Pink Floyd The Wall - CD from Harvest/EMI - Could be best ever.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Just came across a Japan Harvest CDS 7 446036 8 today but unlike the one I found last year the matrix has CDS instead of CDP. I'm out of town for a few days but wondering whether these will have the same mastering or are somehow different. Any comments? That CDP matrix version I found is out of this world!

mdm08033 likes this.
  2. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Wow, I did not expect to read this (post #219);
    Pink Floyd The Wall - CD from Harvest/EMI - Could be best ever.

If the above is correct (no reason to doubt) with the documented infamous click being present on CDS matrix CD2
    then it could explain the transition to the CDP matrix CD2 with crossover editions sharing both matrices as listed, could it not?

3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

A wee titbit of useless info and Sellers look away now;

In the UK I remember two prices for The Wall cd in 1987 to later 80’s @ £19.99 and £29.99
    which I have just run through the BoF (Bank of England) inflation calculator (nice).

1987 - £19.99 = £53.46 in 2017
    1987 - £29.99 = £80.20 in 2017

4. M;chele

M;chele Active Member

Hello all. My name is Michael and i am new here in the forum. I found this thread by searching for information about my Harvest Black Face version of "The Wall". I read through the complete thread and found many useful information about the different versions of this wonderful piece of music. First: my version is the first one one could get in germany. In the 80th there was a big warehouse in Dortmund germany called "Karstadt". They had a really good cd shop there. One of the biggest in germany in that days i guess. The dealer told me, during one of so many visits in the shop , that "The Wall" will be available on cd in the near future and he pre-ordered it for me from his distributor. Many weeks later i got a call that the cd has arrived. When i opened it at home, it was delievered locked by foil, there was no book in it as mentioned here in this thread before. I guess the very early ones were sold before the books have been produced in holland. CD1 CDS 7-46036 2 matrix 1A2 C, CD2 CDS 7-460 37 2 matrix 1A1 C. Nothing written on the back of the jewel. I do not know how to insert pics directly here?

Best regards

Michael

5. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Welcome to the forum Michael

6. M;chele

M;chele Active Member

Thanks!

BTW i forget to mention: My version is the made in Japan Harvest Black Face.

Best regards

Michael

7. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I had several of these first pressings with 1A2 C/1A1 C matrices ('patent pending' on both sides of the jewel case) and each of them had a booklet so it should be included. They probably forgot to add them for a few of the early copies.

Welcome to the forum.

M;chele likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

M;chele likes this.
  9. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member

I have The Wall Harvest CDS 7 460368 cd. With Printed in Holland by EMI on back right corner of case,bought it new and I must say it still sounds dam good, also have remastered cd and Original first Dutch Vinyl copy, great album great Band.

10. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

If of any use, the two booklet rears I have for early-ish editions (no barcodes);
    (Apologies for the appearance of image pinking)

Booklet Version One UK / Europe / US - Japan Black Face Cd’s with CDS or CDP Matrix
    Booklet rear without catalogue number and without Printing Credits
    [​IMG]

Booklet Version Two UK / Europe – Silver Faced UK Cd’s with CDP Matrix
    With catalogue number: CDS 746036 8
    Printing credit: Printed in Holland by EMI Services Benelux B. V. Uden
    [​IMG]

11. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

It appears the UK CD press booklet (imaged above as v2) sits neatly between Japan for UK 3rd issue
    and UK press as 4th issue, before the addition of ‘Marketed, manufactured and distributed by EMI;
    Pink Floyd Archives-U.K. CD Discography

12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Just took delivery of the second release Harvest Japanese made black face CD of The Wall that was released in 1986. I gave it a listen and was very impressed with the SQ. Years ago I had a MFSL copy and remember enjoying it too. This one is very crankable. My MFSL copy is long gone so I can't do a direct comparison but I plan on hanging on to this one.

13. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Speculative, but I would have thought it is more likely to predate 1986, especially if the U.S
    cut off point is at late 1985.
    Pink Floyd Archives-U.S. CD Discography

The U.K EMI Harvest (altered levels / non-barcode) would have first hit the shelves sometime in late 1986.

Out of interest does the booklet for the ‘B’ pressing fit with the images above or any at the Pink Floyd Archives.

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For my ipod rip i just have the forsides as one long track each. Gets rid of clunky indexes and they were meant to be heard complete anyway.

Mbe likes this.
  15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If I have one complaint about my iTunes (my fault), is that I didn't put in that type of information when I dowloaded my CDs. Since I do not own CDs anymore, I have no idea and cannot go back and check.

But thankfully, all my CDs were bought in Canada, so my copy sounds great.

Mbe likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thanks for your input. I was reading through the extensive PF archive site and will have to go back and recheck.
    Update-I was mistaken, this one looks like a first issue according the matrix numbers and other indicators. Thanks again for your comments.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Mbe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.