Pink Floyd 2011 / 2012 release schedule on Amazon.com

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zbinks, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Thanks for the breakdown. You have articulated quite clearly an otherwise confusing set of changes in release rights.

Aside from Piper and DSoTM (for which I purchased the 40th anniversary 3-disc set and the 30th Anniversary hybrid-SACD respectively), I have all of the U.S. Sax remasters up through Animals. But the WYWH album I suppose is the anniversary edition you speak of. It has a copyright date of 1997 and CK 68522 (Columbia) type-written on the spine. By contrast, my other Sax remasters all have a 1992/94 copyright years and, in addition, the artwork on the face of the WYWH CD also seems to be of a different general design than the others. However, when I open the booklet it does indeed state:

"Remastering Supervised by James Guthrie
    Digitally Remastered by Doug Sax at The Mastering Lab, L.A."

so I guess this is just an ever so slightly repackaging of the Sax remaster (issued in 2000 but copyrighted in '92/'94???).

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Harvested rules!

Just thought you'd like to know.

P.S. You're killing me, can't wait to see the new stuff.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

P.P.S. Hey rontoon, any technical info on how the 8mm stuff is being transferred? Telecines and such. Thanks.

4. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

Not sure if Nick Mason's quotes have been discussed here, but i just came across this article:

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/220517/lifestyle/pink-floyd-in-race-against-time-to-reissue-albums

Exact details of the contents were not available, but EMI previewed several previously unreleased tracks including a fast-tempo live version of "Money," and an early mix of "The Great Gig in the Sky" without the soaring vocals of session singer Clare Torry.

Mason was particularly proud of a track he assumed had been lost to history, a version of the title track from 1975's "Wish You Were Here," featuring French jazz violinist Stephane Grappelli.

It dates from sessions at London's Abbey Road studios, Pink Floyd's primary recording base, when Grappelli and fellow violinist Yehudi Menuhin were working down the hallway.

"They came to say hello, which was delightful," Mason recalled. "Someone plucked up the courage to ask them both if they'd like to play something on the record. Stephane absolutely was up for it and I think Yehudi would have liked to, but he's not an improviser and I think he just felt he couldn't do it."

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sorry, I have no idea of the details. I'm simply a pawn doing some of the grunt work. :wave:

6. Atreides

Atreides Forum Resident

Yes it is. WYWH 1997 Columbia release.

Yep. Since the remastering was made between 1992 and 1995 it doesn't matter if it was reissued in 2000, the remastering used is the same, the one made in 1992/5.

The change in artwork for WYWH is probably a consequence of the change in label. Capitol 2000/4 reissues use the same artwork that has been used bi EMI on their EU-world issues back from 1992/5. EMI remastered albums have always stated the year of remastering, as did the Capitol ones (Piper to DSOTM) that used the very same artwork. For WYWH 1997 Columbia release the liner notes are different and don't state the remastering year. This happens with all Columbia 1997 ones. As the albums went back to Capitol, they used the EMi artwork with their liner notes instead of Columbia's, unifying the releases with the EMI ones.

And not only the liner notes are different. The CD labels are too. In WYWH the Capitol one has a picture of flames, right? just like the EMI does, instead of the black label with shaking hands. In Animals the Battersea Station picture was replaced by a picture of a dog.

7. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

So, wait, we've got 2/3 disc editions of DSotM, WYWH, and The Wall, along with mega big versions of those albums, then single disc versions of everything else, but not the 3 albums that are getting the special treatment? And then there's a boxset which has all the albums but no extras? Right? So if you buy the boxset you don't get the extra disc from the "Experience Versions" of DSotM, WYWH, and The Wall?

This is the most complicated reissue program ever. The mastering better be decent on these, or it's just going to be a big waste of everyone's time.

I can't be bothered going through this thread. Is the mono mix of "Saucerful" being included somewhere?

8. genesisfan

genesisfan Forum Resident

Instead of just re-working album art, they should have included The Wall as originally intented, with all the last-minute cuts (20 min of music in total)
    :wave:

9. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

They are also releasing single disc versions of those three albums (The Wall is two disc) and yes, the boxset doesn't include those extra discs.

10. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

It wont be available unless they decide to make Immersion-set of the Saucerful Of Secrets.

11. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Are you telling me the Experiences contain tracks NOT on the Immersion boxes? What tracks might those be then?

The Immersions are supposed to be for completists, right? It would be awkward having to buy the Experiences as well to get everything...

12. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I think he meant the extra discs included in the experience sets are not in the discovery box.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Ah yes of course, Discovery box. Stupid of me. This reissue program gets a little confusing sometimes.

Thanks for clearing that up RedRaider99.

14. Lionheart

Lionheart New Member

As we're being tempted with all kinds of extras to buy these immersion sets, perhaps the band could have included a cigar with Wish You Were Here? Some cash back with Dark Side Of The Moon would have been a nice touch. Or how about a miniature brick with The Wall? What goodies would you like to have seen :)?

15. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Agreed. I've been saying this for years -- ever since I learned (via an article in Goldmine) about all the last minute edits. I still can't understand why this hasn't already happened. It appears to be Roger's call here, and I can't see why he wouldn't want the album restored.

16. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Yes, I meant the Discovery boxset. Sorry that i didn't explain it so clearly

17. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Although I love the music, I know very little details around the recording of Floyd's albums. Were there meant to be extra songs included then, or were the tracks simply edited? (apologies for the dumb question)

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Hi ! :wave:

No apologies, no stupid questions mate

There's virtually ZERO info about recording of Floyd albums by liner notes and others.
    But there's A LOT of info on books. The Wall's bible is "Comfortably Numb: A history of the Wall" by Vernon Fitch and Richard Mahon

I have the book, and EVERYTHING you'd like to know is there.
    At the last minute, several parts of music were edited out. One example is What Shall We Do Know. On the original LP there was even lyrics printed, but the song finally never appeared. Also In The Flesh? intro was edited, as well Thin Ice, etc

I can't remember now, but there was a webpage with all the info about edits. I remember reading it, and it says that 1 minute of guitar solo was edited out on Comfortably Numb! :cry:

I think side 2 was the most edited

19. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Thanks for the info, I'll have to seek out the book. I had heard previously of Comfotably Numb having an edited solo, but I didn't realise there was more. Hopefully, there'll be a re-think before the Immersion set is released then.

20. Big A2

Big A2 Forum Resident

It's obvious that Empty Spaces was longer too, with the movie version and whatnot.

Right. I'm guessing they'll just bring out a 2 or 3 disc set with mono mix and live stuff, and maybe a DVD with a surround mix if it's possible. I can't really see them charging over $100 for an album like Saucerful.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Ain't gonna happen. It is what it is. :shake:

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They are two different songs.

What shall we do now is the song featured in the film and also in the demos. So we should be getting it in a demo for sure, but who knows of the finished song.

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I haven't read the Comfortably Numb book (so correct me if I'm wrong) but I've heard that Empty Spaces on the original album is actually Empty Spaces Part 2 that should have followed (I think) Don't Leave Me Now. The track Goodbye Blue Sky should have been followed by the combination Empty Spaces Part1/What Shall We Do Now? (the same combination used in the film).

24. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.