Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson Top 15 Studio Albums Countdown (please no predictions/speculation)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Co-Stanza, Apr 13, 2024.

1. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright, time for something a bit different this time around!

In this one, we will rank our top 15 studio albums by Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson. Studio albums only, of which there are 18 total, so the tough part for us will be figuring out the order and which three to leave off! Obviously, one will have to be a fan of both to participate, as you cannot participate unless you rank 15 albums.

Anyone who wants to enter a list, send it to me via private conversation (do not post it in this thread, please). Any list posted in thread/not sent to me via private conversation will not be used.

Four weeks still feels about right for the submissions period, as that will give time to anyone wanting to revisit any or all albums, so the cutoff date to send one is the end of the day Saturday, May 11th. Once I have received every list and entered them into a spreadsheet, I will add up the total and come up with the top 15 and then count them down from 15 to 1. I haven't decided on a pace yet, but I suspect one album a day will be the goal, as that will give each featured album its day to be discussed. I may end up just counting down all 18 depending on how it looks, or I might just do the top 15. Either way, each person participating needs to rank just 15 in order.

As always, my request, once we get the countdown going, is that we do not make guesses, predictions or speculate. Please be courteous and let the countdown play out. If you cannot handle this, then this thread is not for you, and I will kindly ask that you take it elsewhere and not ruin the fun for those who can play by the rules (which has been most in these threads so far, happily). :)

Prior countdowns I have run:

Styx: Styx Top 40 countdown thread!!
    Blue Oyster Cult: Blue Oyster Cult Top 40 countdown thread!!
    Rush: Rush Top 40 countdown thread!!
    R.E.M.: R.E.M. Top 40 countdown thread!
    Genesis: Genesis Top 40 countdown!! (please do not list spoilers/predictions)
    U2: U2 Top 40 countdown!! (please do not list spoilers/predictions)
    Queen: Queen Top 40 countdown!! (please do not list spoilers/predictions)
    Yes (still ongoing): Yes Top 40 countdown!! (please do not list spoilers/predictions)

The rules:

-Albums must be listed from 15 to 1 in order and NUMBERED, with no ties. No having two albums tied for number 1 or anything like that. Please do not list your albums with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end). Any list submitted with the albums not numbered or with discrepancies in the list will be considered invalid and not used.

-Your list must have 15 albums. No more, no less.

-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever album is at number 1 gets 15 points, number 2 gets 14 points, number 3 gets 13 points, etc.

-No EPs, bonus discs, etc.

-Please proofread your list before sending it. Any list with the same album listed twice, too many albums, not enough albums, etc. will not be used.

-Please do not send the list until you are 100% with it, as I will be entering these on the fly, and if you send a list and then want to change it three days later for example, that creates double work for me since I'd have to remove your entire original list and enter the new one. Let's try to keep it easy for me.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet. I will @ many who have done the previous countdowns, but feel free to @ any Porcupine Tree and Steve Wilson fans you think might be interested, that way they see the thread. (apologies if I forget anyone, as I am sure I will). The @'ing did't seem to work really in the last thread, as many didn't see it, so I will add people along the way hoping that it works better than doing it all at once.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the albums, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list. The albums must be listed in your top 15 as listed below.

Ranking Engine

When you get to the ranking engine site, click on "music" (on the left in big letters), copy and paste all the albums (or just the ones you want to rank to get to a top 15) in the text on the left where it says "Enter Items Here" and hit "add." Then click "rank" near the top and you can then begin. You do not have to sign up at the site or enter any email address or phone number to use it. It is free to use.

Albums are listed below.

On the Sunday of Life (Porcupine Tree)
    Up the Downstair (Porcupine Tree)
    The Sky Moves Sideways (Porcupine Tree)
    Signify (Porcupine Tree)
    Stupid Dream (Porcupine Tree)
    Lightbulb Sun (Porcupine Tree)
    In Absentia (Porcupine Tree)
    Deadwing (Porcupine Tree)
    Fear of a Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree)
    The Incident (Porcupine Tree)
    Closure/Continuation (Porcupine Tree)
    Insurgentes (Steven Wilson)
    Grace for Drowning (Steven Wilson)
    The Raven That Refused to Sing (Steven Wilson)
    Hand. Cannot. Erase. (Steven Wilson)
    To the Bone (Steven Wilson)
    The Future Bites (Steven Wilson)
    The Harmony Codex (Steven Wilson)

2. George Co-Stanza

3. George Co-Stanza

4. George Co-Stanza

5. George Co-Stanza

6. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Okay, I’m in! (I still didn’t get notified of your @, mind you…?)

7. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Any thoughts about including the Blackfield albums?

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

That's weird. I still can't figure out why that is.

Nah, we are going with just the 18 PT and SW solo albums here.

PH416156 likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Same here. I feel snubbed! ;)

10. cosmiclawnmower

cosmiclawnmower Forum Resident

I should be able to swing this one.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I'd love to participate, but I only have 11 SW and PT albums

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Cutoff date to send the list is May 11th. You have one month to purchase the rest. And listen to them, of course.

13. mark winstanley

Lol time and money would still be a problem

PH416156 and JulesRules like this.
  14. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Someone’s got to ask so it may as well be me :D

Why did you not want to do songs this time around?

15. MJC1986

MJC1986 Well-Known Member

Nice one. Pretty sure I've already got my list, as this is a discography I'm very familiar with, but will have a listen before sending.

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

4 1/2 is long enough that I always think it should count as an album not an EP...

17. mark winstanley

It's an album in my world

mando_dan, ds58, JulesRules and 2 others like this.
  18. mark winstanley

That'd be 12 lol

Miles1968 likes this.
  19. JD33

JD33 Forum Resident

I never even heard of Porcupine Tree before joining the forums, but having seen them mentioned so much has me interested to give them a listen. So I won't be able to participate, but will hopefully find a good place to start exploring their catalog.

Jimmy Jam, jeffd7030, Sordel and 4 others like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

An underrated album at that. Count me a fan.

Playloud and mark winstanley like this.
  21. mark winstanley

37 minutes, basically 20 mins per side in old school terms, plus my 5.1 album has the bonus track Lazarus

rochacrimson and lucan_g like this.
  22. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Enjoy the journey! A top ten band for me.

23. George Co-Stanza

Just looking for something a little different and little less taxing for me this time around. This should still be lots of fun, as we can tackle all the songs from the featured albums at the right times. :)

It's not a studio album, therefore not eligible.

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

4 1/2 was all recorded in a studio.

JulesRules likes this.
  25. Since Steven's best work is in No-Man, I'm going off the board with my list. Just as ravens might refuse to sing, I refuse to consider a Steven Wilson list that does not contain No-Man.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    CHALKERS, MrCJF and peymei4ever like this.