Post photos of your systems/rooms here! Part 6

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gary, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Smith

Mr.Smith Forum Resident

@ filper, like the way you have displayed a couple of albums on the walls

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

2-Channel Reference

Revised photo after adding first reflection point acoustic panels on the ceiling.

Attached Files:

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Looks very nice. I could use a room like that. :)

4. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Very nice. I really like the Halo components.

John K.

5. filper

filper Forum Resident

Thanks. Here's another shot... and my disc racks.

Attached Files:

6. Love it. :righton:

7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Was that barrel ceiling difficult to tame? Or was it even much of a problem to begin with?

Love the big Soliloquy's, btw. They were on my short list before they went kaput.

8. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Looks like we have very similar tastes in music...gotta say I'm lovin' that Heart LP on the wall:love:

9. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

My simple but much loved system.

Comprises of:

Luxman PD350 tt with rewired RB300 arm and Garrott Optim FGS mm cart

Technics SP10MKII tt with rewired Alphason HR100S arm and Accuphase AC-2 mc cart in custom built slate plinth

Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena phono stage

Jungson JA 88D Amp

Lenehan Audio ML1 Plus speakers

Talisman T-35HP headphone amp and AKG k701 cans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

some very serious financial investments going on in this thread!! one of these days......

i wonder, though, am i the only one to cringe when i see so many thousands spent on gear only to have a severely compromised set up?

(i'll post my system photo soon and then i can get the criticism i have just asked for!!)

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:thumbsup:

12. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

Those vaulted ceilings can do some crazy stuff to stereo imaging. Screwed up the sound of the tweeters real bad. :realmad:

13. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I didn't realize until I located the first reflection points and addressed them how badly they DID need to be tamed. I have spent about the last two years getting the "liveliness" of the room under control and thought I had done a fairly good job. But then a friend came to visit for a few days who spent about 25 years in pro audio. With his help, a mirror, ladder and laser pointer we located the reflection points and treated them with some 4" x 6" felt pads (like the ones you put under furniture on a wood floor). Those made such a difference that I had to try the 2' x 2' panels from ATS Acoustics. That was the ticket.

You can find the Soliloquy 6.5's on Audiogon now and then. They are truly an incredible speaker, at least they are with the synergy of this equipment and room. I'm not sure how much money I'd have to spend to better them.

To what compromise in set up are you referring?

I agree, until they were addressed.

14. I was going to ask how you found the reflection points wth precsion but your last post anticipated my question. Good work!

15. Indeed. :righton:

16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a vaulted ceiling like timztunz but I can't worry right now to what it is doing with the music. My main priority with the music right now would be finding great, but inexpensive speaker stands that are smaller than my 30" tall ones I currently use for my Spendor's. They are probably sitting up too high.

It's cool that timztunz was able to find the reflection points and get things to sound better in that room. I would not know how to do that.

Pat

17. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I left out the part about how goofy I must have looked sitting in the sweet spot holding a laser pointer on the end of my nose pointing it up at the ceiling while my friend is on the ladder moving the mirror around until the laser beam hit the tweeter(s). This exercise will also require a couple (aka, few) audiophile grade adult beverages.

18. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

Made some changes over last few month. Upgraded my speaker stands and it surprisingly (to me) changed bass response and imaging for the best. Added USB to Coax converter so I can now use my net-book in the main system and swapped my transport for Primare.

[​IMG]

Overall shot right before the speaker stand swap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Added some new headphones to the mail system, powered via converter boxes by small hybrid amp:

[​IMG]

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

^Love the headphone rigs and the CD player.

20. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Happy Primare user over here (a CDi10 cd-receiver with Sonus Faber Toys on Empire Stands and a decent downfiring subwoofer as the heart and muscle of the system) . happy ever since I fed that upgrade monkey with these items .... LOL ..
    What astonishes me is what you need 3 pair of speakers for in one room without Home Cinema - That is the other thing I love about your system. A very clean dedicated music only room.
    A rare occasion nowadays
    But what's up with all these speakers... ?
    I can' spot that Primare DAC - haven't even seen a Primare standalone yet... DAC tbh.. so where is it ?
    Thumbs up anyway!

21. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

Just playing with different speakers and amps to see which way I want to go. Different flavors for different music at the time. I plan on consolidating to a pair monitors and floor-standers. One for late night jazz and other quite stuff, the other for rocking out and classical. Yeah I need help...:help: But wife seems supportive of my madness :love:

Use use primare CDP as transport feeding my tube DAC (the one with wooden faceplate on top of the CDP).

Plasma TV is in the bedroom as this is where wife wanted it for late night film viewing, about the only type of TV viewing we do.

22. motorcitydave

How does your Onkyo turntable sound? Good, huh? :cool:

23. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

Not bad at all and operation is so nice and smooth, fully automatic with searching and all that stuff. I don't have that much vinyl so I never wanted to upgrade to some of the "big $" TTs since Onkyo with Grado Z2+ cart sounds very nice to my ears; especially with my old rock LPs.

I tried it with different cheap phone-stages, but phono state in my Symphonic line pre turned out to be very good so that is how I am running it now. I might upgrade, but not sure what I can get for cheap that will sound much better.

24. motorcitydave

Cool. Oh yeah, I can't see how a cheap phono stage would beat the Symphonic Line! Symphonic Line is very good stuff, as you know.

25. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Cooooooooooool !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.