Pink Floyd's Oh By the Way - box question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sytze, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It sure looks like it was on the product details page, as captured by this alert forum member, in this post.

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Yes it was, I am tempted to send them another mail with a link to that image but I'm afraid they would say it was photoshopped by me...

3. mrjinks

When coupled with your confirmation order showing the price at that amount, I'd think/hope it would be fairly persuasive.

4. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

So you are mad because Amazon "screwed" you first?

The way I look at it, everyone ordering should know they are capitolizing on a mistake with their order, let's be real.
    If people got their order fine, whatever. If people didn't, that's the way it goes. Yeah I would be mad too but would always keep thinking in the back of my head that I never really deserved it anyways. This regardless of the circumstances of other people. Also regardless of whether a company can afford the losses on their product.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Well, you're fairly persuasive:)

Ok, I'll follow your advice and send them one more email..doubt that they'll reply but let's try!

6. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

..............textbook definion of.........

GREED

Hint....((( You are the one trying to screw them, they are simply remedying their mistake and you feel they dont have the right to do that..but they do, legally and morally.))

Why do you feel you can capitalize on their mistake? See above ..............

7. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

actually they didn't screw me, my order went through.

my point was that they made a mistake and should respect their customers enough to honor their orders.

i own a picture frame shop and i have to do stuff like this all the time. people change their minds about their framing choices and 99% of the time i re-do the order for them at no cost, or at my actual cost if it's a complete reframe. what i gain by doing this is a very loyal clientele that come back over and over. my customers feel respected and don't feel ripped off, unlike all of the loyal Amazon customers that just got stiffed on their confirmed orders.

bob

8. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Bob, being serious, it comes down to being moral, and being rational. You realize its a mistake but still say you want to take advantage of it, that shows a lack of understanding and character. If everyone took advantage of others mistakes and shortcomings how would the world be? It has nothign to do with their size in sale or how much profit they make, but it has to do with you and why you believe you are ENTITLED TO SOMETHING.
    So you are saying you want to screw them over for what reason?? Im seriously lost as a moral honest person would see the error and mistake in pricing and would not try to take advantage of a mistake.

A better person would overcome their greed and lower emotions and be rational and take the higher road on this issue.:righton:

9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

So basically you screwed them.....thats the american way:shake:

10. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

the whole reason for any corporation to even exist is GREED. the only reason they're selling anything is to make money. Amazon is not a non-profit selling brownies for the local church, they're a massive corporation that's trying to apply the Wal-Mart business model to the internet, discount and destroy the little guy before he can come up for air. why should i feel guilty that i insist they honor their mistake?

bob

bob

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Hey sorry I came down hard on you, but ive had to deal with things like this in retail that I did a lot, and the only ones that made a stink about getting something like this were basically people of uh less than stellar character. Once mistakes were found, we would explain and show the legal disclaimer and the vast majority would REALIZE they were trying to just get something and give in and apologize. Only a few uh :eek:types would make a big deal about it and start swearing and acting tough and make fools out of themselves......................:confused:

12. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

A friendly suggestion to Kevintomb and Bob338. Why don't you guys continue your moral pontification discussion privately by PM'ing and let the rest of us use this thread to further the cause of rectifying this situation one way or the other.

No offense intended to either of you since I can see both sides of the argument.

13. mrjinks

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Thanks for showing us lowlifes the error of our ways. It's all clear now...

14. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

Deep cleansing breath everyone :cool:

15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah, I agree and intend to stay out of it too, especially since I didn't even order a set.

16. Nice response Bob. I posted myself about running a small business (Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine) & having the ethics to honor my agreements with my patients. If I make an error, I take responsibility for that & act with respect towards my patients by not reneging on what I offered, or accounted. I also give away a whole lot of services to low income folks, & to folks who have brought me lots of business & their friends & relatives. That is good karma & good business. What Amazon is doing here is what I would call both greedy & petty. They've made huge profits off of their customers (this is well documented) & they are not willing to accept responsibility for their actions. On top of this they are sending out various communications where they consistently contradict themselves- "you ordered three box sets & we'll send you one", followed by "no instead we'll send you one, but not the other" and this happens as they are honoring the purchases of other customers & lying to the customers whose purchases aren't honored that they are treating everyone the same. That sounds like both bad business practices & bad karma to me.
    I don't think there is a whole lot of "greed" going on here from the customers end personally. I think it's absolutely reasonable for a person to expect a company to honor an agreement, when it's while within their power to do so, and in this case it most certainly is. This a hardly an error that will bankrupt a mom & pop store & if it was I doubt that many, if any, person hear would be out to only gain for themselves at another's expense. Stores hold sales where they take losses on items all the time, to keep customers coming back & watching their items. It is a well known practice & it generates more business profits than it costs them...a common term for this is "loss leaders". Amazon is not acting consistently, nor are they being honest in their communications with customers. That they have made an error, on some level, seems probable (though how & why there were so many other box sets on sale, & why most everything but some, not all, of the Pink Floyd orders are honored remains an mystery of inconsistency).
    How they have handled this, or mishandled it if you prefer, says a lot about a company that I will most likely choose to do very little to no business with if they continue with this behavior. If they recognize their inconsistency & correct there lying then I many decide otherwise.

17. Bob IMHO you are right on the mark about this one as well!!
    To everyone else dealing with this I'd suggest emailing Amazon & asking them for whatever form it is that they sent to Billy Budapest. Obviously they have some protocol for dealing with this & they've extended this possibility to some folks...but not others in a random, arbitrary & unjust manner.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

???

19. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

Maybe without identifying Billy in any way? We want him to get his order.

20. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Not gonna argue it as the thread was closed and reopened....I got a bit too uh vocal on my view. So sorry if I embarrassed or upset anyone:righton:

Just was trying to get others to see the view that ive had of actually being the retailer.

In the end there is always a desision by anyone in any situation about which decision is the more Right and Correct thing to do. Perhaps Karma factors in on my choices........:angel::D

21. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

What would Mr. Cleaver (( Leave it to beaver )) do in this situation? And WHY would he do what he did?

I think that sums it up quite easily without ruffling any feathers or making anyone feel guilty.:angel:

22. mayoski

mayoski Forum Resident

I'm all for karma (the good kind).

With regard to some people receiving the box and some not - I do not see a conspiracy. I just see individuals doing individual things. My wife worked in Customer Service for many years and she says this type of thing happens all of the time. In the absence of a corporate directive, each CS rep will respond within the limits of their autonomy (the same goes for their supervisors).

As far as the reduction of the box to one per order - that was a system-wide action - indicating (at least to me) that at that time they were intending to honor the lower price.

Having said all of that and without casting any doubt on forum members who say that they have received the box at the lower price, I can't do anything more to rectify my own situation (I ordered 1 and it was canceled with no notification) until I see some kind of proof that a transaction was actually completed at the lower price.

23. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

you're assuming that everyone here has the same moral convictions as Mr. Cleaver. i can assure you that i do not.

bob

24. When I ordered the box set, I thought this was a sale price. I have purchased box sets at ridiculously low prices from Amazon in the past, and I didn't have any reason to believe this price was anything different. I did not believe this was a mistake on Amazon's behalf. In fact, I have not received any notification from Amazon that the price was a mistake (although, as posted in this thread, other people have).

25. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

Something like this happened to me a few years ago with a $100 MSRP book listed at $20.

I ordered it and a few other items, enough to get free shipping. Later I was informed by Amazon that my $20 book was a pricing error and that it would be removed from my order. That put me under the mark for free shipping, so I just asked to cancel the entire order. They said it was too late for me to cancel the rest of the order!

I told them if they can cancel the mispriced item, they can cancel the entire order. Long story short, I said if they shipped me anything, I would consider it a gift and would appeal to my credit card company if I had to. I did get shipped a couple of things but was never charged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.