Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Mc, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Ok, I'm all ready for the WYWH SACD. Got all my new equipment and speakers.

Let's go! :D

2. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I just bought a new one off Ebay. $10.00 shipped. Sounds Golden! Plain Jane wrapper. :)

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I compared the original two-track Japanese pressing to the later five-track U.S. pressing and "murky" is how I would describe the U.S. pressing. The Japanese pressing has a "rightness" to it that I find lacking on the U.S. pressing. It sounds to me like the U.S. pressing was made from a poor, high-generation copy of the master tapes.

4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No one has commented yet on the only version I own: the UK Harvest cd. Silverface. Anyone???

5. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Me too (and the same goes for the Wall and DSOTM) how do they compare ?

6. I don't see how we can all be amazed at the price that WYWH 35DP-4 went for. It's been discussed at length at being the best sounding pressing of this title. And then there is the US version with the same mastering that it seems everyone in this forum is after. And then a link to the Ebay auction here in the forum. It's all a recipe for a $307.00 closing price.

7. KeithH

It does seem that discussions here have had an impact on eBay. I certainly cannot prove a direct correlation, but there seems to be a connection.

8. I think that discussions in this forum have had a GREAT impact on the prices of target CDs. I remember when I joined the forum in August of last year, an average price of a target CD was around $10-$15. Once in a great while we'd see one go for $20. It was the same on Ebay, there were plenty of targets with BIN for less than $15. Now I see targets that as recent as late last year would've been listed with BIN for $14.99, being listed for $29.99 minimum. And targets that go the full length on auction are getting to the point of ridiculous. I feel this forum is largely responsible for the inflated prices. Simple economics, greater demand equal greater price.

9. KeithH

I agree. A lot of active members here have been drawn to target CDs and other first pressings in the past year, but I am quite certain that there are a number of lurkers out there who have been soaking up the knowledge. :)

Do you ever get the feeling that you are being...watched? :crazy:

10. Hell yeah!!!! :uhhuh:

11. Evan

Evan Senior Member

All the time! And I can't seem to find my pants :D

12. I was FINALLY able to listen to the 2 track "Wish You Were Here" today. Folks, as much as I didn't want to believe it, and believe me, I REALLY didn't want to believe it, this thing sounds beautiful, gorgeous, warm, soft, smooth, delicious, scrumptious and every other expression you could think of.

If Steve feels the Mastersound version is the best to his ears, then this is the first time I've had to go against his good judgment (feels kind of weird). I wish I could say there wasn't enough of a difference when compared to the other versions, but I would be lying to you if I did. Unfortunately for those of you who haven't heard this 2 track version, your search continues.

I think this is even sweeter than when I first heard my black triangle non TO "DSOTM".

13. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

:realmad:

14. GP

GP Senior Member

Yeah, I'm very curious about the 2-track, but not curious enough to spend $300 for it, like the last Ebay sale. :help:

The Mastersound gold is nothing to brag about, IMO.

15. Uzmati

Uzmati New Member

personally, I still think the quad mix is the best, but that's just me.

16. KeithH

:agree:

17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

I probably paid to much but I wanted it so I didn't mess around. It sounds great to me. I usually justify paying for Cd's by remembering all the times I went into a bar and dropped $100.00 and nothing but a hang over to show for it...lol.
    From reading all these posts....................... I'm happy with my purchase. :)

18. skythemusic

skythemusic New Member

my original japanese vinyl isn't that great. This is just one of their weakest sounding recordings.

19. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

:wtf:

20. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

:confused: I have an early UK LP with the black wrapper, and it's one of the best-sounding LPs I own.

21. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

It's may favorite too. I used to work part-time at a Blockbuster Music store just for the discount and bought this cd just for the hell of it. I let the manager of my local audio shop borrow it for a week and because of that I sold 7 more copies to reps of his. :D The same thing with SRV's Couldn't Stand The Weather too.

22. :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.