Post your Matrix Codes for your RL copy of Led Zeppelin II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CardinalFang, Jun 30, 2006.

1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

2. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

Great post Sungshinla! I was looking at my 3 copies of this LP and 2 of them end with the code PR and the other one is MO. So my never ending quest to find other copies of this LP will continue! :D

For the record (pun not intended :) ), I picked up a forth copy. However, it is was in such poor condition I am sending it back to the seller for a refund. It had about a million small scratches on it and you could hear everyone one of them. It had the most surface noise I have ever hear on any record I have ever listen to. :sigh:

3. BITBANGER

BITBANGER Senior Member

Side 1) ST - A - 691671 - C RL SS LW (sideways) W AT

Side 2) ST - A - 691672 - C LW (sideways) RL SS W AT

The #'s at the 6 o'clock possition on the label are (ST-A-691671PR) & (ST-A-691672PR)
    Side two dead wax is about 1/3 narrower than the side one dead wax. :)

4. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Green/orange label, 1841 Broadway address.

Side 1 ST-A-691671-A P LW M AT RL

Side 2 ST-A-691672-A P LW AT RL ss (narrow run off)

Owner of a used record shop on LI let me examine a half dozen LZII's, I found one and he charged me 4 or 5 bucks for it. It's in nice shape too.

5. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I hope MikeH (I think it was MikeH) posts the lists of different pressing plants, etc. The Columbia (CTH) pressing is my personal favorite NOT so much because the copy pressed by Columbia (or the copy with the CTH on the label) is better, per say, BUT RATHER the dead wax information, IMHO, shows that this was probably a part of the earliest runs (as indicated by the SKINNY "RL" on BOTH sides with a very small "ss" etched next to the "RL" on both sides). If you have other EARLY (i.e., late 60's) RL records, please take a look. His marking was a bit skinny in his late 60's pressings, which evolves into the "RL" markings that we are more accustomed to seeing from his later work. The same thing with the "ss" etching.

I guess I should have made it clearer, but my advice, if you read between the lines, is that one should try to find as CLEAN a RL copy as possible but the particular RL copy one should look for, if one wishes to take it that far, is the ones with a SKINNY "RL" with a very small "ss" etched near the "RL". I am of the opinion that ALL other markings on the dead wax is not as relevant in searching for the best sounding copy. I also do not think a white label promo copy will sound better than a non-promo double-skinny-"RL"/very-small-"ss".

I would like to invite those who have a double-skinny-"RL"/very-small-"ss" copy to compare EACH track with the other RL versions. I would like to hear others' opinion on this, but to me, my favorite copy edges out the other copies on enough parts of the tracks that it is the only version that I am now looking for and hunting down.

As I said, I am just trying to help out here.

6. sungshinla

Oops!

A correction: The UK plum/red originals came in a NON-laminated gatefold jacket.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  7. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

I have two LZ IIs with RL on both sides:

First LP:

I purchased this LP new and sealed in Ithaca NY on the date of LZ II's release. It haa a very narrow deadwax on Side 2. The Side 2 of this LP is the best that I have.

Labels at 6 o'clock: Side 1, ST-A-691671PR; Side 2 ST-A-691672PR
    Matrix info: Side 1, ST- A- 691671 - A LWP[sideways] W AT RL
    Side 2, ST- A- 691672 - A LWP[sideways] AT [skinny]RL ss W

Second LP:

I purchased this in NM condition on eBay. It has an impossibly good Side 1, but its Side 2 is not as good as the LP described above. (This Side 1 just trounced my new 45rpm version in a shootout.) The deadwax on Side 2 is "normal" width, which is about the same as Side 1.

Labels at 6 o'clock: Side 1, ST-A-691671 CP; Side 2, ST-A-691672 CP
    Matrix info: Side 1, [small sideways oval] ST-A-691671 [skinny]RL ss B 3
    Side 2, [lightly engraved musical note] ST-A-691672 RL A 2

I note that this supports Sung's observation that "ss" in combination with a skinny "RL" indicates the very best pressings.

mahanusafa02 and marcfeld69 like this.
  8. sungshinla

Hi, Hal.

From your dead wax info, it appears that your favorite Side One and favorite Side Two were from what I think was the early RL masters. I would guess that the "RL" on these "magical" sides appears a bit tall and thin (although small), as compared to the "RL" as it appears on this post. I am only guessing that because the only "RL" initials that I have seen with a small "ss" (as opposed to a larger "SS") are tall and thin (as opposed to the "RL" seen on Mr. Ludwig's later work). As mentioned in my previous post, these small-"ss"-next-to-the-tall-and-thin-but-still-small-"RL" sides are the best sounding.

Although you may have to switch between two records for the best sounding Side One and Side Two, you are still fortunate in that you do appear to have the best sounding Side One and Side Two. (There are copies with both in a single record but your two records should be more than good enough that you should look no further.)

9. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Anyone have an extra RL they want to part with to a good guy like me? I really want a nicer copy that what I have....

Marc Perman likes this.
  10. sungshinla

Hi, rpdugan.

As I have mentioned in another thread, Eddie Williamson (another forum member whom I met here and with whom I go vinyl hunting with frequently now) and I will put up for sale on this forum some records that he and I have duplicate, triplicate, etc. of, with the proceeds (well, at least the first $100 or so) being donated to this forum.

As I am now done with the search for that "right" pressing of Led Zep II and many other records, I will be putting up at least two RL Led Zep II for sale at a VERY reasonable price. But first, I will allow Eddie to "upgrade" his RL copy for free. I will note all of the imperfections with the ones that I will be selling.

The idea of our sale is to make room for our future records (my record collection has already overflowed to two other rooms, much to my girlfriend's dismay) and to price them very reasonably so that other members here benefit. You win, the forum wins and we have the satisfaction of knowing that our duplicates, triplicates, etc. will find a good home. I am still contemplating that perhaps (at least with some of my records) I will NOT make it just first-come, first-served, but rather factor into consideration, whether the particular forum member is in a location where finding the item is very difficult and whether the particular member contributes to this forum on a regular basis (not necessarily with donations but by posting). Eddie is against this idea, but I am still contemplating. I would welcome others' suggestions.

Right now, both Eddie and I are on vacation and cannot do this for another week or two weeks. I will definitely post a notice BEFORE actually posting a FS thread.

I would also welcome some suggestions on what kind of music, artist, pressing (domestic or foreign), etc. that I should put up for sale. As some of you may have guessed, due to my neurotic search for the best sounding pressing of the same record, I have multiple copies of the same recording, as well as a variety of recordings. I thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

12. sungshinla

Oops, sorry and thanks, W.B. and Ben.

13. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:thumbsup:

14. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

You're correct. The "RL" on the fabulous Side 1 is tall and skinny. The "RL" on the excellent Side 2 is fairly short (because the deadwax is so narrow) but is also quite skinny.

15. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Yes, indeed.. I was trying to rack my brains thinking where my list was.. :sigh:

I am but a follower when it comes to USA pressing plants. Discs and marks I know, but the where of the pressing is only now becoming clearer...

16. sungshinla

Hi, Hal, you have the "right" ones and need look no further than the ones you have. I guess the only improvement will come from a cleaner copy but that is about it. You are one of those few lucky ones.

Hi, Mike, I apologize for the mistake but I naturally guessed it must have been you, since you seem to know so much about this. See what happens when you know so much, lol? Anyway, I have been enjoying and learning from your posts on other threads on this Forum, and thank you (you too, Hal, the same with you)!

17. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

I checked this LP more carefully and it does have a faint SS next to a skinny RL, so I guess it's a good one - sounds pretty amazing to me! :)

18. sungshinla

:righton: :righton: :righton:

19. sungshinla

As mentioned in my post (#24), some German pressings are RL cut.

Here is one that is currently on eBay. So long as you folks do not bid against each other, this should go for under $10. These German pressings were made with quiet vinyl, as most of you already know. Good luck!

Just do a search on eBay with the following item number: 190004492968

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

Bump for those who haven't posted yet. :)

21. sungshinla

Hi, Keith. Here is one more:

On the LABEL: ST-A-691671 CP, ST-A-691672 CP

On the dead wax: On Side One, ST-A-691671 (with no extra spaces in between) and then in another area a SKINNY "RL" with SMALL "ss"; on Side Two, ST-A-691672 (with no extra spaces in between) and then in another area a NON-skinny "RL" with SMALL "ss".

22. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Here is the info on my two copies:

ST-A-691671-1A RL above the numbers there is a T at about 10 o'clock
    ST-A-69172-1A RL at 12 o'clock T at 9 o'clock
    regular deadwax on both sides...

ST-A-691671 then a squiggly thing(a sideways RC maybe?) BO at 11 o'clock AT at 3 o'clock RL at 5 o'clock W at 4 o'clock
    ST-A-691672-A AT at 11 o'clock very small RL at 10 o'clock
    skinny deadwax on both sides

23. sungshinla

Please re-check this RL copy. This copy should have next to "RL", small "ss" (for Sterling). Also, the "RL" should be skinny, skinnier than the "RL" font on this post. If so, that is my personal favorite version!

24. rpd

rpd Senior Member

It does...and it has the skinny RL

The problem is is that this copy is the one that is not so great...VG maybe.....

My other copy is very clean....

25. sungshinla

Still, you have two nice copies there. It is getting so difficult to find them in any condition.