Pioneer 563A sacd/dvda player, I"ve made the jump!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Geoman076, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'd grab this in a second if I didn't already have a single-disc SACD/DVD player. Quite frankly, I'm not even interested in the DVD-A features at this time (though I wouldn't kick it out of bed). But, like Rudy, I need a changer of some sort. Sony just came out with one, but it's a bit pricier ($200-250).

2. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

This is what I have been doing. In the morning, I'll throw on a disc and just let it play with no volume. If I'm working at home (which I usually am) then I'll swap discs every few hours or so. In the evenings, I shut it off until the next morning. Of course, I also occasionally listen to it while it's playing. ;)

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Mike V-

No, I am Not on commission. I work in Telcommunications.

I just want to share info on a great, inexpensive player with my friends here on SH. I cant believe anyone could have a problem with that.

4. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I think he was joking, mikey :)

5. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Um, yeah, I was thanking you for pushing this player so hard... The more people turned on to hi-res & MC, the better. :)

6. RetroSmith

Ok, understood.

7. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Good thing you guys aren't drug dealers--I'd be in jail already (with you).:D

Last week I went out and bought this unit so I could hear my Chicago DVD-A's in their best-sounding state. After a week of intermittent listening (it's been a busy week, Beatle Peatle) and no real concerted burn-in, I can still say that the player sounds very good indeed on DVD-A. (I haven't thrown any SACD at it yet.) I also think it sounds good for redbook, though I think my Sony 775 beats it there.

So I agree, a great buy and a serious overachiever.

Now I have two questions about some weirdnesses I've noticed. The player works virtually without flaw with two exceptions so far. One is that I get a loud motorboat (or "stuck digital") sound occasionally when I do a lot of pause-frame advance-slow motion-pause sort of disc play. The sound occurs when I try to come out of pause into play again. Brrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaa. Anyone else noticed this behavior? It's not frequent enough for me to be really worried, unless this is a sign of Bad Things To Come with this particular sample.

The second issue seems to be a disc defect, but I wanted to ask here to be sure. When I play the DVD-A Mch mix of "Goodbye" from Chicago V, something very strange happens: after about 30 seconds or so into the song, the playback glitches for a second, then the volume level suddenly jumps up about 50%. Sometimes the player just stops. Sometimes I can scan back and it'll play normally again for a minute or so, then jumps back up in level and starts stuttering. So far as I can tell, this problem occurs only with this disc, which would usually indicate a disc, but I want to be sure that I haven't gotten a marginal instance of this player.

Well, O Wise Ones?

8. RetroSmith

Sounds to ME like your disk is defective.

9. Audio72

Audio72 Senior Member

Just got mine for $140.00 at local Best Buy.

10. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Well, because of you guys, I broke down & purchased a DV-563a. Am awaiting delivery. I currently own 4 SACD's (Zombies & three Dylans) and 1 DVD-A (Chicago II).

Does the Stones 40 Licks have an SACD layer? It says nothing of the sort on the packaging.

-BZync

11. samuelowens

samuelowens New Member

40 Licks doesn't have a SACD layer.

Only the ABKCO releases have an SACD layer.

12. Gardo

I listened a good deal to my Pioneer 563a this weekend, and I still like it, though it really can't compete with my Sony 775 for SACD or redbook. The Pioneer sounds good, but not excellent, next to the Sony; it doesn't have the detail or the depth or the sense of heft in the lower registers that the Sony does. SACD stereo sounds better than redbook on the Pioneer, but not nearly so sweet and involving as it does on the Sony. Redbook on the Pioneer sounds veiled and two-dimensional compared to the Sony.

DVD-Audio continues to sound very nice on the Pioneer, though I don't have anything to compare it to. I have noticed a little "snick" sound in the surrounds in between tracks on some DVD-A's. Anyone else noticed this?

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Thanks for the mini review re: 775 vs. 563A, Gardo. I was wondering about that....

I think I will stick with the 775! :)

14. GoldenBoy

I think for DVD-A, this is an excellent machine. I have been breaking it in with at least 8 and sometimes 12 hours of play every day for nearly two weeks now and it sounds good to me. SACD playback still is not on the level of my Sony C555ES. It does not have the solidity in the mid-range and smoothness of sound that the Sony has; on SACD's, it tends towards the bright, thin sound I think, though only slightly. The detail and clarity are about the same as the Sony. It sounds very good. I would not hesitate to recommend this unit to someone who does not already have a decent SACD player. For DVD-A, I would say go forth and worry no longer. The more I listen to the 563a, the more I like it. I no longer entertain any thoughts about picking up a DV45A. I have the 563a for DVD-A, DVD-V and DAD playback (as well as .mp3's) and the C555ES for CD and SACD playback. All is well here in 'Golden' land. :)

15. RetroSmith

Hey Golden Boy.

Thanks for that review!!

I'm hearing there is a mod availble for the 563-A, the only trouble is, I dont know what the mod does!!

I'm really enjoying mine.

Mikey

16. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

What DAD's if any, did you play?

I'm thinking about a couple of the Classic DAD discs.

Thanks

Joe

P.S. I am one of those who didn't have a SACD or DVD-A player. I'm really happy with the 563A!

17. GoldenBoy

I have only 3 DAD's and they are all from Classic. I have the following:

John Coltrane- Blue Train

Nanci Griffith - The Last of the True Believers

Sarah McLachlan - Touch

They all sound very good, but the Coltrane is the better sounding of the bunch; it may even surpass the SACD in sound quality. I am thinking of picking up the Classic DAD of Muddy Waters' Folk Singer. I also have that one on SACD, so I would like to compare. I have heard some say that the DAD sounds nicer than the SACD.

As I said previously in this thread, when playing back DAD's on the 563a I prefer to use the digital outs to my Sony DA4ES receiver as the DAC's on the receiver definitely sound better, but the 563a still sounds very respectable playing back DADs through its analogue out using the built in DAC's.

18. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

I have "The Ultimate Blue Train" which from what I've read here, is pretty bad. But I really didn't need to read it, I've heard it. When I first bought the disc, I though it was mono (not that I don't like mono, but they really narrowed down the stereo on that one).

I have the Classic mono LP of "Blue Train". I think I'll get the stereo DAD and dump "The Ultimate Blue Train", then I'm good for that title.

Thanks

Joe

19. weremichael

weremichael New Member

This thread has been the most informative (via comparison with other players through a variety of media) and the most consistently on subject thread about the 563 in any of the "major" audio/video forums. I am glad I stumbled across Steve's forum group. Thanks for helping me feed my habit.

Enough of the complements, my 563 should arrive tomorrow or Thurs and I was wondering if I can set the cd playback to output digitally (coaxial) while using an analog connection for sacd and dvda. I assume this is possible but does this interfere with hybrid sacd. The reason I ask is because I believe the dac in my receiver (Integra DTR5) could be superior to the 563. I will only know by listening though.

Mikey, what is up with this mod you are talking about? Does it make the player region free?

Michael

20. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Does anyone know if the 563a has a built in PAL to NTSC converter?

21. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Yes, you can use the digital output for cd and still end up hearing the SACD layer when you put in an SACD. Just set up the player so it defaults to either the stereo or multichannel SACD section when it sees a hybrid disc. CD's, obviously not having an SACD layer, will play as normal.

22. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Hi Michael,

Welcome aboard!

All the best,

Gary :)

23. Gardo

Welcome, Michael.

It is true that the 563A will output a digital signal at the same time it outputs analog. Interestingly, though, the manual suggests that one turn off the digital output (done through the setup menus) to get even better analog performance. I haven't tried this yet myself, though I imagine one would get slightly better performance this way.

I use the optical connection, but I'd imagine the coax connection (if there is one--I don't remember) would work the same way.

P.S. As Steve H. would say, don't forget to fill out your profile!

24. Gardo

I don't believe it does--I don't remember seeing anything about this in the owner's manual, and it's pretty thorough.

25. GoldenBoy

The SACD of Blue Train is also very narrowed down. It is also dull sounding in comparison with the DAD, although it is a bit 'punchier'. I own three copies of this title: the Mobile Fidelity UD1 gold disc, the SACD and the DAD and I can safely say that the DAD is the one to have, on a digital medium at least. I can't comment on any vinyl versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.