Post your Matrix Codes for your RL copy of Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Jun 30, 2006.

1. I have a UK version, and the RL/RL kills it. But that's my ears.

Giorgio likes this.
  2. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Thanks for your answer.
    Could you please let me know the full dead wax info etached on both your copies (UK and US-RL/ss)?
    Moreover, is your RL copy narrowed?

3. When I get home I can post that.

I have 5-6 copies of the RL/RL version, all of the ones talked about in this Forum, even the one with the narrowed deadwax.

4. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Thank you very much!
    I ask this because I'm trying to figure out if all the US RL/ss copies have this famous sound, or there may be exceptions.
    For example my US CP/RL copy sounds the same as the UK A2/B2 first pressing ... maybe this US CP/RL press is not "the best" example ... waiting for your info.

5. All my RL's have better SQ than my UK version.

Some are noisier than others but there is no mistake as to dynamics compared to non-RL versions.

Dead wax for my UK: A//6 420 11 27
    B//4 14 20

Pressing plants for my RL's:
    CTH
    SP......narrowed dead wax on side 2
    SP
    PR.....narrowed dead wax on side 2
    MO

The two with the narrowed dead wax have the same skinny, feint "RL ss" on side two.

6. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

You have:
    - some versions of the US RL' cut (CTH, SP, SP narrowed/S2, PR narrowed/S2 and MO pressing plat)
    compared with
    - a later/secon press UK plum-red copy with dead wax A6 420 11 27 / B4 4 14 20 (the "Killing Floor" final version).

I have:
    - one US RL'cut on CP pressing plant
    compared with
    - a early/first press UK plum-red copy with dead wax A2 1 1 3 / B2 1 1 (the earliest version with "Wreck" mistake on label).

Please not that we have here two different comparison, from different versions and cuts....so we have two different final answers.

In you case, the conclusion is: the US RL's cuts have better SQ then a later UK's cut.
    In my case, the conclusion is: the US RL's cut has same SQ then an early UK's cut.

IMO, both our conclusions should be correct :agree:

7. A post to read from a few years ago by "sungshinla"​

Thanks to both of you. Sung that's an extensive report. Great info! I'm listening to Steve and Kevin's Yes Fragile remaster as we speak. Damn I wish they could work their magic on Led Zeppelin II!​
    You are very welcome, Steve.

Since that report, I did reacquire the Mo-Fi pressing and the Japanese original Nippon Gramophone blue/white/green label pressing (as well as the US pressing with "@t gp" on the dead wax, meaning mastered by George Piros).

If I had to rank the various pressings, it would be something like:

The double RL with matrix ending in 1A on both sides: 11+

Other double RL pressings (including white label promos): 11

Single RL pressings (for Side 1 only), including the German RL: 11 for Side 1; 5 for Side 2

Mo-Fi: 9.5

UK plum/red earliest stampers: 9.5

Japanese blue/white/green Nippon Gramophone original: 9.5

German original non-RL pressing: 9 for one side and 7.5 for the other side (because of a glitch on that other side)

Japanese Pioneer-Atlantic original with cat. no. beginning 8---: 9

Japanese mail order Atlantic/Sony pressing: 9

Japanese Pioneer-Atlantic second with cat. no. beginning 1----: 8.5

Other Japanese pressings: 8 to 8.5

George Piros US Atlantic cut: 7.5 to 8

I believe that the master tape of this has had wear over the years, and I do not believe that even a Steve Hoffman mastered vinyl would sound better than the original 1A, 1A double RL cut. I think he can make it sound better than the Mo-Fi, however.

Just my humble opinion.

end quote.

As I said before, listen to the one your ears like. Enjoy.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  8. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Thanks Richard for your contribution. I will try to contact "sungshinla" for a feedback and further info.

9. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Hello sungshinla,
    Congrat, for your posts and analysis regarding this matter!
    Reading this thread I realize that you are the main expert about this kind of comparison, so I would kindly have a feedback also from you.

I am interested about the comparison with an early UK press.
    Is it possible to know the dead wax of your early UK copy? I think you are speaking about the one with the "Wreck" mistake on label...

I ask you so because the result of the comparison done by me between my US RL/ss cut and my earliest UK cut (the Wreck one) disagree with your conclusion. It could depend of the kind of UK cut you have played during the comparison IMO.

My US LZ II is a Columbia Pitman, NJ press, CP on Broadway labels, and dead wax says:
    ST-A-691671 RL ss B 3 (side 1)
    ST-A-691672 RL ss A 3 (side 2)

You can find my conclusions and all the info from my side here above, page 4, please see from my post #98 and following...

Thank you!

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Ist copy is a "PR" pressing
    Sd 1) ST-A-69171-A WLP (stacked) W AT RL
    Sd 2) ST-A-69172-A WLP (stacked) RL SS W (narrow dead wax)

2nd copy is a "SP" pressing
    Sd 1) ST-A-69671-A WL (stacked) W RC(backwards in side of an S - hard to read) AT RL
    Sd 2) ST-A-69172-C 0 (or a zero) WL(stacked) RL SS W AT RC(same logo again really faint) (slightly wider dead wax than the other copy)

11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

My "keeper" copy after we compared several copies.

ST-A-69167-1A RL SS
    ST-A-69167-2-1A RL SS XT 1

RL "skinny" with the SS sort of diagonally stacked over each other.

12. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Anyone interested in selling a VG+ or better copy, please MP me. Would prefer the super narrow deadwax Side 2 version (usually "PR" or "SP" pressings)

13. parvez1971

parvez1971 Well-Known Member

Few more question . How do you recognize Led Zeppelin ll mastered by RL / SS 1st pressing and the HOT MIX ? Which one is the corrected " LOUDER " version ? Would you please tell me which one is THE ONE to get ? Also how do I find out it's which one by Monarch press and Terra Haute press ?
    Matrix numbers are ....?
    I will appreciate it , thanks in advance .

Abe

14. parvez1971

parvez1971 Well-Known Member

What is " PR " & SP stand for ? Thanks .

15. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

parvez1971 likes this.
  16. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Just bought on Ebay one LZ II with RL on both sides, Monarch pressing (with narrowed side 2), for 29,99 $.
    I avoided asking the seller to look for if there are also two small "ss" on both sides because these letters are often very difficult to see (very lightly etched) .... was on offer at 29.99 and so I clicked "buy it now" quickly ... the seller did not state the condition of the vinyl because it says he's not an expert, but he sent me a lot of photos ... the condition of the vinyl seem very very good ... would be a nice surprise to find out that there are also the "ss" are engraved on both sides!
    I can not wait to receive the disc .... Do I have finally found my copy?.... Fingers crossed!!

17. Neilson77

Neilson77 Forum Resident

Whats the sellers name? Interested to check the completed listing. How long since it was listed? I only checked last night and did'nt see that! Im still kicking myself on missing a very nice clean VG++ last week! Only went for £20! The seller only updated his listing stating RL after i questioned him. Im surprised it did'nt go sky high as there was still 2 days left to go when he updated the description!

18. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

Sounds like a great buy to me. If it has RL in the deadwax it will sound fantastic even if the vinyl is less than perfect. You will at the very least have a good starter copy.
    Good luck!

19. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Here the link to the auction.
    I don't know how long was listed, I have found it yesterday morning and, after he sent me the pics of the vinyl and confirm me the RL on both sides (this was not in the description), I have immediately bought it....if it has also the "ss" on both side I don't know. Also, side 2 is narrowed...so I thought "I can risk it for $ 29.99", right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251332161718?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Agree with you, it should be a good starter copy.
    Anyway, I already have another RL/ss copy in EX+ condition. It is a CP pressing. Yes, it plays amazing but it not kills my UK plum A2/B2 "wreck" copy.

The consensus here is that the best-sounding pressings have Robert Ludwig's initials along with SS (for Sterling Sound), and if I well undertood, this "must have" is pressed by Monarch or Presswell (I don't know about CTH) with laquers A, B and C.

So, maybe now I will have the possibility to do a final comparison with my UK plum A2/B2 "wreck" copy and a RL(ss??), narrowed side 2 MO copy.

21. PostalBlowfish75

PostalBlowfish75 Senior Member

My M- CTH is one of the best sounding rock records I've ever heard and probably the best $15 I've ever spent on a vinyl record. I'm so pleased with it in fact that my search for an upgrade has ended. If there is a better pressing available The only way I'll ever hear it is if I find it in the wild. I still look at every 8236 I come across.
    I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on the new one!

22. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Giorgio, what is a "wreck" copy? One that is in bad condition? That would be a good description for my Monarch double-sided RL ss. Fortunately, I have a much better condition Preswell.

23. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

The UK plum A2/B2 "wreck" copy is the one with the word "wreck" instead of the word "maid" on second song, side 2. Here below the photo.

Led_2_label1b.JPG

24. screw_squirrel

screw_squirrel Forum Resident

Here's my Matrix numbers:
    Both are SD8236 – 1841 Broadway NY, Label: Green, White, Red.

ST-A-691671-SP
    Side One: ST-A-691671 rSc (Speciality logo) - B0 LW AT RL ss W (deadwax 12mm)
    ST-A-691672-SP
    Side Two: ST-A-691672 - A0 LW AT RL ss W (deadwax 7mm)

ST-A-691671-MO
    Side One: ST-A-691671- MO - CC MR (Monarch logo) RL SS LW △13933 (2) W AT (deadwax 14mm)
    ST-A-691672-MO
    Side Two: ST-A-691672 - MO - CC MR (Monarch logo) LW RL SS △13933-X (2) W AT (deadwax 10mm)

They sound great but I have to say that my 1st UK pressing: 588198 A▼2 1220; 588198 B▼2 1323 sound great as well...

25. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Same conclusion done by me with a RL ss CP pressing...:thumbsup:
    I am now waiting a RL PR press, for a further comparison with my UK A2/B2...my feeling is that it will be the same...I can't wait!