Post photos of your systems/rooms here! (Part 15)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Jasonbraswell

Jasonbraswell Vinylphile

I hear that! I need things closer to my eyes as I get older too.

Audiofreak45 and jonwoody like this.
  2. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Its bigger & thicker and gives the speakers a place to sit, thanks

Clonesteak and jonwoody like this.
  3. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

Not many around that know the name.

Clonesteak and jonwoody like this.
  4. Valentino

Valentino Well-Known Member

My own speaker system is heavily inspired by Linkwitz’ dipole research and the research done by Rudolf Finke who threw the baffle away all together.

jonwoody and mkane77g like this.
  5. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

^^we’ve been OB users for quite a number of years. Very immersive to say the least.

Valentino and jonwoody like this.
  6. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

When I first got interested in audio in the mid-90s I'd of course take every review I read as gospel! :p I was entranced by a review of the Linkwitz Beethoven's in I think TAS but never came across a pair nor could I afford them or the amps to run them. ;)

Glmoneydawg and mkane77g like this.
  7. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I am sure it helps with sound absorption.

jonwoody and mkane77g like this.
  8. mkane77g

mkane77g Happy Camper

This day and age running them is or should I say can be budget friendly.

We have a couple of Pass Labs amps but oh the heat and expense to make them go.

We are currently using 4 Class d amps and it seems to work quite well. The magic is in the crossover network.

Valentino and jonwoody like this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Still think it's beech wood, birch looks much paler and with lesser contrast than yours. We had a beech countertop in our previous kitchen and it looked exactly like your rack. Ikea also sells beech countertops (or at least they used to).

jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  10. Christian Maiwald

Christian Maiwald Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After lurking and looking at so many beautiful systems here's my quaint setup:
    • Willsenton R800i 805 with a multicontinental selection of tubes
    • Marantz SA-KI Ruby CD-Player and DAC
    • Wiim Mini for the occasional stream (through the Ruby)
    • Technics SH-8020 Equalizer (not in use 99% of the time)
    • Klipsch Cornwall IVs (toed in today, usually they face straight into the room, both has its advantages. they are standing on boards with wheels)
    • SVS PB-1000 Pro
    The wall is used for projection, the stereo handles home cinema duties nicely (for me at least).

james, rischa, Bob_in_OKC and 45 others like this.
  11. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Very nice! You and I have a lot of similar things going on - component types and brands, multi-use room with a projector, glass bottles in close proximity... I’ve always eyed those Ruby models. I’m sure it’s a great match with your amp and speakers.

I went with a sealed version of an SVS sub, but given that the CWs are ported, I have wondered if I should have gone the ported direction. How do you feel it integrates with your speakers?

Is the small white box on the floor a lamp?

12. Christian Maiwald

Yes, the Ruby is great. To be honest the entrance model Rotel I had before came close, the Ruby just has the extra sparkle. And the built-in DAC which makes the best of the Wiim.

I haf both the SVS and the Rel model in the same price category here to compare. To me the Rel was playing more gentlemanly, smoothly. I would‘ve kept it if it wasn‘t struggling to get noticed. I‘m not listening loud mostly, but even at regular volume I had to turn it up to max. The SVS has no problem with that. And after some adjusting (volume, crossover, eq) it integrated nicely. So much that I even forget to seal the ports (it comes with foam plugs), just to try it out.

That box on the floor is a lamp, yes. It‘s just hanging out there.

jonwoody, mreeter and Harris11235 like this.
  13. Harris11235

I had the same issue with my pair of REL T7i subs and my Cornwalls. I think it might be due to the sensitivity of the Cornwalls. They need such little current from the amp that the REL isn’t able to make enough use of it, even when it’s cranked up. I’m not certain that was the issue, but it makes sense to me.

jonwoody likes this.
  14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Beautiful system! Also, gotta say, I'm loving that beautiful wood floor. Vintage?

dan c

Christian Maiwald and jonwoody like this.
  15. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Someone else here on the forum talked to Rel (he had Klipsch too I believe), and they advised him against using their T series (like you said, because of the high efficiency of the speakers)...

Harris11235, jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  16. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

hey how did you have your RELs connected? I think we chatted about this before, where mine just come off the terminals of my Forte IV's (KLH's back in the day)... i think we joked about the value of the Speakon cable length I cut off!

I've never noticed weirdness about volume tho. I only have mine turned up a little. Hardly needs much.

I will say tho, with some music I can barely hear the subs. Other music that's been mixed with more bass, I need to adjust it down.

So, um, maybe that's weirdness?

Harris11235 and jonwoody like this.
  17. BiTon

BiTon Forum Resident

May I say, if I need a subwoofer than I acknowledged the weakness of my speakers or I am not satisfied with my speakers?

jonwoody likes this.
  18. jonwoody

Fantastic system Christian and very tidy as well I love the tube/CW combo! And nice bottle collection too. ;)

Christian Maiwald likes this.
  19. kellys

kellys Forum Resident

I also like what I hear from my NAIM Harbeth system.

steveharris and jonwoody like this.
  20. jonwoody

Well let's see it kellys and you too @steveharris this is after all a pictures of my system thread. ;)

macster and Glmoneydawg like this.
  21. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I posted some random impulsive things.I just thought other people had some really nice layouts.I was getting some inspiration to rearrange a room.I’m really happy.I was just playing some records with a big smile.
    I moved things around into a crowded listening space when I got a new kitten.She was hellbent on scratching and chewing on everything,not to mention knocking over anything she could including heavy based lamps by running full speed and jumping into a tackle.That was probably like nine months ago.I think my hi fi is no longer in danger LOL!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  22. Harris11235

Ah interesting. I love it when I guess right!

Mine were connected to the binding posts on the amp. I suppose you would have had to go from the speaker terminals with your setup, though.

I have the RELs set up in my second system now, paired with the CMIII and the stand mount of the day. Bass for days, no problems at all.

Come to think of it, I don’t remember having that problem with the Fortes. Maybe the difference in sensitivity between the two is just enough to cause a problem.

And yeah, those cables are expensive to replace!!

jonwoody likes this.
  23. Harris11235

Yeah, of course. You may say other things too if you’re so inclined!

24. Christian Maiwald

Vintage from five years ago. :) I love hardwood floor, it looks great, gives a warm athmisphere and ages so nicely.

I‘m not upset about the Cornwalls having weaknesses. They are great and if a sub adds to that (it makes them shine even more) - fine. And I‘m curious which speaker in that price range can effortlessly reproduce the low notes of a church organ, contrabass clarinet or the Grey Code Remix of Goldie’s „Kemistry“ like this combination. I listen to all of this.

25. BiTon

BiTon Forum Resident

Why do you think that I am inclined? I have no feeling about subwoofers at all. Just saying, buying a subwoofer means that your present speakers need a help because they can't present you more complete picture. Simple as that.

Thymallus and jonwoody like this.