PINK FLOYD - Meddle - Black Triangle Disc CP32-5032 Japan 1st pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wolf66, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

I have to say that with my cheap system my two Meddle versions sounds pretty good:

Japan Black Triangle

and

Japan Black Face

BTW My JBT does it have a TO on matrix, there's a version out there with non-TO on matrix?

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  2. Capt Fongsby

Capt Fongsby Music is the best. ... And cats.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but...

Just received a Meddle Black Triangle (thank you pig whisperer) and ran a test against my Japan BlackFace Harvest.

BT matrix: CP32-5032 2A1 TO
    BF matrix: CP32-5032 CDP 7 46034 2 4A1

Except for a 10 millisec offset in starting point, they are bit-identical.

3. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Well I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about peak levels and bits. However, Barry Diament has stated before that 3 Cds mastered from the same source and pressed at 3 different plants, whilst bit identical, can sound very different from the original master and from each other. I know the computer guys say bits are bits, but I would have to be nuts to disagree with someone like Barry. I can only guess that there is more to this than just copying/pressing a CD and that the quality of the manufacturing equipment and things like D/A Converters do have an effect on the sound.

Maybe someone Like Barry with more knowledge and experience of these things could comment...without this sinking into the usual arguments?:angel: (This was also raised previously on the Floyd's Animals thread which showed there was only one or two mastering for the whole lot from Japan 1st press to the remaster)

4. I have the Japan black face, the black triangle, and the MFSL. All three sound great, and I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with any of the three I listed above.

If you must have the MFSL, or black triangle, and money's not an object, then go get em'. If your budget is on the low side, get the black face Japan CD. You'll be getting the same great sound, for a lot less money.

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have to look to be sure, BUT I believe that my JBT Meddle does not have a TO in the matrix code

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

In Dave's absence, I can tell you that he has been looking for different versions of the Blacktriangle. I am guessing (because he asked me when selling one), that he has the idea that perhaps,... just perhaps, the Non TO and Non UK catalogue number matrix, may be better. A Holy Grail possibly.. just like DSOTM.

7. Capt Fongsby

NOOOOOOO......

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Well Tore, I am only guessing thats what 6 Pms with questions were about:D

Incidentally, You would obviously have to believe that the Non TO Non CDP DSOTM is better to follow this idea through to the conclusion I have drawn.
    And by default, have to accept that "bit identical Cds" sound different

ScottJ- Dave did say he was going to do a shoot out, I know he is very methodical in comparing these things, so its only my conclusion that this is what he was looking for. Dave is Dave

9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:( Well... I had the MFSL vinyl of TDSOTM whose sound was awful to me. I much prefer the original UK Gramophone vinyl. And I am surprised that many here praise the MFSL CD of TDSOTM which I've never heard. Does the MFSL CD sound a lot better than the MFSL vinyl?

10. Capt Fongsby

I have to admit I have a hard time accepting that. It's a bit like saying different copies of the same book have different words in them. But this has already been debated ad nauseam, and I really don't want to go there...

11. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Digitally identical cds can sound bit different because cd creation process on different factories is different,glass mastering can be different and empty before-stamp cds can be different.

12. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

It may be more like saying that the words are printed in blacker ink on whiter paper, making it easier to read..not that the words are different

13. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I bought the black faced Harvest disc in '86. Was the BT disc pressed at the same time, same mastering, but just issued for the UK and US Market?

14. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Probably, blackfaced for Europe/UK and Black Triangle for Japan

15. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I hesitate to bump this thread back up, but I have a question.

Today I found an early US Capitol MEDDLE (CDP 7 46034 2) with CAPITOL JAX
    AND CP32-5032 in the matrix. Is this going to be comparable to a BT or a BF Harvest? Does anyone know?

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

If it has CP32-5032 in the matrix, the odds are very high (but not certain) that it will sound similar or identical to the Black triangle. I have upgraded my BT a number of times; probably have 3 or 4. Is someone still looking for matrix codes?

17. CybrKhatru

Thanks. I hoped that might be the case. :)

--M

18. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I just revisited Meddle over the weekend after seeing David Gilmour's new DVD in the theatre. I know which version I like on CD, but musically this blew me away all over again. Great stuff. (And not overplayed)

19. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

20. wolf66

wolf66 New Member Thread Starter

I'm repeating myself here, but I have the Japanese CP32 BlackTriangle, the MFSL UDCD I Made in Japan and the WG Harvest BlackFace CD.

My favorite disc is the WG Harvest BlackFace, which according to Dr Merkwürdigli (if I remember correctly) is the same mastering as the UK Harvest BlackFace CD, only with different volume levels.

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Folks, stay on topic. This thread is about the sound quality of various pressings of Meddle on CD. It is not about who is here and who is not. Please focus your discussion on the music with the members that are here.

Let's also not debate sound quality as a function of pressing plant (jitter, etc.). Those debates never go anywhere.

22. The first releases were the Toshiba pressed CP32-5032 BT for Japan and the blackface for NA and Europe. This disc may have come with Capitol inserts printed in USA later like many early EMI discs did.

There may be a Sony DADC USA pressed Capitol disc for USA in 1985-6 as Capitol USA had discs pressed for the USA/Canadian market, before their plant (EMI Capitol JAX) and Canadian contractors opened up. I've never seen one, but there are other EMI titles from the same time like this.

The Capitol JAX presed disc with CP32-5032 in the matrix, used the black triangle glass master, but was actually pressed at the Capitol JAX plant. This was very common for Capitol JAX to use other plants' masters and they did the pressing and molding. The disc is likely the same as the Harvest & BT version other than the slightly different silver face Capitol label.

I would be very surprised if any of the above (except the Sony DADC USA, if it even exists) sound anything but identical, since they are all from the same glass master from Toshiba.

23. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Great info (as usual) FFracer. You really know your stuff on these early pressings, and I for one, am grateful:thumbsup:

24. My pleasure, we're all enthusasts!:)

25. CybrKhatru

Thanks very much for the detailed info, ffracer! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.