pink floyd wish you were here CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dnewhous, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

No idea-but who cares you have the 2 track:righton:

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Eveready? :laugh: , indeed.

;)

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

With all of this debating...is there really a bad version?

4. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I have about seven or eight versions of this album on CD now.
    My top three are:

1. Black Label Harvest
    2. 35DP-4
    3. Master Sound.

I am also fond of the Japanese 28DP 5005.

Regards

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My first one on US Columbia from 1985 was a hissy dull mess. It might have been a made in Japan disc with US inserts.

But some folks like that warm hissy duller sound so I have noticed.

Once first gen masters were finally used like in the Shine On box, there was no looking back for me. I'm weird like that, just prefer first generation tapes when they can be mastered like the Shine On box, and the next remaster on Sony/Columbia.

Too much detail was missing for me on those first WYWH (and DSOTM for that matter) issues for my taste.

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Yes! Agree! Bring on SACD 5.1

7. dnewhous

dnewhous New Member Thread Starter

I have the Sony/Columbia 97 remasters of The Wall and Momentary Lapse and I hate the sound and they have very similar sonics. There is also a 97 remaster of Wish You Were Here. I like the Doug Sax remasters, which are dated 1992->1996 depending on the CD.

8. dongle

dongle New Member

The differences are fairly large, when you compare them side-by-side. That is, considering they are not re-mixes. Seems like the '80's ones are more similar to each other then they are to the '90's ones. As you would expect. The compression on the Mastersound, or whatever technique was used to make the quite sounds louder, really makes it the oddball of the bunch. Once you compare some side-by-side and note the differences they jump right out at you the next listen.

In the end though, if I only had one CD of this, I'd probably think it sounded fine.

9. dongle

dongle New Member

Now, that is interesting! I think Fumi is the first one here to directly compare the two-track with the blackface? Is that the original Japan blackface? How would you describe the sound in relation to the two-track?

I wonder if that 28DP is the same mastering as the '85 first US pressing I like?

10. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Really??????????????????:bigeek: Blackfaced harvest in front to 35DP-4?

11. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That's funny. On another thread, someone called the black-faced Harvest "horrid" sounding. I remember saying that as far as I could tell, there wasn't any version that could be considered "horrid". Now I read someone saying it's their favorite? I still have to say that this title is well represented on CD. Any version will likely make you happy... until you visit the Steve Hoffman forums and get this weird disease, "Two-track-itis".:laugh:

12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I've had the Harvest, Mastersound, The "Now Made In USA", the "Shine On" boxset maybe a few others, and now the 2 track..

I keep the 2 track & sold the others. It just sounded the best to ME.

13. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Maybe fumi didn't pay enough for the 35DP-4 to like it *that* much!?!?!? :laugh:

14. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

No, I really like it. There are days when it sounds the best and other days when maybe the Japanese Black Face Harvest or the MS get me in the mood. Music is a very subjective thing, I guess.

The same thing happens with DSOTM - most of the time, my 'Non-TO' pressing gets the nod but then I'll have a day where the MFSL (UDI) or the SACD have the edge.

I think we'd all like an SACD of WYWH though.

Regards

15. chargrove

chargrove Forum Resident

Only if it's done well. DSOTM missed the bullseye.

16. Hey, how about a new thread about combining two album titles from the same band: Wish You Were The Wall? :D :D

17. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

I know exactly what you're talking about. For my favourite cds it seems insufficient to have only one version. (And the classic Floyds are the best examples for me.) :cheers:

18. dongle

dongle New Member

So, Vernon confirms that (according to him) there was a proper US release of the Japan Harvest blackface CDs, and that they pre-date the US release of the two-track.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=2470900&postcount=22

Open question whether the two-track mastering pre-dates the blackface one, but that would seem likely, given it was released here first?

19. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

When that happens to me, I just clean the earwax from my ears... seems to fix the problem. :angel:

20. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Thanks. I had seen the earlier post but didn't see anything more detailed or substantive.

This post was at the beginning of page four for me. Must be different settings? I'd never noticed this before.

EDIT: I see Fumi likes the Japan Harvest blackface real well. Interesting. I have only that issue and have done no comparisons. I'm getting the itch to do so, alas....

21. slayerkc

slayerkc Forum Resident

Any idea as to how much the value goes down for a buffed copy of the original Japan-for-U.S. disc divided into two tracks or what would be a good price to pay for it?

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Depends on the buyer. There are some who would never buy a buffed disc. For myself, I could care less as long as the buffing action didn't take off a half-pound of plastic. :laugh:

Seriously, most of these buffing machines merely polish the surface. A few microns of substrate get removed. No biggie. In fact, the amount of plastic removed is probably less than the manufacturing variance on the CD thickness. I am sure that a CD manufacturer has a wide tolerance on the final CD thickness.

Of course, saying this, I'd be more leery if the polishing effort left swirls.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I found a copy of the 35DP4 two-track Wish You Were Here this weekend. I have been looking for a copy with the obi for a long time, but unlike the DOTM obi (which appears from time to time), the Wish You Were Here Obi seems to have disappeared over the years and frankly, after a while, you just have to call it quits.

Anyway, I am happy with the purchase, and it sounds great, although very similar to my 5-track . I have two questions:

1. The CD face has a very distinct gold tint, particularly on the edges. The play side of the CD is silver. Were all 35DP's like this?

2. What kind of case did the CD originally come in? Was it smooth top? White tray or black? I want to replace the case with a "historically accurate" one.

Thanks in advance.

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I only own one other, Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water", and it is also gold tinted on the label side.

My S&G is in a patent-pending, smooth-sided case. My US 35DP Pink Floyd is also in one. I'd say that it's likely that your copy came in one as well.

Kevin

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Kevin -

Thanks. What color are the CD trays?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.