Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kurtphyre, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ok, I'm a dummy on this one. I know Mr. Sax does great work but is the current US cd worth having? I usually don't get too much into Floyd but I'm hopping on the bandwagon to get this album...er...cd. :)

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I was wondering if you had made a mistake in your original Dark Side of the Moon post. In my opinion, the non-TO disc sounds much better. The TO disc is harsh and loud by comparison.

As for Wish You Were Here, I prefer the original 35DP 4 disc divided into two tracks over the Japanese pressing with catalog number CDCBS 80955, which is divided into five tracks. Some people like this five-track mastering, but I do not.

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I fully agree.

4. Gsquared

Gsquared New Member

UK Remaster

I have several WYWH in both CD and vinyl. In digital, I generally like the 1992 remaster distributed in the the UK. It has more natural (if that means anything for Floyd) balance then the others. Super Bit Map is bright.

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I just listened to this CD last night for the first time in years. It is not my favorite Pink Floyd album so I bought the widely available Doug Sax mastering. I figure if Doug Sax put his name on it, then it can't sound bad.

Listening to it last night was a revelation. I had forgotten what a sonic treat this album is. The deep bass rolled across the listening room and I could feel the pressure. The sound of the speaking voices was startling and chilling in its realism.

While the sound effects can seem gimmicky when I am not in the mood last night they were surreal and evocative. The electric guitars cracked the air in an envelope of slight feedback but they did not sound harsh. The inner harmonics of the keyboard sounds were richly revealed. And to use the ultimate audiophile nerd cliche, it gave me goosebumps.

I don't know why this album grabbed me again last night after so many times listening to it, but it did. The bottom line, I looked up this thread and now I have to go find the original two-track CD. Thanks a lot guys! ;-)

6. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Is the 2-track still as expensive as it used to be?

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I hope so, mine was $ 350.00 in 2010. Collector's Condition, flawless.

8. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

H
    Holy Smokes!

9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Seriously, save yourself some money and pick up a Mastersound copy. It's very good and you can the money you saved on more music. :)

Blue Collar Man likes this.
  11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

None of them sound bad. I have four different masterings on five discs the shelf. All bought in the bins for less than $10 each. I think that the Japan for UK or Europe Harvest blackface sounds pretty snazzy and should be pretty cheap in comparison to the 35dp4 two track.

12. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

I read through this thread and I don't think I saw anything about the US Mastered reissues from the early 80's.... I have one with the matrix DIDP 50004 11A8 --- Does the low end sound weird to anyone else who has this pressing?

13. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

How does the latest remaster compare? Since it's the only one I will ever buy. And I don't mean to step on anyone who spent their hard earned money wisely.

14. cakeface

cakeface Forum Resident

Is there a pic of this cd? just to know what to look for.

15. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

16. Stryking

Stryking Member

I own the 2011 remaster just for the bonus tracks and the CK 33453...

As much as I want the 2-track it looks a bit expensive for me.

What would the second best be? Preferably split into the 5 tracks...

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  17. Khodre

Khodre Forum Resident

Hmm, I'd never paid any attention to which version I had. But looking, I see I have the 2 track version.

mdm08033 and Front 242 Addict like this.
  18. Stryking

Stryking Member

Personally, I'd rip the album and sell the disc for a few hundred :p

19. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

I have the 1984 / 5 tracks cd Harvest ‎– CDP 7 46035 2 UK & Europe,
    sounds nice except from the first track that sound a bit harsh to me but maybe this is how the track recorded.

sometimes I see the 2 tracks cd on ebay and I put it in my watch list but I know that if I give in to the urge to order it with those prices ( 1,499.99$)
    I will have to seek asylum in one of the embassies in my country LOL

Last edited: May 21, 2015
    mdm08033 likes this.
  20. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

That's the second issue of the Japan for Japan issue. The first issue would be gold tinted. Both are uncommon.

The same mastering can be found on what appears to be a common American or Japan for US 5 track copy. A two track can't be spotted by the case. You must look at the disc for the 35DP-4 matrix near the hub. To confirm, place the CD in a player and press play. If you you only see two tracks, you have a winner. Pick up your jaw and proceed to the Led Zeppelin bin of the used CD shop and look for a red Japanese Target of Led Zeppelin IV.

That said, if you can't afford a two track edition the Harvest Japan for Europe black face sound pretty awesome.

Say, cakeface and Front 242 Addict like this.
  21. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Looking at this thread, I don't see that many people picking the 2 track over the Mastersound gold CD. Given my experience, if someone has another version of this on CD, particularly the Mastersound gold CD, I doubt that their jaw will be dropping when the 2 track is heard. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.