Pink Floyd's Oh By the Way - box question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sytze, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

So, after my unsuccessful 2009 attempt to get a copy of "Oh by the way" from Amazon.com for pennies, I bought a copy from thehut.com.
    It arrived in perfect conditions but with the usual flaws (Ummagumma:reversed labels. The Wall: missing inner sleeve for CD 2). I tried to ask for a replacement to thehut.com customer service but their best way to solve the problem was to send the box back to them "to see what the problem is. We can send you a replacement". Ouch. I just asked for a missing inner sleeve. So after reading this post

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=4931704&postcount=274

I emailed [email protected] since I could not figure out how to contact EMI customer service. Not that I was expecting anything since the box is now out of print and Pink Floyd's site is all about the new remasters.
    No reply to my email, but today I received a small envelope showing the dear old EMI logo. Wow; I got the inner sleeve. So, someone still cares.
    That was great customer service. And of course a big thank you to all the posters giving advices regarding this problem.

:cheers:

Marc Marlowe likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Glad that post helped you out! Cool that they're still "manning the phones" for that issue, so to speak.

4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member Thread Starter

Great to hear you received the missing inner sleeve. My copy was only missing the Animals lyric inner, and a while after I bought the box someone offered a secondhand copy of the Animals disc for a small amount, so I bought that too and ended up with a complete box. Even with the remasters in sight, I'm still happy with Oh By The Way, although I may change my mind when I take a look at the Discovery set when it comes out...

5. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind having this box but with all of the issues in the real box and the number of counterfeits I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.

I see a lot of cheap ones on Ebay but most of the sellers don't respond when asked if they are fakes so that answers that question.

6. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I agree, when the seller doesn't answer something is hiding.

7. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

No problems with my set, since I had never bought any PF cd's previously, this was the way to go for me.

8. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, about how long did it take for you to receive the sleeve after you emailed them. Not only is my Wall inner sleeve wrong, but my Dark Side of the Moon CD is in a 2nd Meddle cover. I've emailed the same email address about a month ago and, like you, haven't heard anything back. Thanks.

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thanks mrjinks, it was totally unexpected, of course without your help I would not have received it

yes it was very nice from the EMI guys:thumbsup:
    Not so nice to put out another boxset so soon!:D

I ordered mine from thehut. Just buy it from Amazon and everything will be OK. Have no fear:)

I emailed EMI on 05/20/2011; the sleeve arrived on 06/05/2011. Shipped from the UK. I see you're located in the USA. This may account for the delay

10. floyd

floyd Senior Member

to anyone who got the replacement sleeve for side 3 and 4 of The Wall.

Did the sleeves match in color and paper quality to your originals?

I was late to the game with this box and when I did buy it I got one with side 3 printed twice. I emailed EMI but never heard anything. Much later I saw someone selling them on Ebay so I figured I would just buy one to make the set complete. I received it today and I notice the print is more yellowish than the white on my original and the paper is a bit different. It looks to be cut and glued the same though.

11. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Hi; sorry for the late reply. The replacement inner sleeve for CD 2 of The Wall ( "Oh by the way" boxset version) is slightly thinner and whiter than the CD 1 one. If "originals" referred to the vinyl version, I'll have to check. I only have an old German LP version that I bought 2 hand that's now stored in a box.

Hope it helps

floyd likes this.
  12. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Thanks Marcel. I was referring to "originals" as in regard to the mini-lps only. My CD 1 sleeve and CD 2 with side 3 lyrics printed on both sides, sleeves are actually whiter than the replacement sleeve I received from the ebay seller, that made me wonder if it was possibly just someone printing some off and gluing them up the guy seemed to have more than one.

13. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're very welcome, Floyd. My replacement was shipped directly from EMI and... let's just say I've seen better sleeves before but that's a minor issue. I am glad their customer service took the time to send me what I asked for

floyd likes this.
  14. mark kirk

mark kirk Forum Resident

I pre-ordered this from amazon.ca back in the day and had EMI send the replacement sleeve as soon as it arrived. I just had a peak and yes, it is a bit on the yellowish side. I still have the original incorrect sleeve and it's a bit whiter, as is the sleeve for the first disc.

15. floyd

floyd Senior Member

good to know. I think mine is probably legit then. From the ebay description it seemed to indicate a real one so I am not going to worry about it. Fun set to have though with the mini lps- I have come accross some of the PF Japanese mini LPs for a few of the titles and although those are nicer in some ways the "oh- by the way" box is cool to have the labels of the albums on the discs. Pink Floyd is one of the few artists I will justify having multiple copies of the same thing for.

mark kirk and PH416156 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.