Pre emphasis list?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andyinstal, Jul 24, 2007.

1. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

May i add some infos for your wiki?

Pressing plants, Italy:

Optimes - Optical Media Storage S.p.A., 1986-2004
    City: L'Aquila
    Several pressing run in the 1989-1990 had the "cd rot" problem.

Pozzoli CD, 1988-going
    City: Inzago (MI)

2. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I think I installed EAC 0.95 pb3 properly, but I can't figure out how to make it read my computer's disc drive??

Meantime, does Earth, Wind and Fire Raise! 35DP-15 have PE?

The newly released version of dBpoweramp has a "Track Technical" field, which is said to display PE, HDCD, etc. I tested a handful of PE discs and the PE was not detected. It only reads from the TOC and not sub-channel, but I thought it would work for the vast majority of CDs.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't know about a list, but the Cambridge Audio players don't do it apparently.

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

bump for post #202

5. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Crap. :) I just compared a bunch of Machine Heads, and I found this out too. ("Why does my rip sound so bright?") You beat me by 7 weeks. I thought this was "news". :wave:

6. Found out today:
    Barclay James Harvest - Turn of Tide
    Polydor 800 013-2 Made in W.Germany

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

New Order - Low Life (FACD 100) is on the list, but EAC says "No" for pre-emphasis for me for my Japan-made version of this.

Is this one known to have pre-emphasis but isn't properly flagged on the disc? Or are there some pressings without it?

8. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I think I have the answer: pre-emphasis must be flagged via sub-codes but not the TOC. I assume EAC only looks at the TOC.

9. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Also depends on which version of EAC you're using.

10. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I'm surprised to find that this CD has pre-emphasis:

Nena - 99 Luftballons
    Epic EK 39294
    Made in USA (DADC)
    Matrix: DI8P 50042 21A1

I think there is a 35DP of this, and I would expect that and the equivalent J4USA disc to have PE, but the subsequent DADC pressings usually don't. (Makes me wonder if it's the same mastering as the first Japan press.)

11. Not at home right now. How do I know if the version of iTunes I'm running has this feature? I currently have 2 or 3 CDs w/ pre-emphasis ripped to my iPod Classic thru iTunes.

Think I'm running iTunes 8 or 9.

12. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

EAC Pre-Beta 3 (PB3) has detected pre-emphasis on my Made in Japan for UK copy of Low-life. The later, US Qwest re-issue of Low-life does not have it, and sounds better to me - although I haven't done more than a casual comparison.

13. Does Genesis - Selling England By The Pound Japanese 32VD-1029 have pre-emphasis?

14. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

No.

Have not found pre-emph on any of the 32VD discs I own.

I have all the Genesis, Peter Gabriel and Roxy Music 32VD discs - all without pre-emph.

Am surprised the Mike Oldfield VDJ is listed as normally the VDJ normally has the same mastering as the 32VD before it. Maybe the Tubular Bells 32VD has pre-emph?

15. I haven't found a copy of Tubular Bells yet that DIDN'T have pre-emphasis! Perhaps the later pressings don't?

-s1m0n-

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Are you guys checking PE in both the TOC and via the sub code? You can only do the latter via EAC 0.95pb3. However, I've found at least a half dozen of my CDs that only have PE indicators in the subcode. Not a problem for CDP playback, but makes playback on a music server a bit tricky.

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Another version of Billy Joel - Piano Man
    Columbia CK 32544
    Matrix: 1A CK32544 08 A
    Hub marking: CMU P 94
    EAC peaks: 74.3 / 81.5 / 91.8 / 74.7 / 78.6 / 68.5 / 74.5 / 70.3 / 62.9 / 69.4

PE detected in the TOC by new versions of EAC
    Used eac095pb3 with "Detect TOC Manually" and PE was detected then as well. I assume that means the PE is in the subcode as well.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Probably a new one:

XTC - Oranges & Lemons - Virgin CDV2581 (SONOPRESS C-5845/CDV2561 B)

Sounds incredibly trebly normally, and much more natural and listenable with De-emph applied. No mention of Pre-emph in EAC.

19. Downsampled

Hmm, no offense, but this sounds specious. I'd want to play this against some other CDs to investigate. I have a hard time believing they would master this CD with PE.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

None taken. Try it yourself if you can.
    Maybe a mistake was done at the pressing plant? I don't know.
    I can upload samples.

21. zefa

zefa Member

Hi,

Sorry to ask, but a Sony discman can de-emphasize any cd with pre-emphasis or you need some more sophisticated equipment?

thanks
    zefa

John Bliss likes this.
  22. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

I dont think discmans can do de-emphasis but you can try it.

Get a cd that youre positive that has PE, rip a copy to your pc and burn it without PE flags.

Play both, the silver CD and the CDR. If they sound identical it isnt decoding PE, if the CDR sounds brighter than the silver CD it is decoding it properly.

Hope that helps :wave:

23. Downsampled

All CD players are supposed to handle PE. it's a requirement of the spec. Sony is a reputable manufacturer of CD players (obviously), so I don't see why a Sony Discman wouldn't do it.

That said, it's been well documented that some players -- especially the more recent ones -- don't. So the test above is a good one.

24. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

Does anyone have a link about de-emphasis in CDPs that explains if the circuit to do its is built in within the dac or is a sepparate thing? Im trying to understand if avoiding such circuit is a benefict in size, cost, complexity, or something else.

Why would a de-emphasis circuit be avoided when designing a CDP?