Post photos of your systems/rooms here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay New Member

I don't have a camera, but my stereo is more like Poe's: same Sony SACD player, with Paradigm Atoms. I have tinnitus, so the typical audiophile setup is impossibly frustrating. In my BR, I have speakers on my nighttables, facing me, but at an angle so they're not beaming straight at each other. This is my favorite way to listen now, either in bed or in my chair at the end of the bed. Somehow, having the music behind me works better than having it in front.

My office speakers are on bookshelves, which are to my left rather than facing me. But that's what works. Trying to listen for imaging and soundstaging is impossible when your ears ring most of the time.

2. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Did you get it already? Post a review in Hardware if you have time.

4. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

My simple audio system...

Currently it consists of:

*Athena Technologies Audition Series AS-F2 loudspeakers
    *BEZ Model T3B 300B SET power amp
    *BEZ Model Q4B 6SN7 SRPP line stage preamp
    *Cambridge Audio azure 640C CD player
    *Nakamichi DR-1 cassette deck
    *Monster Power HTS5000 line conditioner
    *Cardas QuadLink 5-C/CrossLink interconnects
    *Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cable

Have a pair of '79 Klipsch Cornwall horn-loaded loudspeakers that are now in storage...they were much too big for my present room. See my signature to view larger images and to read additional links (and have that burning question "Why in the hell is his audio equipment sitting on a bare concrete floor?" answered in detail). :wtf:

Attached Files:

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Here is my in-progress listening room. Please excuse the butt ugly carpeting and lack thereof:

Listening Room Wideangle with Maggie 1.6QRs
    [​IMG]

Equipment rack by Salamander Design (note Richard Marsh designed Monster AC line conditioner)
    [​IMG]

This is a session photo from the Chesky Orquestra Nova record. Bob Katz is the hippie in the middle and I'm the skinny guy on the side. In front on the right is well-known audio critic and Chesky producer Steve Guttenberg.

[​IMG]

My prized Sony SCD-777ES
    [​IMG]

My prized tube amp, an Audio Research VT-100
    [​IMG]

I use Cardas Golden Reference throughout including the power cord on the Sony.

We will be adding full room carpet soon and hope to finish the basement in late summer. I will be using Acousti-block wall treatment...

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What brand of tubes are you running in your VT-100? (I used to have one of those amps; liked it.)

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Steve,

They are Russian 6550C in matched pairs from Audio Research but I'm not sure exactly on brand-Sovtek perhaps?

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ah, thanks. Should sound nice. I miss that amp; it was one of the few tube amps that could drive my Maggies with anything like real bass.

9. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Steve,

Thanks-it really sounds great - very open and terrific midrange and highs...David Chesky likes it. :)

I heard something cool recently at my local high end shop. A new ARC digital amp Class T driving Maggie 20.1s...very rich sound. The VT-100 has enough juice to drive 3.6s as well. I'm going to buy those in the summer, hopefully in cherry wood if I can afford it. The midbass is very good on my system but deep bass will be lacking until I get a sub. A friend has a PSB sub that integrates perfectly with his 3.6s...

10. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Lee,

Nice photos and gear! :thumbsup:

Bob :)

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Thanks Bob! :)

I will update it when I finish the basement. I'm also building a small recording studio with a PowerMac and an Alessis deck with 24/192k capability. I may add a Tascam DSD9800 later. I want to record acoustic musicians in two track in hirez. Probably use AKG 414 mics...the basement is huge (1700 s.f.) so I finally have the space after so many years in tiny New York and Boston apartments.

12. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Nice system, Lee! :)

13. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

That's a listening room....hopefully someday I can get my loft set up like that....

14. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Lee, Please cover up that fiberglass insulation. Stable plastic drop cloths to the studs, that stuff can do serious lung harm. :shake:

15. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I've read conflicting things about that. My current understanding is it is okay. The acoustic properties are quite nice also. Anyhow, the best solution is to get some drywall up soon. I'm working on that. :)

16. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Wow! Nice room, Lee. For some reason, I was thinking you had cotton candy all over your walls. :D

17. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Here's my room, but imagine EV12trxb's instead of the Tannoys!

2 McIntosh MC40's
    Berning TF-10 preamp
    Parasound CDP-2000 CD player
    VPI Scout with Dynavector 20x-H
    Sony Superscope R2R (tubes, baby)
    AKG K-340 cans going thru the amp of the reel to reel.

[​IMG]

18. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

damn,me fixy soon!

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Eeeek.......how will you finish it with the equipment in there? You should look into the vinyl wall board stuff. Comes with a vinyl covering...no sanding or finishing needed.

20. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

The drywall will change the acoustics of the room, that exposed fiberglass has got to be very dead acoustically.

21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

ALP,

Yes, the Maggies like a little diffusion behind them so it works surprisingly well. The big problem is the exposed concrete floors. This murders the high frquencies. :D

Oooh a Scout, very nice. How do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one. :)

22. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Lee you better hurry before some fibers start landing inside that AR open top amp...:)_

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

:D I gotta keep it open, sounds better with heat escaping...

24. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I've had the MC402 for about 10 days now, and I absolutely love it. I had the MC202 before (actually I still have it, I've just moved it to my second system, and moved my MC122 to my third system). I used them to drive my N802's. Now that I've upgraded to N800's I definitely needed the extra power and control that the MC402 provides. With the MC202, the sound was not as well defined and clear, the bass did not have the same impact, definition and texture. All in all it just gives my system much better clarity and definition. Other than that it just has that great McIntosh sound that I love. Very smooth and natural sounding, highly musical, with an almost tube-like warmth. And it's built like a tank and looks really cool.

I really believe that McIntosh amps are one of the great values in audio equipment today. Their stufff is obviously not cheap, but it compares quite favorably with equipment that is significantly more expensive.

25. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

I'd wear a mask if I were you.:eek: Nice gear though. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.