Pink Floyd Sax Remasters not remastered in Europe - my Empirical Analysis

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atreides, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

When you say The Wall has a different EQ compared to the in-print US Sax remaster were you referring to the US Capitol/EMI pressing that came out after Sony lost their contract for the US Floyd titles. I have a chance to purchase this but if the differences are really minor I'll pass. Any more info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

2. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Dredging up this thread as I ran across a The Wall made in Argentina that credits Doug Sax but it looks to be different numbers than the US/Europe ones. I assume this is just a tweaked version? Does anyone know about this one at all? Pink Floyd Archives-Argentinean CD Discography »

3. ultron9

ultron9 The quest for perspicuity and grace continues...

Rediscovered this thread and compared my copies of The Wall and Animals

The Wall: US Anniversary Edition, Columbia 1997 ('99). Japan mini lp cd, Toshiba-EMI, 2001
    Both have the same Peak Levels according to Vernon Fitch' site, therefore the Sax remasters. Strangely the Japan disk seems very slightly softer in tonality, could some eq. changes have been applied?

Animals: US Capitol remaster, Best Buy edition, 2000, Sax remaster. Japan mini lp cd, Toshiba-EMI, 2001.
    Again, same peak levels as per the info in Vernon's site, basically Sax 90's mastering, the Japan issue also seems a bit softer in eq. compared to the US issue.

This is something I've encountered before with some US vs Japan masters, yet some subtle sonic differences...has anyone else done similar comparisons...ruling out level shifting as occurs in many instances.

4. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Yes, I've heard the exact same thing with an Elton John remaster - Captain Fantastic. Both have the same peak levels, but the Japan mini lp version is smoother and less bright.

5. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

That's what I got from my Shine On version. Apparently I have the 4th issue UK release. I was dumbfounded about what it could be and another member pointed me to this thread. The Wall that came with it has 17 tracks at 100

6. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Can I assume that in Brazil the same occurs? Before the 2011 remasters, only Piper to Obscured By Clouds (skipping ASoS and Meddle) are real Sax remasters?

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Off topic - just checked and the Japan mini lp version is NOT the same as the 1995 Rocket remaster. I KNEW IT! They may have used the same source, but the peak levels and DR values are different. And it sounds better. Not as good as the German original, but very good. Much better than the Rocket remaster, and the redbook layer of the SACD. The German DJM blows it away, though. And the US/Japan MCA don't hold a candle to the German.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.