

Incredible! Uptown is pumping out of my speakers. The drums and bass are amazing. Literally like hearing these tracks for the first time.

Any chance of ATWIAD and Parade?

Swordsandchains likes this.
  10. coffeecupman

coffeecupman Forum Resident

There is no reason why these new masters shouldn't trump the old ones.

Yes it's the same engineer. But he's got 30 more years of experience and his mastering hardware chain has undergone 30 years of evolution. The amps and cabling in the cutting chain are all probably miles ahead of the stuff he was using before.

Of course, the tapes are older now. But I'm starting to think hearing all these great reissues that that's really not so much of an issue.

ccm

11. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Yes Bernie is a master at mastering, but his auditory system is 30 years older as well and hearing does degrade with age. Not to throw water on the campfire, and I'm sure the re-issues sound great, but just sayin'. . .

And, I'd like to see a vinyl reissue of "Sign 'O' the Times".

12. Dazz

I sent an email to Bernie Grundman Mastering about further reissues. They said it's up to Rhino, but based on the positive feedback they're getting, it's a definite possibility.

13. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Those two would be amazing choices :righton:

14. electricberet

That's great. I wonder if Prince had to approve these or if they are already permitted under his existing contracts.

In addition to ATWIAD and Parade, I really hope they redo SOTT, the Black Album and Lovesexy. My original vinyls sound good but I'd love to hear what Bernie would do with them the second time around. The Black Album in particular is not easy to find on vinyl; apart from the aborted 1987 release, it was never officially released on vinyl in the U.S. except as a promo. Some of the better 12" singles would be great to have as well (especially "Let's Go Crazy"/"Erotic City," and of course "Raspberry Beret"/"She's Always In My Hair"). I had all of them at one point but they're somewhere in my mom's storage shed probably warped to death after all these years.

15. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I am guessing Prince has ZERO say on any of these , Hence the "Slave" years when he wanted his tapes back :agree:

16. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

I'm guessing this the case too. Isn't this just Warners getting the last out of their contract before these masters go back to the man himself? And isn't this the reason we haven't seen (and aren't going to get) For You and Prince - because he has these back already?

17. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

What would value would prince add to these re-issues considering Burnie has remastered them with considerable care and attention ?

I bet he is not knocking back the royalties.

18. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

Been thinking about picking these up..but I have the originals! Can anyone who has them do a shootout?

I find the originals on the bright side and quite cold/sterile sounding (like a lot of 80s music I suppose), if these are some kind of improvement I will spring for them.

19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Because they could.

I like that two companies, now, thought to reissue prince albums on vinyl, but I wish these companies would put their efforts into reissuing things that haven't been reissued twice.

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

From what I understand, he recently re-signed with Warner Brothers. He may have a new deal that gives him control of some sort. Who knows.

21. electricberet

I have always assumed that the master tapes are stored at Prince's vault at Paisley Park in Minnesota. Otherwise, WMG would have done CD remasters by now, right? How did Bernie get them if Prince didn't approve this project? Also, if Prince was opposed to this, you'd think he would be making a big stink about it like he did back in the 1990s during his old fight with WB.

My guess is that Prince signed off on it, possibly as part of a larger deal, but he doesn't have much interest in the project.

22. electricberet

I have the originals on vinyl as well. I listened to the original Dirty Mind and the reissue back to back to see if I could tell a difference. The original sounds significantly better to my ears, but I'm no expert.

23. electricberet

Sorry, I meant to say that the reissue of Dirty Mind sounds better than the original. I don't know the correct technical terms but it just sounds richer and fuller to me, like you're hearing a live performance.

24. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Has anybody listened Controversy or 1999 yet? Any comments about those two?

25. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.