Pink Floyd's Oh By the Way - box question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sytze, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Anyone who has this boxset,can you comment on the wall`s mastering?
    Out of the entire boxset I`m most interested in the wall and animals.
    I couldn`t find anything in the old threads,so I`m just asking a brief opinion

2. foobar2000

foobar2000 New Member

As always you'll find folks here who love 'em over all others, folks who strongly disagree, and folks who have no clue yet still insist on posting about it. You can choose someone to agree with, or listen and decide for yourself.

Generally (generally!) folks like the original Sony Japan versions of Floyd albums, of which there are none on OBTW - or the original EMI ones (my favorite) of which there are several. On the other hand the Doug Sax/James Guthrie versions which make up the balance of the set are not a botched mastering by any means. I don't think there are any versions of any Floyd albums that are truly bad, the way there are for (say) Genesis.

For Animals Kevin was just discussing yesterday how the version on OBTW is his favorite:
    See post #283/286:
    http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=169599
    You will, of course, find other opinions there too.

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Thankyou Foobar2000!

4. Got my Box Set from what will be known as "the controversial Amazon.com box set 'sale' of 2009" for $23.97 & all I can say is I am thrilled with everything about this box. Look great, sounds great, tastes great, less filling...the whole nine yards. If I liked it anymore, I'd take it out to lunch.

5. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

I stand corrected.

6. Anybody know the answer to this? TIA!

7. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

They did reprint it. They should send you a corrected one on request.

8. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I received the box yesterday as well. The original glitches are still there --- the misprinted Wall inner sleeve and the reversal of the labeling on the UmmaGumma discs.

Did they correct BOTH of these errors? If so, what is the email address to request replacements?

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

I suggest you to contact Amazon's customer service for a replacement;)

...just kidding!

Back on topic..

Thanks a lot to Foobar for the mastering list;

Confused (to say the least) by the choices made here by EMI\Capitol.

It looks like random criteria at work as they could have chosen:

The most recent mastering for each title
    OR
    The best mastering for each title

Instead they (management? J. Guthrie?) choose to put a mix of old,very old and new..with, I have to say,controversial results as (if I'm not mistaken) Dark Side has the redbook layer of the 2003 SACD, probably not the best mastering of that album IMHO , Animals is still the original Euro disc and A saucerful of secrets the old NR'd version.
    Still, a terrific set worth for the packaging alone. And sure, it has some great sounding discs too!

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Please help me understand. I thought Sax remastered Meddle ~1994? If this is a level shifted version of the original USA CD release, why is it described as the 1994-version?

So, on the OBTW box, the following discs have a 'less than desirable' mastering? Piper (compressed), DSOTM (compressed/clipped), Final Cut (compressed/clipped).

11. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

All that praise and you still ain't footin' the bill for lunch? Geez, what's a box set got to do these days to earn a decent meal? :shake:

:winkgrin:

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

SamS,

This is what happened in Europe :when these remastered discs were released here in 1994-1995, Doug Sax was credited on the booklets but they were just the old Harvest masterings...I believe that at that point the only Sax mastered disc released here was the 20th ann. Dark side. I believe that when Foobar mentions Level shifted version of original EMI Mastering from 19.. he is referring to the european Harvest\EMI old CDP series..
    I was surprised too when I bought the brand new remastered Animals just to discover it was the 80's mastering in a new dress (booklet)

13. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think that makes sense.

Rats! In the mid-90's, I bought the expensive import (Holland?) remastered version of Animals. Is it just the same as the old USA Harvest version?

If so, is the remastered version considered inferior?

14. I HAVE noticed that the Wish You Were Here disc contained in the Oh By the Way set is not the same mastering as my 1994 US Sax disc. They both sound good, though.

15. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

My "remastered" Animals is EMI Uden (Holland) pressing (Check the matrix) cat. 7243 8 29748 2 6. Probably the same as your expensive import copy.
    On CD, Animals was released in the USA on Columbia and most recently Capitol CD's, not Harvest.

16. I requested one using the feedback form on EMI.com. I hope my request gets to the right place!

17. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Go to www.pinkfloyd.com and look for the news entry dated 15 January 2008. There's an email address where one can request a replacement "Wall" sleeve - I can't copy & paste the related "news" item, though. I doubt it's still working, though, as I requested a replacement about a month ago for a used set I picked up that had the errors, and have heard nothing in response. I just re-sent my email again a few days ago...

I'd hoped to score one of the $23.97 sets as a b-day present for a fellow Floyd fan, but wasn't as lucky as some!

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I'll check this evening, thanks :thumbsup:

19. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

You're welcome:)

20. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

To save me a search was the entire Shine On Box mastered by Doug Sax?

21. That site won't load--at least, it wouldn't yesterday and it still won't today. The site www.pinkfloyd.co.uk loads but it does not have the link for requesting the corrected liner.

22. Yes, I believe it marked the debut of the Sax masterings in the US.

23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That is nice to know, Thank you.

24. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Odd. It works just fine for me. But I'm guessing it's a flash-driven site or something (?). That's probably why I can't copy & paste the news item, and that might be why you're having trouble viewing the site (?). Trust me, it's there!

Attached Files:

• pf.jpg
      pf.jpg
      File size:
      60 KB
      Views:
  25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

It loads on my PC. I'm using Firefox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.