Post your Matrix Codes for your RL copy of Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

I just returned with one with the same writings! Except there also is a W at the end of side 2, after SS. Mine also is narrow deadwax on side 2, 1841 Broadway etc.

2. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

:nauga::nauga::nauga::nauga::nauga:

Nice score! :)

3. I acquired a W German LP pressing of Led Zeppelin II earlier this year on the orange/green Atlantic label. The pressing I'm guessing from the WEA insert is early 1980s. Label number on the jacket is 40 037 (SD 8236)

Side 1 - WEA 40 037 A also has initials PF
    Side 2 - WEA 40 037 B also has initials PF

This vinyl is very quiet. Was quite surprised at how thin the vinyl is compared to the mid 1970s W German Atlantic Klaus Doldinger/Passport LPs in my collection.

Attached Files:

4. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Has anyone heard this one:

Inscription on Side 1 – (from counter clockwise) M – AT – ST-A-691671 – C – RL – Z

Side 2 ­– M – ST-A-691672-A – AT – RL

I'm bidding on it on eBay.

5. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

That is a slightly later run of the RL's, which were a short-lived series anyway. The "C" on Side 1 evidences that it was after the "A" (and "1A" for the Columbia pressings) but before the "D", all of which I have had at some point.

The good news is that they sound excellent and will blow all other non-RL pressings away. Also, the seller obviously missed it, but Side 2 should also have the small, faint and hand-etched "ss" next to the RL. If you win this, check for this. I am pretty certain I am right. I am also pretty certain (but less so) that Side 1 will NOT have the "ss" etched next to the "RL".

Good luck to ya! BTW, I will make sure I do not bid against you on this.

6. mtodde

mtodde New Member

Thanks. Unfortunately I got sniped. :mad:

7. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

got my double RL Zep today!

noisey!!! no skips and no really bad pops. surpised it sounds as good as it does since it looks so bad. not terrible but pretty noisey. giving it a few spins and cleanings and then gonna sit down and listen. the bass is heavy for sure.

will post my matrix. besides it saying RL SS. different parts of the deadwax has other initials too. like AT...something else too.

8. j3brow

j3brow Forum Resident

here are my codes. recently picked up off ebay.

side 1 STA - 691671 - 1A
    T V O 1
    above this is tall/skinny RL and a small SS (off center stacked)

side 2 STA - 691672 - D
    T O 1
    opposite side deadwax...larger SS and smaller LH upside down V

green/orange label
    ST-A-691671-CTH

9. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Last weekend, I was at a record store.
    And I saw a great looking early US pressing of LZ2.

I vaguely remembered seeing a thread on this forum about a special early pressing cut by Robert Ludwig. I never got deep into the tread though.
    I already had an early US copy of LZ2, but since side B sounded so damn awful, I didn't check to see if it corresponded w/ the given matrix codes.

So, I'm in the store, and I decide to take the risk of buying the LP.
    Back home, I immediately did the research to see if I had bought the 'right' pressing. Unfortunately, it wasn't so. It was a pressing from the early-mid
    70's. I even could have spotted that, had I looked a bit closer at the inside sleeve, which showed records from 1972 & 1973.

Even without a direct reference, I could tell it was mastered badly,
    with way too much compression.
    The drums in WLL -which are suppossed to kick in- just do not come through.
    Needless to say, I was pretty bummed out.
    But I had myself to blame for not doing my homework.

Just now, I was looking on ebay for a replacement, and picked out my old copy to compare with a picture.
    Naturally, I (finally) had a look at its matrixes and noticed the much-desired RL in the runout groove of the first side.
    Thanks to sungshinla's excellent post, I just learned I have the record described as in the 4th option of the US pressings.

Listening to it now. It *does* sound great.
    IMO, it sounds better than the Barry Diament CD, which sounds pretty good in itself.
    But the 2nd side sounds bad.
    No dynamics, no depth, no clarity.
    It seems to be identical to side B of my new copy.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

here are my numbers. this thread needs to be brought back if anything but so people can post if they have found one. :)

my "Good" condition copy. (ST-A-691671/2 MO)

Side 1. ST - A - 691671-MO - T CC RL ss LW (Triangle) 13933 W AT

Side 2. ST - A - 691672-MO - CC LW RL ss (Triangle) 13933-X W AT (narrower deadwax)

my "VG+++" copy. (ST-A-691671/2 PR)

Side 1. ST - A - 691671 - A LW W AT RL

Side 2. ST - A - 691672 - A (Sideways P) ? LW AT RL ss W (very narrow deadwax)

11. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

A recent acquisition (ST-A-691671/2PR) Overall condition VG+

Side 1: ST - A - 691671 - A (Sideways P LW) W AT RL

Side 2: ST - A - 691672 - A (Sideways P LW) AT RL SS
    I don't have another copy to compare it to, but the side 2 deadwax seems very narrow.

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

That looks like mine but it's only VG- at best.

13. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

ST A691671 A PLW W AT RL
    ST A691672 A PLW AT RL SS W

14. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I really wonder how many copies were pressed.

just a thought that crossed my mind.

15. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

16. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I found a decent copy of the later German Robert Ludwig-mastered (side 1 only) Led Zeppelin II for $15 this past weekend (Atomic Records, LA) and it sounds really nice. Thanks for the tip, Sung (in the 2 year old post quoted below). Now all I have to do is find an inexpensive copy with an RL-mastered side 2.

17. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

Finally found an RL pressing of LZ II!!!

I've been looking for the past several years with no luck and came across one yesterday. It had the plain(non stickered) soft,textured card stock cover. When I pulled the vinyl out and saw his initials and along with the condition it was in my heart started pounding. The cover is a strong VG+ along with a conservative visual VG to VG+ for the vinyl. Got it home, cleaned it and it really looks great.

The playback is better than the visual grade. I was stunned when heard it. This puppy is cut so hot no wonder the rigs back then had trouble tracking it. The bass info is otherworldly but it doesn't overpower the rest of the frequency range. I finally know what all the fuss is about. It's like hearing it for the first time after 40 years. It does have some very slight groove distortion in Page's gtr strumming during parts of "Thank You" and Jonesy's organ fadeout. Also, similar groove wear during the Plant harp/singing intro to "Bring it on Home", but I've heard much, much worse inner groove wear on records that look better than this. Other than that this plays remarkably well throughout the rest of the record and in the other very quiet passages there's almost no noise whatsoever.

Anyway, here's my matrix info:

Green/orange SD 8236 1841 B'way labels... Original Atlantic catalog inner sleeve

Side one: Reading counter clockwise from 12 o'clock......
    ST - A - 691671 - A P (sideways) LW (sideways)
    W (at 6 o'clock) AT RL

Side two: Reading clockwise from 5 o'clock ......
    ST - A - 691672 - C
    (At about 12 o' clock) LW RL(narrow) ss W AT

From what I've read my copy has the narrow deadwax on Side two. I tried to show that mine is an example that as the wide spacing between much of the matrix info.

I'm happy as a clam. :goodie: Oh, and it was all of $12, but they didn't know it was an RL cut.

ODShowtime likes this.
  18. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Found One - YES!!

So I end up in Toledo today for a record show.....not to much going on there and no luck with an RL Zep 2.....stop at a shop on the way home....decent place, used vinyl looks a little rough.....check the Zeppelin section - a used RL for $7 - but it was trashed....damn near cut myself on one of the scratches...junk.....oh well....

So I ask the guy if he has any more in the back....he pulls out 2, one being a first pressing.....I check the vinyl and it's a RL with the small 'ss'!!!! Both sides!!!! It's damn near mint - one small scuff....I swallow hard, put away my **** eating grin and gladly pay the $15 he's asking.....cover is amazing as well.....dude didn't have a clue, tried to sell me the "better" second pressing he had....

I check the dead wax matrix and it appears I have version 1 from this thread, which I read on the way home on my blackberry.....once I stop playing it I will get them verbatim and post.....so far it's perfect!!!!:goodie::goodie::goodie::goodie:

19. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

My latest is a 50 cent buy.

Labels: ST-A-691671 CP; ST-A-691672 CP

Deadwax ST - A - 691671 - RL faint p
    Deadwax ST - A - 691672 - RL faint p (there also may be a faint A 3 under RL)

The vinyl edge is very thin.

20. violarules

violarules Senior Member

Sweet RL score! But I think the *narrowest* deadwax is the -A cut. I have two of these.

21. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Okay, someone here is selling the following pressing NM:
    Deadwax:
    ST-A-691671-M LW AT
    ST-A-691672-M LW AT
    there is a small r, with a sideways W,
    numbers on the labels are ST-A-691671(PR) on Side 1 and ST-A-691672(PR) on Side 2.
    Address:1841 Broadway with the inner sleeve advert with albums to 1971

I gather this is an inferior non RL press? And not worth getting if I have a UK Plum/Red with the miscredit Killing Floor.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

22. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

23. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

They aren't as rare as you may think! Now, finding a QUIET copy is another matter. That said, the power of the RL LZ II music overcomes most of the surface noise!

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'd say it still is worth getting. I had the Plum UK version (orig press) and it was good. But I did not think it was amazing. I think this RL will likely be better.

Is the price right?

Eddie

25. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Its on a local auction site current bid approx US$20, he also has Led Zeppelin IV, Side One: ST-A-71285-MO Side Two: ST-A-71286-MO Deadwax info: Side One: ST-A-712285-DD AT/GP PR Side Two: ST-A-712286-CC PECKO DUCK AT/GP PR. Address for Atlantic says 75 Rockerfellar Plaza, NY.(Which is an Ex cond and has no bids starting at US$14).
    I have an inferior quality Plum/Red UK version of this so I will definitely bid on this one.