Plain Records will release and no doubt ruin vinyl reissue Spiritualized

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by karmapolice, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

I think it sounds better than the CD...

2. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Once again, wouldn't it depend on whether your cd player or turntable was better? I simply do not understand these so-called comparisons between the cd and the lp. If I had a $30k cd player it would sound a lot better than my $2k turntable, etc. - very few people have comparable digital and analog to make such a comparison.

3. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think a person who had a far less good tt or cd player would acknowledge the uneven playing field for the comparison

4. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

People seem to think they can compare quite often on this website. I do not even begin to understand how they do this comparison since they are completely different formats and most people do not have the equivalent backbone of a system to compare even remotely similar units. Cd players have timing that is usually not replicated in a turntable and turntables have tonal qualities that are generally not in cd players. I don't necessarily believe that it cannot be done, but there are very few people on the site that could even come close to having a reasonable comparison. When someone says that they like the lp better than the cd, they are generally just saying they like their turntable. Cd's sound really good on a good player, but very few have these type of cd players.

5. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you are making this too complicated. assuming you like your cd player and your tt player, a subjective belief one particular pressing sounds better than the regular cd has value albeit a mere judgment and not a science

most people can tell whether a vinyl pressing is quiet and sounds dynamic and can compare to cd

6. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

I'm interested in impressions of the LP as compared to the CD as well. The packaging looks incredible.

7. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I only knew the 4 Men lot were not European because of the import prices. Here in the UK a European import LP is generally not much more than a UK one, but the 4 Men stuff is well over the equivalent of $40 for a single LP in my experience.

8. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

Interestingly the vinyl says manufactured by Sony for Plain. Suggesting it was not done by Plain themselves.

Haven't compared but nothing amazing sonically but neither are there defects like the original vinyl. Packaging nothing special either. Deluxe my a**!

9. surfingelectrode

surfingelectrode Active Member

What were you expecting? Do you want the LPs to be in blister packs or something?

10. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

Anybody else pick this up on vinyl? I have listened to side one and it sounds ok so far. Flat quiet vinyl.

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Yeah, I got it a couple of weeks ago and while it is flat & quiet it also sounds just like a CD pressed to vinyl, bland and lifeless.

12. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

Finally got my hands on this, at least Plain didn't botch (presumably) transferring the CD to vinyl like they have before. I'm happy to have it just because it's one of my all-time favorites and I've invested a lot more in vinyl playback than digital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.