Post photos of your systems/rooms here!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dean De Furia, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

2. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

http://www.resize2mail.com/

4. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I'm wondering the same thing....

Axnyslie... good to see another Columbus person on the forum! :D

5. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

6. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Say WHitese,

What are your rack shelves made out of? And where did you get it? I am looking at building a similar DIY rack and have had trouble locating some nice MDF for the shelves. Any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks,
    Charlie

7. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I bought the MDF at home depot,,,Lowe's also has it....

It may serve you well to veneer it even if in fake veneer,,,kinda ugly (in my eyes) to have that bare MDF....The poor person's Salamander Rack look... :D

8. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Thx man! :righton:

9. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

10. quadjoe

quadjoe Senior Member

Dan,

As a matter of fact, the record on the platter is Carly Simon's "Hotcakes" LP which is a Quadradisc (WEA was in the CD-4 camp). I am using an Audio Technica AT440ML cartridge (its brand new, btw :righton: ), and it works very well: it has a Line Contact stylus and frequency response beyond 32khz which is all that's required to pick up the carrier for the surround channels (CD-4 works like FM radio). I was using a Grado cart, but even though it worked I got a bit of distortion on some discs because the stylus was the wrong shape (they use only elliptical styli). One more thing, if you ever get a chance to listen to the Quadradisc mix of "Nilsson Schmilsson" I highly recommend it.

11. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

12. danstone

danstone Senior Member

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Tom Caselli,

Nice reels...Are you part of the Atlanta Audio Society?

Lee

14. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

15. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I have gone to 1 or 2 atlanta Audio Society meetings, but havent in a couple of years...

16. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm finally getting around to posting some of my pictures ( I figured I should as I started this thread!)

Here's what I call the "Marantz Rack"

Marantz 6300 DD 'table with V15 cart
    Marantz SA-1 SACD player
    Marantz 20 tuner
    Marantz 7 Preamp
    Marantz 8B reissue
    Awai Cassette
    [​IMG]

And Here's 2 pictures of my "Mac rack"

Pioneer RT-909 reel deck
    Sony SCD-777ES
    Mcintosh 7007 cd player
    Mcintosh MC-22 reissue preamp
    Mcintosh MC-240 amp
    Pioneer PDR-99 Cd recorder

[​IMG]

Not seen: Mc-30 pair
    MC-60 pair
    MX-110 tuner/preamp
    VPI-17W record vacuum
    and a bunch of other stuff!

[​IMG]

17. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hey Joe. Welcome.

You may be able to use the quad receiver as a front end and use outboard power amplifiers. An Adcom four-channel amp fits the bill. That way you'll keep the top Vario-Matrix QS decoder and that reportedly also does a good job of creating Quad out of stereo.

Check fellow member Jon's quadraphonicquad.com site, if you haven't yet. There's an old post there about doing the above.

OTOH, there are reports that DPLII decodes QS just right.

For SQ, Tates are quite pricey these days. Look also for a Lafayette SQ-W. Nice unit for much less.

18. boead

boead New Member

19. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

This one is a dream come true. I still believe that a top room must have recreated ambiance but this accomplishment shakes my assurednes a bit.

The room is designed by Rives Audio. Last year I redid the help file for one of Rives Audio's software offerings. They also sell the PARC unit that has gotten top reviews. I had never seen any of their rooms and I'm impressed.

Anyone interested in building or assessing a listening room can request my free Mediaroom spreadsheet. Just send mail to "[email protected]" or "[email protected]". Put "Mediaroom" in the subject line. Includes bibliography.

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow, a top Marantz and a top Sony SACD player in the same house!

Have you ever connected the SA-1 and the SCD-777ES in the same system and done an SACD comparison between the two players? I'd love to hear your impressions of the differences between those two stellar SACD machines.

21. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

The second one doesn't include a phono front end!!!!!!!!

And he has been in the hobby for 30 years.

Whatever happened to his albums???

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I see from the picture that you have the NICE Aiwa cassette deck. What do you think of it?

23. Dean De Furia

It is the Aiwa XK-S9000 cassette. It still amazes me to this day. A true classic that wasn't around too long in the early 90's. I have an "Audio" magazine from back then that proclaims it the "best cassette deck ever made". Dolby B, C and S. I can make tapes with this machine that are so good you have to REALLY listen to tell the difference between the copy and the source. Nice unit!

24. Dean De Furia

Yes, I have compared them and, in a nutshell, I feel the Sony is very clinical while the SA-1 has a touch of warmth to the presentation. If I were only to keep one, I would prefer the Marantz.

25. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks. I have the Audio magazine it was reviewed in as well. I remember it seemed quite impressive to me, but it was a little out of reach at the time. While I don't use my cassette deck too often lately (I have the AD-F810), I'd still like to have one of these.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.