Pink Floyd 2011 / 2012 release schedule on Amazon.com (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Why? It would be much easier to just turn down the volume by 1.8db on your playback system, because that is all you're doing there...

Thanks to those posting the waveforms, any chance we can get a zoom in on some of those 100% peaks? (to see if they clip or are just sitting there at 0db)

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6tr...com/?lang=es&hl=es_ES&feature=player_embedded

Just noticed that this isn't all original footage. I suspected something fishy when I saw all the CG-looking psychedelic stuff during Breathe... seemed to early for 1972. But then I noticed they're using the Why Pink Floyd? logo. My guess is that the screen films were never meant to take up the entire song and now they're just stitching them together with new footage made to look like the old footage.

I'm just a few minutes into this but that's my theory.

EDIT: Okay, this becomes more obvious during Time.

Nice to get a preview of the entire Wembley performance of DSOTM.

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Thanks for that, its all good though isn't it?:righton:

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, of course. I like the way they attempted to recreate the cheesy 70's graphics and animation.

5. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

:agree:

6. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Only listened to Have a Cigar so far, but so far I am really liking these remasters! I have yet to critically compare them to my needledrops but my initial conclusion is that, IMO, is that Wish You Were Here trumps the early Japanese pressing CD. No goosey EQ, no NR that I can detect.

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So..thats really promising.

8. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Are you referring to the first Japanese pressing of Wish You Were Here, the 2-track CD with catalogue number CBS/Sony 35DP 4?

9. Masza

Masza Forum Resident

Yes, there's no sense in that. There is still a 1.8 dB loss in dynamic headroom.

10. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Yes, with pre-emphasis properly handled upon playback.

11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. Sounds promising, to say the least. I'll have my copy next week.

12. botley

botley Forum Resident

I looked closely at a few of these: it appears that no more than 2 or 3 consecutive samples peak at 0dB; that's hardly clipping at all, and it's not going to be audible on most systems. But if we had all these remasters available at 24-bit sample depth, instead of just 16-bit CDs for all but two albums, there would be no detectable clipping at all as I understand it.

13. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Having never heard any live Floyd from the 70's, I loved this 1974 Wembley performance. The only live DSOTM in my collection is Pulse which I never enjoyed much. I think I need to at least get the Experience edition now if I can escape the lure of the Immersion box.

Were any of the 1974/75 DSOTM tour shows professionally captured on film?

14. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Ugly as hell though!

15. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

Ugly as anything packaging wise though...

16. Norm Apter

Norm Apter Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Not that I know of, but there's this little clip of the first incarnation of "Sheep" (aka Raving and Drooling) from Knebworth July 1975 that surfaced last December:

Raving and Drooling 1975

17. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Target is offering a $5 gift if you buy two Pink Floyd remasters ($10 for single disc remasters) making it $7.5 for each and a very good deal indeed. Since I already own the OBTW box, I'm waiting for some more reviews here before heading to the store on Tuesday.

18. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Here is a 21sec sample of Have a Cigar from the remaster. I got the synth, drums, vocals in for balance sakes. Note that the flac is 32-bit float, Adobe Audition has this funny thing about upping the bitdepth despite no editing (just cut and paste) so I didn't want to put it back to 16-bit in case it causes aliasing. The samples are still 16-bit so the upsampling didnt alter the samples FWIW.

http://www.mediafire.com/?24pf9u8sn2f62hf

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

On iTunes you can now see the 35 (out of 64) demos that will be available on The Wall Experience edition out in February. Unfortunately no samples yet.

20. Raf

Raf Senior Member

21. nfloyd

nfloyd Member

I think the packing is great, its formed like a book and as you know when you read you Discover a book. So the design and name on the boxs fits very very well indeed.

22. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...t-was-a-fantastically-fruitless-exercise.html

There are also plans to allow fans to make creative contributions to the band's music and iPhone apps to apply a modern twist to their incredible legacy.

"The apps are a nod to the future," explains Mason. "We have to join the 21st Century. I don't spend a lot of time on new music but I do spend a fair amount, particularly talking to kids, about how to work in today's music industry."

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Can anyone post some pics of the book in the Discovery set, or describe the contents?

I'm not buying the Discovery box, but am interested to know what's in the book.

25. Rfi

Rfi New Member

Yay! My Piper At The Gates Of Dawn is here. Amazing! I was blown away when I began playing it. Truly definitive for the stereo mix IMO. Got it cranked to the extreme with no fatigue, detecting no brightness either on my monitors or Senny HD650's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.