Pink Floyd Discovery Box is here... (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Still on sale at Costco for $149.99. Both Immersions are $89.99

2. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Cheap! Who knows if the immersion boxes will follow a similar path

3. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

Amazon US deal going on right now - 151.99

4. chaz

chaz Senior Member

The Pink Floyd Discovery box has been marked down to $109.99 at Costco in Richmond, BC, Canada. Don't know about any other Lower Mainland Costco's though.

5. Burnt

Burnt Well-Known Member

It's been marked down to $109.99 at the Barrie, Ontario costco as well. At least it was last week when I finally picked up a copy.

6. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Mine arrived from Amazon. I've never seen such shoddy packaging! A replacement is on it's way. :realmad:

Attached Files:

• PF1.jpg
      PF1.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
    • PF2.jpg
      PF2.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
    • PF3.jpg
      PF3.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  7. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Aggravating, but not unexpected. Their packaging quality has really plummeted recently. More than half of my music shipments from Amazon arrived damaged this year. I no longer order anything else than jewel cases from them as these I can replace if they break. Still looking for a retailer with better packaging habits...

Hopefully your replacement will arrive in better shape.
    Good luck!

8. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident

Don't feel too bad. My last $180 box set went to a customer in another state, while received the Beatles book they ordered! And no it wasn't " Recording the Beatles" That may have worked....

9. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Ouch, that sucks.
    Mine arrived from Amazon U.K., but the box was dispatched from Germany.
    The packaging could be better, but it arrived in one piece.

Protection only on 2 sides,and not everywhere. A bigger box with protection on the 4 sides was a better idea;

[​IMG]

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I got the Discovery set along with DSOTM-Immersion set from Amazon.co.uk when they were released, and they were packed really good.
    Similar to what marantzbe has on the pic, but my package far more filler in the box for securing it.
    It was well packed overall.

Im not sure whats going on with Amazon now, they are posting vinyls also in plastic kind of bags:realmad: I already gave them feedback about it.

11. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I submitted all three photos to Amazon as Packaging Feedback.

12. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Is there anyone besides me that finds the 2011 Guthrie smoother and easier to listen to than the Sax? The 2011 has slightly less bass, however, it's tighter and more pleasant to listen to. The 2011 midrange vocals are also smoother and a little more pleasant. There are no harsh moments on the Guthrie, whereas on the Sax, there are moments which slightly grate.

I don't want to feel this way because it means I have some more buying to do.

13. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I only have the two Experience sets. To me, the 2011 DSOTM is a definite improvement over the Sax master. However, I preferred both the Sax and the Mastersound masterings of WYWH over the 2011 mastering. I guess it's a case-by-case basis.

14. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

This looks like my books, although there was more protection inside in my case. It worked fine either way, the box is not damaged. You have to be aware that the people they employ make very little money and therefore have no serious interest to do their job well. Better working conditions and higher wages would be a start!

Also: UK mailers are notoriously bad.

15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

That's a bit unfair I have never had a problem with any of my packages being damaged etc that i remember, but I have received scratched discs and even one fire damaged Cd which was labelled as mint from Germany (Amazon.de) !

16. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

???? I've never had any packaging problems with goods sent from Amazon UK at all. Don't know where you get this "information" from.

17. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

i got the Discovery box as a gift today. I've only played Meddle. It sounds good and I like the digipaks and the fact that the booklet doesn't tell me how great Pink Floyd is and why I need to like them. I'm looking forward to digging deeper. Although I've only played one disc, so far, it looks to be a good sounding set of cd's for a vinyl die hard.

18. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I can already see the signs of the latest EU meeting fallout... LOL

19. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

Since this is apparently the discussion thread for the remasters, or at least the best one I can find, I'd like to ask a question.

I have a bunch of Pink Floyd on CD already, here's a run down:

Sax Remaster
    Animals
    Atom Heart Mother
    Meddle
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Wish You Were Here

Original Columbia
    The Wall

Here's what I don't have:
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    More
    Obscured by Clouds
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Ummagumma

What I'm thinking is picking up the new remasters for everything I don't have except for Piper. For that, I'll just get the 2 CD version since I want the mono mix. Of what I have already, I'll only replace Animals, Meddle, and Atom Heart Mother with the new ones since The Wall and DSOTM are supposedly not that impressive. I also think I'll buy the SACD of WYWH.

So, my collection will eventually look like this:

Sax Remaster
    Dark Side of the Moon

Original Columbia
    The Wall

SACD
    Wish You Were Here

2 CD Anniversary Edition
    The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

2011 Remaster
    A Saucerful of Secrets
    Animals
    Atom Heart Mother
    Meddle
    More
    Obscured by Clouds
    Ummagumma

So, how does this look? I'm not going to chase down obscure Japanese copies, BTW.

20. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I would recommend getting the 2011's for everything you like. In my opinion, these remasters, even DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall, are very impressive. Smooth, creamy, crankable and clear.

Edit: I am not saying this because I have purchased them. I would prefer not purchasing these again, but I cannot escape my reluctant conclusions based on extensive comparisons.

21. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I went ahead and ordered the following:

A Saucerful of Secrets
    Animals
    More
    Obscured by Clouds

22. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

After listening to all these I lament not being able to receive a damn decent 24/96 package that is affordable. Okay, I love the remasters and it's the best Floyd has ever sounded. But when I think of Beatles charging 250 for a USB and only 24/44 I am a little glad they didn't try that here I am just perturbed they cannot offer us digital guys anything better or do something like KC but I am sure the milk it formula will give us that down the road too.

Anyway, solid stuff. Appreciate what they have done I wouldn't even know where to start. The band members were obviously in control as nothing sounds too loud though it can get loud. I am surprised we have no serious complainers on a couple of tracks at least lol.

23. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I love this box but why couldn't they have included a rarities disc or at least Relics with "Embryo" tacked on for good measure? I just hate having a comprehensive package and then a few stray discs on the shelf. I want to go to Discovery and have the whole damn shootin' match, ya know?

24. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

What happened to Zabriskie Point as well? I have a remaster of that off a torrent though.

And like others said, the album not closing totally over the side edge happened with the beatles releases as well. Kind of disappointing if you just paid a ton.

25. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

True.

General experience. The way some British people ship LPs, you'd think that they were aiming to destroy them.

-----------------------------------------

I read a post yesterday here somewhere that included a detailed list on the remasters used on the Oh By The Way box. Now, I can't find it. Can anyone help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.