Pre-remaster Deja Vu CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Jun 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Crikey!, is this one remixed??

The cymbals sound completely different/dominant compared to all previous versions i've heard.

JJ

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

No, that CD is just really, really bright. Not sure why.

3. Mike1055

Mike1055 Forum Resident

I think the added guitar was there to replace Neil Young , if I remember right this was a CSN comp so they took Neil out.
    Mike

4. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Great thread! :righton: I'll have to check my Japanese first pressing to see whether I have the same tape issues.

5. lukpac

Just reviving this...

One thing I just noticed - both the tray card and disc mention Germany rather than W. Germany. Did WEA just not make the distinction on their discs? Or did my (uncorrected) copy in fact come from 1990 or later?

Like I said, my copy displays as 36:21 in WMP, and it is the early version with drop-outs. I really wonder where this notion of better/worse sounding versions comes from, since the two are identical other than the small sections that were/weren't corrected.

FWIW, this is the list of matrix numbers I compiled from looking over this thread:

Drop outs:
    7567 19118-2 2895 821 01
    7567 19118-2 2895 821 03

Fixed:
    3 19118-2 SRC=08 MS82
    3 19118-2 SRC+07 M4S6
    2 50001 SRC 01
    19118-2 SRC 04

On a related note, does anyone know if there are multiple versions of So Far prior to the Gastwirt remaster?

6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

That's the one I have (I think that it was a 32XD with a "sticky obi"). If you are going to check, then I won't.

What an amazing forum -- throw out some questions about the Deja Vu CD from 20 years ago, and Barry Diament chimes in -- just amazing. . . . .

grandegi likes this.
  7. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

When a disc is labeled Germany instead of W. Germany it's most likely a post 1990 CD. Since Oct, 3rd 1990 there was no nonger East or West Germany.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi Steve,

I remember the Sony Digital Editing System very well. Still amazing what that equipment could do. Your chiming in sure brought back memories of my old Nashville days. I learned that system in 1986 and never looked back.

9. lukpac

Right. But the time line for Deja Vu issues seems off - it was previously suspected the corrected version was issued in 1988. Either that didn't happen until later or Germany never got sent the new version. *Or* WEA simply indicated "Germany" even before reunification.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

Very often, it wasn't unusual to see WEA recordings in Germany still using original masterings. They often didn't get revisions!

11. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Yeah, the "hissy" (=Target) version of Sweet Baby James is still available here :)

12. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

You mean it's digitally identical to the Target CD AND it's not OOP? Do you have a link to where I can get it please?

13. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Hi Saatvik, here's a link to the German Amazon. The release date is April,18th 1984. I can't give a 100%v guarantee, but I've heard the Target version, it has a lot of hiss and I've heard the German non-Target some years ago and it had a lot of hiss, too. So there's a good chance, You will get the Target mastering when ordering at Amazon.de

BTW, the pre-secret remaster of Rumours was in print here until the 2-CD remaster has been released two or three years ago.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, not having anything else to do at 2:00 a.m. today, I listened to my old 32XD-367 Japan pressing of Deja Vu. It reads 39:23 on my Sony 9000ES, and the described drop outs are there.

15. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Luke, are you sure you didn't get the drop-outs and the fixed matrix codes the other way round? See this post by Andreas - http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1875291&postcount=7

16. rpd

rpd Senior Member

My 7567 19188-2 2895 821 02 also has the bad dropouts....

17. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Are the "fixed" ones Barry's mastering or not???

18. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Or, in other words, if you want Barry's work on this CD, you have to live with the dropouts???

19. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

As we noted before, it seems that Barry's mastering was used for the "fixed" version as well. We just don't know the source of what some unknown person used to splice in the fixes - other than the fact that the fix source was of somewhat lesser quality (more noise, less clarity).

If that makes any sense.

20. lukpac

Andreas actually has the corrected CD:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=1877617&postcount=42

Right. I don't know exactly how much of the newer disc uses spliced in sections, but for the most part the two editions are actually identical.

21. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

^^Ahh, ok. My bad. Apologies all around.

22. peter

peter Senior Member

It does to me and it would explain why, at least to me, the version with thr drop outs sounded so much better than the one without. The one I kept, the one with the drop-outs was a W. German one, the other was a US, which I sold.

23. lukpac

It doesn't explain why the one with dropouts would sound better at all, actually.

24. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Aqualung? :whistle:

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Is the 20p2 Barry's mastering, and is it the "corrected" version?

Thanks

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.